MP40's Modelguns Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
MP40's Modelguns Forum

International Forum for Modelgun enthusiasts

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

MGC ABS CP M16A1 M656 CARBINE "AIR FORCE VERSION"

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

Number of posts : 11073
Location / Country : North Wales
Registration date : 2008-07-20

MGC ABS CP M16A1 M656 CARBINE "AIR FORCE VERSION" Empty
PostSubject: MGC ABS CP M16A1 M656 CARBINE "AIR FORCE VERSION"   MGC ABS CP M16A1 M656 CARBINE "AIR FORCE VERSION" Icon_minitimeTue Aug 12, 2008 2:22 pm

Post by Madmike

Well I decided to do a short review of a ABS MGC M16 finally. I got this model from www.modelguncollector.co.uk - it is still on their website so if you like just check it for more and better pics. Anyway this particular model should be sold as I have it now.

Reason I got this model was that I am too keen on AR-15 rifles, and this was a version without forward assist, something I did not yet have in my collection. Even more it was in such nice, unfired and boxed condition that I had to get it.

MGC sold this as M656, the Air Force Version of the M655 with forward assist. Anyway I doubt if there ever was a real M656 made by Colt, something I could not verify. Even more the M16 Carbine with 14,5 inch barrel and standard stock was the M651, not the M655. All Airsoft and modelgun companies seem to get this wrong. The M655 was a full size rifle, tested but never adopted as a sniper rifle. Details are still unknown.

The Air Force was the first to buy the new AR-15 in the early 1960s. Those models did not yet have a forward assist helping to close the bolt. Anyway Air Force officials never thought such a device was necessary, so they ordered all their M16/M16A1 rifles and carbines without such a forward assist, something the Army thought would be highly necessary to improove reliabilty of the gun. Maybe this was because the Air Force used most of their guns for guard duty and thus they were rarely fired and/or used in rugged terrain.
Although fixed stock carbines were never adopted by US Forces - Army, Navy and Air Force - there were some Carbines with retractable stock, used by guards, special reaction teams and combat air controllers with the Air Force.

Fixed stock carbines were exported in a limited number and can sometimes be seen. I found a picture of a South Vietnamese soldier with such a rifle, but looking closely, you can see that this seems to be a hybrid model (propably field made), using a M16A1 lower receiver, and a XM177E1/M609 upper with 10 inch barrel and big flash hider.

MGC ABS CP M16A1 M656 CARBINE "AIR FORCE VERSION" CarbineM16

About the model:
It is well made and detailed, exactly the way you´d expect it from MGC. It is mostly ABS and thus a little light, about 2 kg. It has few metal parts, especially the whole front sight is metal. Markings are different, only a Colt horse and “MOD. 656 – CAL 5.56 MM – 4267970”. No “M16” or “Property of U.S. Govt.”, so I think these are realistic export markings. On the other side of the receiver there is “SPG – MADE IN JAPAN – MODELGUNS CORPORATION”, something that is not very realistic and avoided on the later MGC HW series. The lack of the forward assist gives the gun a special appearance, and it takes a little until you get used to it. But it looks good, rather “plain”, no gimmicks.
Being ABS it is said to be more durable as the later HW models (I had two MGC HW M16 receivers brake in the last two years. One was new and unfired and did not survive the transport).
It came with a brass dummy round and a few accessories as well as a nice, grey mil coat finish 20 rd “Vietnam era” magazine. I added new CP carts and a new, blued 30 rd magazine which looks very good on the gun. I really like it but won´t have the heart to fire it.

MGCUK were very friendly and helpful as always. Something I really like about them is that they stick to their word, always. If they say it is “like new” and “unfired”, it is. If they say it is complete, it is. If they say they testfired or reworked something, they did it. A “Yes” is a “Yes” and a “No” is a “No”, period. It is a highly professional way of business. Of course their prices can´t be as cheap as you can find them in HK or Japan, but they have to pay for shipping and taxes, and they have to make a living.

MGC ABS CP M16A1 M656 CARBINE "AIR FORCE VERSION" M656-1-1

MGC ABS CP M16A1 M656 CARBINE "AIR FORCE VERSION" M656-2-1

MGC ABS CP M16A1 M656 CARBINE "AIR FORCE VERSION" M656-3

Please apologize the bad pictures, the dark autumn is taking its toll and I just can´t find the time to take pictures in the garden at daylight.

This is not to put you guys in the UK down by showing what you can´t get no longer! It is the other way round as I am trying to cheer you up. Anyway I am sure anyone beeing at least half as crazy about AR-15s as me will feel the need for one of those strange carbines.
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

Number of posts : 11073
Location / Country : North Wales
Registration date : 2008-07-20

MGC ABS CP M16A1 M656 CARBINE "AIR FORCE VERSION" Empty
PostSubject: Re: MGC ABS CP M16A1 M656 CARBINE "AIR FORCE VERSION"   MGC ABS CP M16A1 M656 CARBINE "AIR FORCE VERSION" Icon_minitimeTue Aug 12, 2008 2:23 pm

Post by Claymore

Nice review madmike glad to see you putting your knowledge of M16 varients to good use please do some more my knowledge on these weapons is pretty slim.
Back to top Go down
https://mp40modelguns.forumotion.net

MGC ABS CP M16A1 M656 CARBINE "AIR FORCE VERSION"
Page 1 of 1