MP40's Modelguns Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
MP40's Modelguns Forum

International Forum for Modelgun enthusiasts

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Interesting MP44 curio

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
pitfighter
Modelgun Master
Modelgun Master
pitfighter

Number of posts : 616
Location / Country : Hollywood, California
Registration date : 2008-09-07

Interesting MP44 curio Empty
PostSubject: Interesting MP44 curio   Interesting MP44 curio Icon_minitimeWed Sep 14, 2011 2:48 am

Hi all,

Picked up a strange curio - would like someone with a Shoei MP44 to take a quick look at theirs so they can comment on a comparison with this one.

It is a "replica" MP44 - the upper receiver and mag housing is inscribed SMG Shoei, that and the barrel, front sight, etc are all finished in the same matte black paint that we are all familiar with in replica guns - I have an Fg42 , 1921 Tommy, AR15, UZI (here's a pic of the lovely FG) -
Interesting MP44 curio 2011-09-13163318

my curiosity was caught by this MP44 curio because:
1. The lower receiver which is not zinc (or pot metal), has truly original aged feel is marked "WaA 245" below a waffen bird on left above trigger guard, above well-aged wood grips.
Interesting MP44 curio 2011-09-13162308
Interesting MP44 curio 2011-09-13162222

2. The stock is marked "jvd" behind the trapdoor opening and "4274" in the wood underneath the cheek.

3. forestock, is marked below and close to the mag housing "aqr"
Interesting MP44 curio 2011-09-13162333

4. the magazine - phosphate finish, marked "chn" on floorplate outside and "jvd" on inside - on the follower, very vague "1vm" - on the mag itself "MP44" on one side and "1001" on the other.
Interesting MP44 curio 2011-09-13162539
https://2img.net/h/i127.photobucket.com/albums/p140/figaro1971/2011-09-13162352.jpg
Interesting MP44 curio 2011-09-13162239

If these are all replica parts and I'm mistaken, they are really very convincingly aged.

Thanks for any info. love the idea of finding archeology.

I will take it apart when I have time, I imagine looking inside the lower receiver would confirm whether that part was a replica or not.

Jesse.

Last edited by pitfighter on Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:46 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
smootik
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
smootik

Number of posts : 1823
Location / Country : Poland
Registration date : 2009-03-03

PostSubject: Re: Interesting MP44 curio   Interesting MP44 curio Icon_minitimeWed Sep 14, 2011 11:51 am

pitfighter wrote:

1. The lower receiver which is not zinc (or pot metal), has truly original aged feel is marked "WaA 245" below a waffen bird on left above trigger guard, above well-aged wood grips.
2. The stock is marked "jvd" behind the trapdoor opening and "4274" in the wood underneath the cheek.
3. forestock, is marked below and close to the mag housing "aqr"
4. the magazine - phosphate finish, marked "chn" on floorplate outside and "jvd" on inside - on the follower, very vague "1vm" - on the mag itself "MP44" on one side and "1001" on the other.
1) there is also a serial number, just before "ac/44" marking, out of photo frame
2) jvd is code for Erste Nordbohmische Metallwarenfabrik Adolf Rossler, Niedereinsiedel, Sudetenland, who were stock plate subcontractor for Haenel.
3) aqr is code for Metallwaren- und Maschinenfabrik Lux, R&O, Lebenstein, Turingia, who were hand guard subcontractor.
4) mag floorplates were done by C R Ebert, Suhl, Turingia and C Hermann Nendel, Chemnitz, Saxony (codes unknown). "chn" is suspiciously close to the second factory name.

Other than that (info from "Sturmgewehr" book) I can't help much...
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

Number of posts : 11075
Location / Country : North Wales
Registration date : 2008-07-20

PostSubject: Re: Interesting MP44 curio   Interesting MP44 curio Icon_minitimeWed Sep 14, 2011 12:15 pm

Hi Jesse

It's good to hear from you Very Happy I've been searching through as much information as I can find trying to identify the maufacturing stampings on your MP44

The only thing I know for sure at the moment is that your magazine is a genuine, post war East German produced item.
Magazines marked with factory code "1001" were made by Ernst-Thälmann-Werke, Suhl,
Thüringen.

I've been reading through http://claus.espeholt.dk/mediearkiv/m44_c.pdf looking for both WaA stamp and Factory stamp but can't match up with yours scratch I can't find any reference to WaA245 at all which seems odd, but I have found Factory Code "aqr" which is:

aqr- Lux, R. u. O., Metallwaren- und Maschinenfabrik A.-G., Marienthal-Bad Liebenstein/Thuer.

It's known that MP44s were assembled using parts made by several manufacturers during the latter part of the War so upper receivers made by one factory would be assembled onto lower receivers made by different factories.

I'm almost certain that Shoei only recently introduced WaA and factory stamps into their MP44 and the new STG44 so I wonder if a previous owner has grafted a real trigger group / lower receiver onto your Shoei model Question
Could the lower receiver be from a parts kit intended for assembly into a live firearm Question

I guess one way of knowing for sure if Shoei made and stamped these parts would be to e-mail them direct. Tomio at Shoei is very approachable and friendly. Try him at info@shoeiseisakusho.co.jp

Hobby collector of Replica model guns and Militaria.
also member of Living History Reenactment Groups.
Back to top Go down
https://mp40modelguns.forumotion.net
pitfighter
Modelgun Master
Modelgun Master
pitfighter

PostSubject: Re: Interesting MP44 curio   Interesting MP44 curio Icon_minitimeWed Sep 14, 2011 4:18 pm

Hey thank you so much for the info. guys, that is awesome material, I have quite a lot of literature on the real MP44, but that is great stuff so thank you!

I pulled apart the internet apart looking for pics of the Shoei lower found some good clear ones on modelguns-worldwide, then decided to look for pics of the actual MP44 lower - confirming with very little doubt that this is a real lower.

I stayed up late and with curiosity (don't you love finding stuff like this?) disassembled the lower, and there are proofs and serial numbers all over the internals, and the trigger mechanism is 100% steel, for sure not die-cast.
(I will post some pics)
The text font and steel used in the Shoei handguards is also quite distinctly different to the originals, and they also use the same text font on their stocks - it is quite different to the WW2 German font.
The mag markings and material left me in little doubt about it's heritage - but very interesting to know it's East German.

So the fact remains - there is a good lot of Shoei MP44 parts somewhere, because this model is pretty much all original parts.

In this lot was an FG42, MGC AR15, Denix MP40, SSRoom MP40.
(Crappy cellphone pic)
Interesting MP44 curio 2011-09-13151812
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

Number of posts : 11075
Location / Country : North Wales
Registration date : 2008-07-20

PostSubject: Re: Interesting MP44 curio   Interesting MP44 curio Icon_minitimeWed Sep 14, 2011 4:55 pm

Glad to know we were able to help Jesse.

That certainly is an interesting MP44 you have there. If there are any factory stamps inside the lower receiver it may well be possible to trace where and when it was made.

wouldn't it be something if it was manufactured 1944-45:?:

Hobby collector of Replica model guns and Militaria.
also member of Living History Reenactment Groups.
Back to top Go down
https://mp40modelguns.forumotion.net
smootik
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
smootik

PostSubject: Re: Interesting MP44 curio   Interesting MP44 curio Icon_minitimeWed Sep 14, 2011 5:28 pm

Great find Smile

If you want to look up some details, "Sturmgewehr" book is probably the best one:
http://www.collectorgrade.com/bookshelf8.html

I can look up for you more details based on photos or other data.
Back to top Go down
pitfighter
Modelgun Master
Modelgun Master
pitfighter

PostSubject: Re: Interesting MP44 curio   Interesting MP44 curio Icon_minitimeWed Sep 14, 2011 5:51 pm

Thank you, Smootik,

I will get to a more thorough disassembly of the MP44 later.

It is a keeper, as is the FG, and MP40 9mm, the others are not staying, so I'm listing them around the internet.
I do not have the space for a modelgun armory, lol.

I wish the FG was made of genuine parts, too, lol.

Thank you again,

Jesse.
Back to top Go down
pitfighter
Modelgun Master
Modelgun Master
pitfighter

PostSubject: Re: Interesting MP44 curio   Interesting MP44 curio Icon_minitimeWed Sep 14, 2011 11:13 pm

Here are some pics of the lower receiver - not sure what the story is.

It appears cosmetically very different to the Shoei replica receivers.
The modelgun company also uses a text font that is quite dissimilar to the WW2 font.

These were also posted on a WW2 weapon collectors site, lots of interesting opinions.
Most seem to think it is a replica Shoei receiver and barrel "dressed up" with original parts.

I did a cursory search on gunbroker.com for prices for these parts, this combo looks to be more valuable than any of my real steel registered pre-ban assault weapons that i thought were overpriced, lol Shocked .

Thanks for your input guys,

Jesse.

Interesting MP44 curio 2011-09-14144426
Interesting MP44 curio 2011-09-14144415
Interesting MP44 curio 2011-09-14144443
Interesting MP44 curio 2011-09-14144500
Interesting MP44 curio 2011-09-14144526
Interesting MP44 curio 2011-09-14144606
Back to top Go down
pitfighter
Modelgun Master
Modelgun Master
pitfighter

PostSubject: Re: Interesting MP44 curio   Interesting MP44 curio Icon_minitimeThu Sep 15, 2011 4:42 am

Smootik,

The serial number on the mag housing is part of the upper receiver, in this case that is the Shoei made "pot metal" one, so the serial number is one of their invention.
*BTW - the upper receiver is considered "the firearm" in the US, as you probably know.
We can buy Machine Gun receivers, but they must be saw cut three times with a specific amount of metal missing from the three cuts. Or 80% complete, meaning unopened cocking slot, unfinished milling, etc.
Question

So the general consensus is just what you figured Cerwyn,
Replica receiver and barrel, with original WW2 fore-handguard, lower receiver trigger group, wood stock, mag.
I am thrilled, this one is going into the collection.

From another site: "Looks legit to me. From a 'X' block rifle which would have been a Haenel (FXO) 45 dated MP44 or STG44."

Signing out,

Johnson.
Back to top Go down
smootik
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
smootik

PostSubject: Re: Interesting MP44 curio   Interesting MP44 curio Icon_minitimeThu Sep 15, 2011 9:43 am

Duh, I totally confused myself with upper/lower/trigger group.
I thought that whole receiver is banned in US and was puzzled why real part could be used there at all.

Thanks for clarifications Smile
Back to top Go down
jim
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
jim

Number of posts : 988
Location / Country : Hong Kong / Sydney, Australia

PostSubject: Re: Interesting MP44 curio   Interesting MP44 curio Icon_minitimeMon Sep 19, 2011 8:51 am

Hand's Up for me - I always thought only what the pic shows here are considered / registered as "firearm" in the US (apart from the sear - other parts incl. upper receiver / barrel / stock are considered as replacmant parts) scratch

Interesting MP44 curio VFCMP5SemiLower

Also:
http://www.westernfirearms.com/wfc/hkmp5?set=52&sz=1345x639
http://www.westernfirearms.com/wfc/hkmp5?set=58&sz=1345x639
Back to top Go down
pitfighter
Modelgun Master
Modelgun Master
pitfighter

PostSubject: Re: Interesting MP44 curio   Interesting MP44 curio Icon_minitimeMon Sep 19, 2011 5:50 pm

edit.

Jesse.

Last edited by pitfighter on Tue Sep 20, 2011 5:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
pitfighter
Modelgun Master
Modelgun Master
pitfighter

PostSubject: Re: Interesting MP44 curio   Interesting MP44 curio Icon_minitimeMon Sep 19, 2011 5:52 pm

You can buy the trigger group without a license in the US.
You can but any part of any gun except the receiver, without a license, in most states.

*Except the AR15 series of weapons, where the trigger group is the receiver, confused yet?

Is the case of the HK (semi-automatic) this is the part (the receiver) that needs to be transferred:
http://www.pooshka.com/a.php?aid=12952

You can but parts kits of dozens of different types of machine guns or grenade launchers, as long as the receiver is destroyed or missing, there is a strict definition to what constitutes being destroyed.
Just check gunbroker under "parts kit" or "cut receiver"
(for fun hit NFA Class 3)

http://www.gunbroker.com

Jesse.
Back to top Go down
jim
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
jim

Number of posts : 988
Location / Country : Hong Kong / Sydney, Australia

PostSubject: Re: Interesting MP44 curio   Interesting MP44 curio Icon_minitimeTue Sep 20, 2011 6:43 am

Getting so goddamn complicated (US law that is) Mad ...but thanks Jesse Very Happy ...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Interesting MP44 curio   Interesting MP44 curio Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Interesting MP44 curio
Page 1 of 1