MP40's Modelguns Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
MP40's Modelguns Forum

International Forum for Modelgun enthusiasts

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Corroded KSC M93R

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
jim
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
jim

Number of posts : 988
Location / Country : Hong Kong / Sydney, Australia
Registration date : 2008-09-07

Corroded KSC M93R Empty
PostSubject: Corroded KSC M93R   Corroded KSC M93R Icon_minitimeSat Oct 15, 2011 6:35 am

Have been focusing on GBB & other stuff lately and therefore neglecting my modelgun collection - and to my dismay I found this...

Corroded KSC M93R M93R01
Corroded KSC M93R M93R02

Brief Autopsy Report: the glue inside the side mag plate leaked out and then corroded the rest of the area (I stored some of my pistols upside-down inside the cupboard) - so want to see if you guys will have some easy solutions for it - THANKS!
Back to top Go down
kiwigunner
Modelgun Master
Modelgun Master
kiwigunner

Number of posts : 556
Location / Country : Auckland/New Zealand
Registration date : 2010-03-10

Corroded KSC M93R Empty
PostSubject: Re: Corroded KSC M93R   Corroded KSC M93R Icon_minitimeSat Oct 15, 2011 8:20 am

Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
You must feel pretty upset mate!

Can you tell me what chemical the glue is, and how much steel, and how much zinc is affected?
I can ask my chemistry experts what they would use neutralize the stuff, and then inhibit it maybe...... Question Question Looking at your photos you may be able to fix the mag; the mag-well may need something more.
What a bummer! Mad
I wonder what else you could do...

Kiwigunner
Back to top Go down
http://anzaction.weebly.com/
walmic
walmic

Number of posts : 29
Location / Country : Germany
Registration date : 2011-01-23

Corroded KSC M93R Empty
PostSubject: Re: Corroded KSC M93R   Corroded KSC M93R Icon_minitimeSat Oct 15, 2011 10:14 am

Hi Jim.
I know that superglue is solvable with the acetone, but I'm not sure whether it will even damaged the color of the gun. If you want to take the risk, would try with acetone to remove the remains and when it will be necessary to use this here >click<
Wink

Last edited by Cerwyn on Sun Oct 16, 2011 3:34 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Link opened and included for information (Cerwyn,Site Admin))
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

Number of posts : 11075
Location / Country : North Wales
Registration date : 2008-07-20

Corroded KSC M93R Empty
PostSubject: Re: Corroded KSC M93R   Corroded KSC M93R Icon_minitimeSun Oct 16, 2011 3:45 pm

Corrosion can usually be sorted out if caught soon enough Smile

Thank you for the link to Casewell, that should be very usefull for restoring Black/Blue finish to steel.

There are other brands of refinishing liquids and pastes available that will work well on Steel, Zinc Alloys and Aluminium. Please note that compounds intended for steel may not work on Zinc and Aluminium.

Have a look at Birchwood Casey's range, also ask Francky or Shazhb about Indy Zinc Blue liquid and the accompanying Polishing Cream.

If you use the "Search" feaure and type in "Bluing" and "Refinishing" you'll be directed to several threads showing results achieved with these

Hobby collector of Replica model guns and Militaria.
also member of Living History Reenactment Groups.
Back to top Go down
https://mp40modelguns.forumotion.net
jim
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
jim

Corroded KSC M93R Empty
PostSubject: Re: Corroded KSC M93R   Corroded KSC M93R Icon_minitimeMon Oct 17, 2011 10:19 am

kiwigunner wrote:
Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
You must feel pretty upset mate!

Can you tell me what chemical the glue is, and how much steel, and how much zinc is affected?
I can ask my chemistry experts what they would use neutralize the stuff, and then inhibit it maybe...... Question Question Looking at your photos you may be able to fix the mag; the mag-well may need something more.
What a bummer! Mad
I wonder what else you could do...

Kiwigunner

Not too sure what KSC used to stick the mag plate - and I believe the magwell is made of zinc instead of steel...but as you says Kiwi - the mag can be fixed more easier and I might have to order a new mag well to solve it...
Back to top Go down
jim
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
jim

Corroded KSC M93R Empty
PostSubject: Re: Corroded KSC M93R   Corroded KSC M93R Icon_minitimeMon Oct 17, 2011 10:22 am

Thank you all you guys for the kind advice though Very Happy ...
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

Number of posts : 11075
Location / Country : North Wales
Registration date : 2008-07-20

Corroded KSC M93R Empty
PostSubject: Re: Corroded KSC M93R   Corroded KSC M93R Icon_minitimeMon Oct 17, 2011 11:12 am

Assuming the adhesive hasn't damaged the zinc magwell, it should be possible to clean away the corrosion with abrasive paper and wire wool. Brass brushes can be useful too. Birchwood Casey's "Aluminium Black" has given me excellent results restoring zinc, as has the Indy Zinc Black.

Steel can be restored to as new using Birchwood Casey PermaBlue Paste which is ideal for small areas. Don't despair, these things can look as new again Very Happy

Hobby collector of Replica model guns and Militaria.
also member of Living History Reenactment Groups.
Back to top Go down
https://mp40modelguns.forumotion.net
kiwigunner
Modelgun Master
Modelgun Master
kiwigunner

Number of posts : 556
Location / Country : Auckland/New Zealand
Registration date : 2010-03-10

Corroded KSC M93R Empty
PostSubject: Re: Corroded KSC M93R   Corroded KSC M93R Icon_minitimeMon Oct 17, 2011 11:17 am

Jim, I'm no expert, but from your photos, the zinc corrosion looks like what is called "white rust" that occurs to zinc or zinc coated products. I've seen it often on zinc plated steel roofing sheets.

It is also often called "wet storage stain" on those zinc plated steel products. Underneath the white coating is usually a dark gray surface. The corrosion product (white) is sometimes very voluminous; it is often many times greater in volume than the zinc consumed. study
I presume the leaking glue altered the pH of the zinc and caused it to corrode on exposure to the air.
To stop the corrosion from continuing, the object just needs to be aired out to remove any moisture and allowed to dry - washing and a wire brush will remove most of the corrosion. For complete removal, 10% acetic acid can be used. Thorough water rinsing afterward is a must. Sadly it does not restore any previous nice surface finish! Sad

You may be able to repair the damage spots with a two part epoxy filler, then paint it. Question

Normally white rust can be prevented for a limited amount of time by coating in a light oil, or grease but the leaking chemical overcame that. A more permanent solution is to paint the exposed surface.

You may find some of the things other members & Cerwyn have posted can help restore the finish. sunny
Good luck Jim! I'm sure you'll find a way! Wink

Kiwigunner

Last edited by kiwigunner on Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:19 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo corrections)
Back to top Go down
http://anzaction.weebly.com/
jim
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
jim

Corroded KSC M93R Empty
PostSubject: Re: Corroded KSC M93R   Corroded KSC M93R Icon_minitimeMon Oct 17, 2011 5:09 pm

OK thanks a lot Gentlemen - will try Very Happy ...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Corroded KSC M93R Empty
PostSubject: Re: Corroded KSC M93R   Corroded KSC M93R Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Corroded KSC M93R
Page 1 of 1