MP40's Modelguns Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
MP40's Modelguns Forum

International Forum for Modelgun enthusiasts

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

DENIX M1 Garand

Go down 
+4
stumpy_ned
claymore
smootik
kramstaar
8 posters
AuthorMessage
kramstaar
kramstaar

Number of posts : 10
Location / Country : Australia
Registration date : 2013-02-16

DENIX M1 Garand Empty
PostSubject: DENIX M1 Garand   DENIX M1 Garand Icon_minitimeTue Feb 19, 2013 1:47 pm

G'day folks and many thanks for giving me the opportunity to join your forum. My profound thanks for letting me through the door…

For my first replica related post I thought I would share the upgrade I did on a Denix M1 Garand.

Regrettably there isn't much that can be done (without incurring unwanted expense) to change the fact that its a Denix replica so I opted to rather create a version that was more in keeping with a 1942/43 model but still preserving some of the Denix tells - for example the absence of serial numbers, the badly resolved breach-barrel, the safety, oddly placed screws, the eject etc.

I started by reworking all of the metal by removing the paint and the horrible 'soft' edges and seams Denix models are renowned for and I drilled out the front sight to try and rectify the manufacturing short-cuts Denix had made there. After I had finished the remodelling, I re-blued all of the metal keeping a slightly worn finish and I then turned my attention to the stock.

Taking a heavy chain, I hammered dents into the wood making sure the wear was in the right places and typical of the kind of abuse a weapon would have been subjected to during wartime. To enhance the wear, I dropped flat black paint into the dents before I stained (with polish), aged and varnishing the wood.

The buttplate was scoured of paint and also dented and chipped to show natural wear and tear. When everything was done to my satisfaction, I added authentic cartouch stamps to the side of the stock (matching a June 1942-October 1943 Garand) and a genuine WW2 vintage leather sling was added as a finishing touch..

DENIX M1 Garand Garand_Small

I hope this is of some interest…

Regards

MARK
Back to top Go down
smootik
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
smootik

Number of posts : 1823
Location / Country : Poland
Registration date : 2009-03-03

DENIX M1 Garand Empty
PostSubject: Re: DENIX M1 Garand   DENIX M1 Garand Icon_minitimeTue Feb 19, 2013 3:53 pm

Welcome to the forum Mark1

Nice job there!
Your work did make a difference to the way this model looks, and I am sure you enjoy it much more now :-)
Back to top Go down
claymore
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist

Number of posts : 1233
Location / Country : London
Registration date : 2008-09-07

DENIX M1 Garand Empty
PostSubject: Re: DENIX M1 Garand   DENIX M1 Garand Icon_minitimeTue Feb 19, 2013 5:11 pm

Yes welcome to the forum, have to say pics look you have done a very nice job on that and much improved the Denix looks. I know most of use dont have a huge amount of time for denix models but they are what they and that is display models at a pretty good price.

Back to top Go down
stumpy_ned
Modelgun Enthusiast
Modelgun Enthusiast

Number of posts : 87
Location / Country : UK
Registration date : 2012-04-21

DENIX M1 Garand Empty
PostSubject: Re: DENIX M1 Garand   DENIX M1 Garand Icon_minitimeTue Feb 19, 2013 8:20 pm

Nice looking job there.

I'm curious what the Garand looks like when it's stripped down.
Back to top Go down
kramstaar
kramstaar

DENIX M1 Garand Empty
PostSubject: Re: DENIX M1 Garand   DENIX M1 Garand Icon_minitimeWed Feb 20, 2013 12:55 am

Thanks all - warmly appreciated to be sure.

Yes, the Denix is pretty sloppy generally and I wouldn't bother with them if there were other options legally available in Aus.

Field stripping? The inner workings are certainly not like the real deal and if it wasn't for the fact that the metal is so soft and the screws prone to stripping, I'd take it apart again to show you..

Cheers again

Warm regards

MARK
Back to top Go down
stumpy_ned
Modelgun Enthusiast
Modelgun Enthusiast

Number of posts : 87
Location / Country : UK
Registration date : 2012-04-21

DENIX M1 Garand Empty
PostSubject: Re: DENIX M1 Garand   DENIX M1 Garand Icon_minitimeWed Feb 20, 2013 11:41 am

Not even modelguns? I would have thought that if someone can buy a Denix then they could buy a modelgun. Licence H isn't it? Francky sells what looks like MGC M1 Carbine receiver/trigger group kits minus the working parts, so maybe it could be an option to slowly build up a carbine - http://www.ebay.com/itm/Replica-firearms-parts-MGC-Japan-pfc-cap-firing-US-rifle-receiver-set-/261127305924?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3ccc667ac4. Apparently he'll ship to forum members even though his listings only state US only.

Receiver and trigger sets are the hardest parts to replicate due to their intricate nature. Internals should be much easier. I've made replacement bolts, cocking handles, recoil rods, extractors and ejectors with just a hand file, hacksaw, bench top vice and lots of brews. Dremel wouldn't go amiss either.
Back to top Go down
kramstaar
kramstaar

DENIX M1 Garand Empty
PostSubject: Re: DENIX M1 Garand   DENIX M1 Garand Icon_minitimeWed Feb 20, 2013 12:31 pm

Cheers @stumpy_ned --

Each State has different rules and in some States you're not even allowed to own a resin replica - even a Sci-Fi weapon like a Star Wars blaster..

There is nearly always an issue if the model has a moving hammer or trigger which can result (if you try and import a replica or part of one) in the item being seized and possibly thrown into a furnace.

In the few States where they do allow replica's, the replica almost always has to be securely locked up in a cabinet or safe. Also, no replica may fire any kind of projectile so airsoft's are totally banned in Australia.

Those replica's that are intended for display only (like a Denix that doesn't fire or chamber any kind or projectile) may only be imported by approved vendors unless you apply for a temporary import permit - which can be successful and sometimes not. Unregistered people may not even own part of a weapon - even a magazine - so while its not totally impossible, for 99% of folk living here its extremely difficult to own a decent replica let alone a genuine firearm.

Looking at that terrific link you posted, from bitter experience I know that it would be practically impossible to legally import that into this country..

Cheers for your comment.
Regards

MARK
Back to top Go down
akazz
Modelgun Enthusiast
Modelgun Enthusiast

Number of posts : 73
Location / Country : uk
Registration date : 2012-08-09

DENIX M1 Garand Empty
PostSubject: Re: DENIX M1 Garand   DENIX M1 Garand Icon_minitimeWed Feb 20, 2013 12:39 pm

nice work looks a lot better and more in keeping with the period Very Happy
Back to top Go down
gary gordon

Number of posts : 29
Registration date : 2012-11-18

DENIX M1 Garand Empty
PostSubject: Re: DENIX M1 Garand   DENIX M1 Garand Icon_minitimeThu Feb 21, 2013 12:55 pm

Very impressive! Looks class mate,Very good job!
Back to top Go down
Bazooka Joe
Bazooka Joe

Number of posts : 34
Location / Country : Denmark
Registration date : 2010-10-07

DENIX M1 Garand Empty
PostSubject: Re: DENIX M1 Garand   DENIX M1 Garand Icon_minitimeSun May 05, 2013 12:21 pm

Looking good! What did you use for the re-blue? Aluminium Black?
Back to top Go down
pitfighter
Modelgun Master
Modelgun Master
pitfighter

Number of posts : 616
Location / Country : Hollywood, California
Registration date : 2008-09-07

DENIX M1 Garand Empty
PostSubject: Re: DENIX M1 Garand   DENIX M1 Garand Icon_minitimeMon May 06, 2013 1:51 am

Nice work!

Very original and used looking.

Pit.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

DENIX M1 Garand Empty
PostSubject: Re: DENIX M1 Garand   DENIX M1 Garand Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

DENIX M1 Garand
Page 1 of 1