MP40's Modelguns Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
MP40's Modelguns Forum

International Forum for Modelgun enthusiasts

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

All metal Colt Single Action revolvers?

Go down 
5 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
singleaction

Number of posts : 25
Location / Country : Sweden
Registration date : 2014-02-12

All metal Colt Single Action revolvers? Empty
PostSubject: All metal Colt Single Action revolvers?   All metal Colt Single Action revolvers? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 23, 2014 12:41 pm

Yes, as the topic title reads; who can shed some more light on these? Who made them; who made open barrel/cylinder models; who made the "best" ones and so on...I want to know! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
REPLIBOND

Number of posts : 4
Location / Country : Letchworth, Hertfordshire UK
Registration date : 2012-12-14

PostSubject: Re: All metal Colt Single Action revolvers?   All metal Colt Single Action revolvers? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 23, 2014 1:47 pm

singleaction wrote:
Yes, as the topic title reads; who can shed some more light on these? Who made them; who made open barrel/cylinder models; who made the "best" ones and so on...I want to know! Very Happy

The best 'japanese' ones are MGC for resiliance both 1974 models and .44-40 manufactory -1974 had the better action; Kokusai were beautiful both with open chambers/ barrels and closed 10.77; CMC 1968 models with open chambers and 'velvet' lined box. The original NAKATA were awesome because they were the first. There were undoubtedly others, but my era was the 1980's - MKK,Marushin, etc, and I will leave that to others to comment on.
Back to top Go down
lampwick
Modelgun Master
Modelgun Master
lampwick

Number of posts : 359
Location / Country : UK
Registration date : 2008-09-11

PostSubject: Re: All metal Colt Single Action revolvers?   All metal Colt Single Action revolvers? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 23, 2014 7:17 pm

There are some nice MGC and Kokusai here on Gunstar.
http://www.gunstar.co.uk/All-Guns-for-sale?sstr=replica
Back to top Go down
singleaction

PostSubject: Re: All metal Colt Single Action revolvers?   All metal Colt Single Action revolvers? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 24, 2014 8:13 am

REPLIBOND wrote:
singleaction wrote:

The best 'japanese' ones are MGC for resiliance both 1974 models and .44-40 manufactory -1974 had the better action; Kokusai were beautiful both with open chambers/ barrels and closed 10.77; CMC 1968 models with open chambers and 'velvet' lined box. The original NAKATA were awesome because they were the first. There were undoubtedly others, but my era was the 1980's - MKK,Marushin, etc, and I will leave that to others to comment on.

Interesting, indeed  Very Happy - did MGC make any open barrel/chamber model? And what is "10.77" that you mention regarding the Kokusais? If you have anything more to add I'm an eager listener; I LOVE the SAA's Razz
Back to top Go down
JohnnyV
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
JohnnyV

Number of posts : 552
Location / Country : Cambridgeshire UK
Registration date : 2009-08-24

PostSubject: Re: All metal Colt Single Action revolvers?   All metal Colt Single Action revolvers? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 24, 2014 4:15 pm

The SAA is my favorite modelgun as well:)Smile

OK just a quick list of my order of preference (relating ONLY to metal models).

BEST
1 CMC 68 SAA
2 CMC later blocked barrel models
2 Tanaka (uses same mold as above CMC)
3 Kokusai Classics
4 Marushin SAA
5 MGC 44/40
6 Kokusai "SMG" 10.77
WORST

Lots of factors affect each persons choice, if open barrel is important to you , then you will have to sacrifice "realism" of markings etc,
Back to top Go down
singleaction

PostSubject: Re: All metal Colt Single Action revolvers?   All metal Colt Single Action revolvers? Icon_minitimeFri Apr 25, 2014 12:56 am

JohnnyV wrote:
The SAA is my favorite modelgun as well:)Smile

OK just a quick list of my order of preference (relating ONLY to metal models).

BEST
1 CMC 68 SAA
2 CMC later blocked barrel models
2 Tanaka (uses same mold as above CMC)
3 Kokusai Classics
4 Marushin SAA
5 MGC 44/40
6 Kokusai "SMG" 10.77
WORST

Lots of factors affect each persons choice, if open barrel is important to you , then you will have to sacrifice "realism" of markings etc,

Which ones of these were made with open barrel/chambers? Did Tanaka make any?
Back to top Go down
singleaction

PostSubject: Re: All metal Colt Single Action revolvers?   All metal Colt Single Action revolvers? Icon_minitimeFri Apr 25, 2014 3:03 pm

Anyone got any pics of some Kokusai Classics SAA's? I've been googling around, but only been able to find newer ones, like the 10.77's and 9.78's... I'd love to see what the classics look like Razz
Back to top Go down
JohnnyV
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
JohnnyV

PostSubject: Re: All metal Colt Single Action revolvers?   All metal Colt Single Action revolvers? Icon_minitimeFri Apr 25, 2014 3:12 pm

Back to top Go down
singleaction

PostSubject: Re: All metal Colt Single Action revolvers?   All metal Colt Single Action revolvers? Icon_minitimeFri Apr 25, 2014 6:19 pm

JohnnyV wrote:
Hi
Try here: http://plugfirecapgunsuk.com/PhotoAlbumsPro/Kokusai_Classic_SAA/#/0
brief "sales" description here : http://plugfirecapgunsuk.com/Western_Models_Normal.html

Ah, OK; so that's the classic! Made around 1990, right? At first I thought the classics were much older models. Agree, Johnny; a really beautiful replica! Did Kokusai make any open barrel/chambers models in the beginning?
Back to top Go down
JohnnyV
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
JohnnyV

PostSubject: Re: All metal Colt Single Action revolvers?   All metal Colt Single Action revolvers? Icon_minitimeFri Apr 25, 2014 6:57 pm

Hi
I have not seen any Kokusai metal models with open barrels........yet
I do not think they made any Sad
Back to top Go down
singleaction

PostSubject: Re: All metal Colt Single Action revolvers?   All metal Colt Single Action revolvers? Icon_minitimeSat Apr 26, 2014 5:24 pm

JohnnyV wrote:
Hi
I have not seen any Kokusai metal models with open barrels........yet
I do not think they made any Sad

Been checking around a bit, seems like the earliest CMC 68's had problem with the lock up, something they corrected during the third or so manufacturing round. Also, they closed up the barrel already in 1976, in advance of the gun law change. So, a CMC 68 from around 1975 would be something I wouldn't mind laying my hands on, I think Razz
Back to top Go down
JohnnyV
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
JohnnyV

PostSubject: Re: All metal Colt Single Action revolvers?   All metal Colt Single Action revolvers? Icon_minitimeSat Apr 26, 2014 6:06 pm

Yep they are very nice, ( I have a few:)  pics below )
Note also the "68" has a twin............... The TRC SAA  cheers 

They are not cheap, but they are unique !!
All metal Colt Single Action revolvers? Img_5010
All metal Colt Single Action revolvers? Img_5011

Last edited by JohnnyV on Sat Apr 26, 2014 8:09 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added pictures)
Back to top Go down
singleaction

PostSubject: Re: All metal Colt Single Action revolvers?   All metal Colt Single Action revolvers? Icon_minitimeSat Apr 26, 2014 10:56 pm

JohnnyV wrote:
Yep they are very nice, ( I have a few:)  pics below )
Note also the "68" has a twin............... The TRC SAA  cheers 

They are not cheap, but they are unique !!
All metal Colt Single Action revolvers? Img_5010
All metal Colt Single Action revolvers? Img_5011

Oh, you... now that got my mouth watering, did you have to do this to me? Wink
Back to top Go down
broomie
Modelgun Enthusiast
Modelgun Enthusiast

Number of posts : 92
Location / Country : United Kingdom
Registration date : 2014-04-13

PostSubject: Re: All metal Colt Single Action revolvers?   All metal Colt Single Action revolvers? Icon_minitimeSun Apr 27, 2014 12:19 am

My favourite has got to be the Bat Masterson by Marushin if we are talking about Japan-made replica SAAs. Otherwise, the Uberti made Doc Holliday (for the Franklin Mint Co) is super cool  Smile 
The RMI Model 1974 is also very good. I have to add my judgement is based on the interchangeability of parts for real Colt ones - (innards only) - for durability.
Here's my favourite : The Special Edition Bat Masterson , one of 1000, and it's gold plated. It fieldstrips just like the original unlike the ordinary run-of-the-mill Bat Masterson. It comes with different grips and is the most accurate all-metal replica SAA I know of ? All markings are indistinguishable to the real McCoy.
All metal Colt Single Action revolvers? Dscf1210
All metal Colt Single Action revolvers? Dscf1211
As you can see, it's a traditional black powder frame and comes in its original case, with original cardboard box as well as paperwork & inert shells for display.
Broomie
Back to top Go down
singleaction

PostSubject: Re: All metal Colt Single Action revolvers?   All metal Colt Single Action revolvers? Icon_minitimeSun Apr 27, 2014 3:07 am

broomie wrote:
My favourite has got to be the Bat Masterson by Marushin if we are talking about Japan-made replica SAAs. Otherwise, the Uberti made Doc Holliday (for the Franklin Mint Co) is super cool  Smile 
The RMI Model 1974 is also very good. I have to add my judgement is based on the interchangeability of parts for real Colt ones - (innards only) - for durability.
Here's my favourite : The Special Edition Bat Masterson , one of 1000, and it's gold plated. It fieldstrips just like the original unlike the ordinary run-of-the-mill Bat Masterson. It comes with different grips and is the most accurate all-metal replica SAA I know of ? All markings are indistinguishable to the real McCoy.
All metal Colt Single Action revolvers? Dscf1210
All metal Colt Single Action revolvers? Dscf1211
As you can see, it's a traditional black powder frame and comes in its original case, with original cardboard box as well as paperwork & inert shells for display.
Broomie

Those Bat Mastersons can't be fired though, right? Although you might wouldn't want to, anyway - to damn good looking Razz
Back to top Go down
broomie
Modelgun Enthusiast
Modelgun Enthusiast

PostSubject: Re: All metal Colt Single Action revolvers?   All metal Colt Single Action revolvers? Icon_minitimeSun Apr 27, 2014 3:27 am

Hi Singleaction,
I have never tried to fire mine so I cannot tell you. Thye cylinder of the Limited Edition is quite different from the other ordinary run-of-the-mill Bat Mastersons, on the Limited Edition the cylinder can chamber some kind of cartridge (probably PFC type) cos the ring is set a lot further forward in the cylinder. But you're right, I wouldn't want to as it's gold plated  Crying or Very sad 
If you are seriously into the Old West scene, let me know. I am curious as to whether you're into re-enactment or just into the guns only ? Question 
The cowboy era was a time when the black powder frame was more prevalent, smokeless frame was only introduced in the SAA when the wild west was no longer wild, i.e. 1895  Crying or Very sad 
Broomie
Back to top Go down
JohnnyV
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
JohnnyV

PostSubject: Re: All metal Colt Single Action revolvers?   All metal Colt Single Action revolvers? Icon_minitimeSun Apr 27, 2014 10:17 am

Hi
Yes the Bat Masterson is a very nice model !!!
Back to top Go down
singleaction

PostSubject: Re: All metal Colt Single Action revolvers?   All metal Colt Single Action revolvers? Icon_minitimeSun Apr 27, 2014 3:39 pm

Anyone who knows anything about the Asahi Eagle SAA's? Just found out about them, never heard of before - intriguing Razz
Back to top Go down
broomie
Modelgun Enthusiast
Modelgun Enthusiast

PostSubject: Re: All metal Colt Single Action revolvers?   All metal Colt Single Action revolvers? Icon_minitimeSun Apr 27, 2014 3:44 pm

Nope, any chance of some pics of it or a link  Question 
Love to see what it looks like  Smile 
Broomie
Back to top Go down
JohnnyV
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
JohnnyV

PostSubject: Re: All metal Colt Single Action revolvers?   All metal Colt Single Action revolvers? Icon_minitimeSun Apr 27, 2014 3:54 pm

A pic of the Asahi Eagle SAA.
I think it was built by Marushin for the Asahi brand. Not many about....

All metal Colt Single Action revolvers? Ash10
Back to top Go down
broomie
Modelgun Enthusiast
Modelgun Enthusiast

PostSubject: Re: All metal Colt Single Action revolvers?   All metal Colt Single Action revolvers? Icon_minitimeSun Apr 27, 2014 4:02 pm

Right !!! I saw one on GunBroker a while ago. A Japanese acquaintance bought it  Smile It's really quite rare. The one I saw is gold plated though ...
Thanks for the pic, where did you find it  Question  Very cool.
Broomie
Back to top Go down
singleaction

PostSubject: Re: All metal Colt Single Action revolvers?   All metal Colt Single Action revolvers? Icon_minitimeSun Apr 27, 2014 4:37 pm

broomie wrote:
Right !!! I saw one on GunBroker a while ago. A Japanese acquaintance bought it  Smile It's really quite rare. The one I saw is gold plated though ...
Thanks for the pic, where did you find it  Question  Very cool.
Broomie

Here you go, a whole page on the Asahi:
http://www.geocities.jp/digi_hiro2000/asahieaglesaa.html
Back to top Go down
broomie
Modelgun Enthusiast
Modelgun Enthusiast

PostSubject: Re: All metal Colt Single Action revolvers?   All metal Colt Single Action revolvers? Icon_minitimeSun Apr 27, 2014 9:42 pm

Thanks for that  Exclamation  Are you looking for one by any chance  Question 
Let me know as I have contacts in Japan who might be able to get you one (no guarantee) but all I can do is ask  Smile Don't know the cost either.
Broomie
Back to top Go down
singleaction

PostSubject: Re: All metal Colt Single Action revolvers?   All metal Colt Single Action revolvers? Icon_minitimeSun Apr 27, 2014 11:45 pm

broomie wrote:
Thanks for that  Exclamation  Are you looking for one by any chance  Question 
Let me know as I have contacts in Japan who might be able to get you one (no guarantee) but all I can do is ask  Smile Don't know the cost either.
Broomie

Not really looking for an Asahi at the moment, besides I'm led to believe it can be quite difficult in finding spare parts for this one in case of anything broke...but in the future perhaps... Razz
Is your Bat Masterson out on GunBroker as of now, btw?
Back to top Go down
broomie
Modelgun Enthusiast
Modelgun Enthusiast

PostSubject: Re: All metal Colt Single Action revolvers?   All metal Colt Single Action revolvers? Icon_minitimeSun Apr 27, 2014 11:56 pm

Should you need something from Japan, so long as it's VCRA exempt, I can put you in direct contact with a Japanese friend of mine who might be able to help you out. I will cut myself out of the loop that way  Smile 
Personally, I can't see anything that cannot be replaced with genuine Colt parts should something break on the Asahi ? Looking at the pics on the link you provided , the innards are pretty much the same.
No, The Marushin Bat Masterson Limited Edition is out on Gunstar (UK) not GunBroker (US). Thanks for asking  Smile 
Broomie
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: All metal Colt Single Action revolvers?   All metal Colt Single Action revolvers? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

All metal Colt Single Action revolvers?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next