MP40's Modelguns Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
MP40's Modelguns Forum

International Forum for Modelgun enthusiasts

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Help needed to identify replica MP40

Go down 
5 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
broomie
Modelgun Enthusiast
Modelgun Enthusiast

Number of posts : 92
Location / Country : United Kingdom
Registration date : 2014-04-13

Help needed to identify replica MP40 Empty
PostSubject: Help needed to identify replica MP40   Help needed to identify replica MP40 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 22, 2014 11:00 pm

Hi everyone,
Here goes , the pics below are of my replica MP40 which I would be most grateful if anyone out there could help me identify its origin ? On its right hand side it has a couple of slots cut into its upper receiever - not sure why as they do not affect the function ?
The last pic shows the areas (green) that are steel versus  the pot metal parts (red).
Help needed to identify replica MP40 20140423
Help needed to identify replica MP40 Pix06511
Help needed to identify replica MP40 Pix13310
Help needed to identify replica MP40 Pix14210
Help needed to identify replica MP40 Pix21210
Help needed to identify replica MP40 Pix54810
Help needed to identify replica MP40 Pix74710
Help needed to identify replica MP40 Pix80710
Help needed to identify replica MP40 Mp40_m10
Thanks in advance,
Paul (Broomie)
Back to top Go down
WaA363

Number of posts : 6
Location / Country : Europe
Registration date : 2013-05-05

PostSubject: Re: Help needed to identify replica MP40   Help needed to identify replica MP40 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 24, 2014 12:24 pm

It's an MGC68 MP40. Strangely enough without the stamp on the receiver. But I'm 100% sure.
Back to top Go down
broomie
Modelgun Enthusiast
Modelgun Enthusiast

PostSubject: Re: Help needed to identify replica MP40   Help needed to identify replica MP40 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 24, 2014 6:07 pm

Hi,
Thanks for your thoughts, really appreciate it. I too haven't the foggiest why it doesn't have the MGC 68 on the rear of the receiver if it's one ? Could it be a Nakata or some other similar Japanese make ?
The strange thing is the 2 cuts on the right hand side which serve no function whatsoever ? Plus it takes an original MP40 mag and can chamber inert rounds. I will need to take courage and try to field strip it at some point to see if its bolt is either cut or not , and whether it has an ordinary firing pin for the use of 9mm disposable blanks Shocked 
I would also love to know if there was a competent welder out there who would be able to weld up the 2 slots on the rhs of the receiver & make good of them ? You see, realism is of utmost importance when it comes to re-enactment  Very Happy 
Cheers,
Paul (Broomie)
Back to top Go down
JohnnyV
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
JohnnyV

Number of posts : 552
Location / Country : Cambridgeshire UK
Registration date : 2009-08-24

PostSubject: Re: Help needed to identify replica MP40   Help needed to identify replica MP40 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 24, 2014 7:43 pm

Looks clear (think you can still see some marks) that the MGC68 mark below the "MP40" has been ground off Smile
Really not sure why those slots have been cut?
Back to top Go down
broomie
Modelgun Enthusiast
Modelgun Enthusiast

PostSubject: Re: Help needed to identify replica MP40   Help needed to identify replica MP40 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 24, 2014 10:39 pm

Looks like nothing has been removed below the MP40 that I can see. What I am puzzled about are the 2 slots cut into the receiver , just doesn't make sense  Suspect 
Thanks a bunch for your help by the way, much appreciated  Smile 
Paul
Back to top Go down
WaA363

Number of posts : 6
Location / Country : Europe
Registration date : 2013-05-05

PostSubject: Re: Help needed to identify replica MP40   Help needed to identify replica MP40 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 25, 2014 11:27 am

As stated, I'm 100% sure it's an mgc. And I agree it sure looks like the MGC68 mark has been ground off. Can you take off the tube and take a picture so we can see the cut a bit better?
Back to top Go down
broomie
Modelgun Enthusiast
Modelgun Enthusiast

PostSubject: Re: Help needed to identify replica MP40   Help needed to identify replica MP40 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 25, 2014 4:45 pm

Had a friend saying it's a hybrid ??? Definitely no sign of the MGC68 being ground off.
I will take it apart when I gather enough courage and will post pics the moment I do. I need to check up on how to field strip this darn thing cos I really want to examine its innards a lot closer.
Thanks for your help, and will keep ya al' posted on my frankengun later  tongue  
Paul
Back to top Go down
JohnnyV
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
JohnnyV

PostSubject: Re: Help needed to identify replica MP40   Help needed to identify replica MP40 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 25, 2014 6:01 pm

Hi
Its a MGC :)The photo does show some signs of abrasion under the MP40, but maybe its the camera angle ................
Also under the trigger guard there are also abrasion marks where it used to say "made in Japan"...

Did it come with its original mag? can you photograph or  ANY markings on that mag.
Back to top Go down
broomie
Modelgun Enthusiast
Modelgun Enthusiast

PostSubject: Re: Help needed to identify replica MP40   Help needed to identify replica MP40 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 25, 2014 6:25 pm

The abrasion that you see in one of the pics is nothing more than age and rust. The only abrasion I see is at the bottom of the triggerguard where there's some filing done to it - probably where it used to say "Japan" or "made in Japan" ?  Shocked 
No, it came only with an original MP40 mag. Does an original MP40 mag fit in a MGC68 MP40 ? Shocked
Here's a pic of the original mag that came with the MP40.
Help needed to identify replica MP40 Pix27811
Cheers,
Paul
Back to top Go down
pitfighter
Modelgun Master
Modelgun Master
pitfighter

Number of posts : 616
Location / Country : Hollywood, California
Registration date : 2008-09-07

PostSubject: Re: Help needed to identify replica MP40   Help needed to identify replica MP40 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 26, 2014 4:56 am

Two of my MGC's came with original MP40 mags, they fit fine into an MGC replica -
One came with an original sling, too - which was the reason I bought the replica, the sling is now on the byf43 and the replica went to a member here.
Not much else fits, on the MP40 - in the way of original to MGC.
The MGC is much lighter and all of the metal used is very thin and delicate compared to the original, the thread on the muzzle protector is different.
Front sight protector is different size, the resting bar is plastic and not fitted in the same way as the original, I had a spare resting bar and though I might put it onto the MGC, no such luck.

My second hand shoei MP44 came with an original mag (post war east German 1001), too, also the whole lower receiver (late war Haenel) was from an original MP44, and fits fine, as well as the fore grip, and buttstock, all from an original that fit fine with no modification.

The Shoei mag I bought from Cerwyn, fits into my real MP44, but alas does not successfully feed rounds -
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

Number of posts : 11073
Location / Country : North Wales
Registration date : 2008-07-20

PostSubject: Re: Help needed to identify replica MP40   Help needed to identify replica MP40 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 26, 2014 3:07 pm

Hi broomie,

The following links might help you out:

Strip-Down: https://mp40modelguns.forumotion.net/t1157-marushin-mp40-basic-strip-down-cleaning-guide 
please note this shows the method for Marushin's ABS MP40, not the MGC. However, procedure is the same except for the section showing Detonator Pin and Chamber removal. When you remove the MGC barrel, the Detonator Pin used for Cap firing models sits in the front of the receiver and just pulls out.

When you twist the upper receiver to remove from the lower, make sure you keep the trigger squeezed (same for ressembly).
The Upper receiver is a good tight fit in the lowe receiver's end cap so don't be put off by that. If the Take Down Pin is pulled downwards and the trigger squeezed it will come away.

As mentioned already, MGC MP40s were made of thin guage steel and Zinc Alloy parts. Steel thickness' is mentioned here :   https://mp40modelguns.forumotion.net/t2906-custom-mp38 if you wanted to check thickness of yours.

Some, but curiously not all, MGC68 MP40s will accept genuine MP38/40 magazines. My own example will not but others I've seen will.

There's a wealth of info here : https://mp40modelguns.forumotion.net/f17-mgc68-mp40 which should be useful too when looking at cut bolts and everything else too.

I am curious about your barrel as it looks to be completely open straight through. All the early firing models I've seen have a carbon steel rod cast into the zinc barrel to stop tampering and any attempts to fire live rds. What you see is this:

Help needed to identify replica MP40 Mgcmp40t1

This category shows plenty of photos of MGC68 MP40s which may help you identify yours as one or not:  https://mp40modelguns.forumotion.net/t1190-mgc-68-mp40-photo-gallery-post-your-photos-here

I'm looking forwards to reading your findings  Very Happy   

Hobby collector of Replica model guns and Militaria.
also member of Living History Reenactment Groups.
Back to top Go down
https://mp40modelguns.forumotion.net
JohnnyV
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
JohnnyV

PostSubject: Re: Help needed to identify replica MP40   Help needed to identify replica MP40 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 26, 2014 4:56 pm

Hi
Are there any other markings at all on the mag? if not it could possibly be a Marushin one.
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: Help needed to identify replica MP40   Help needed to identify replica MP40 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 26, 2014 5:09 pm

In addition to my post above, one item that identifies replicas as MGC MP40s is the barrel nut. They are not the correct shape. Look at this:

Help needed to identify replica MP40 3236483

It is possible that yours has been modified at some point (as mine has now) but it's difficult to tell from your photos.

Back to top Go down
broomie
Modelgun Enthusiast
Modelgun Enthusiast

PostSubject: Re: Help needed to identify replica MP40   Help needed to identify replica MP40 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 26, 2014 10:50 pm

Wow, wow and wow again !!! First, I'd like to thank all those who have responded to my help - I am eternally grateful and still am in awe with the tremendous tips you have all provided  Very Happy 
A special thank-you to Cerwyn for the links to other posts ! I will do my best to pull the thing apart at some point.
About the mag : Thanks Pitfighter for the insight into the interchangeability of the mag - original & replica - on some of the MGC68 models. Would you happen to know which generation MGC68 would this feature be ? I understand from Cerwyn's tips that there are at least 3 or 4 all with minor modifications due to the changing nature of the regulations of the time ?!? Oh, and no, I am not about to alter the replica in question by substituting replica parts for real parts, so please don't worry - I have enough trouble with identifying the gun as it is  Laughing 
Cerwyn, I have trouble working out which generation this MGC68 is from the link you gave me  Embarassed Please bear with me, I new at this sort of thing. The barrel on mine is completely clear and there is absolutely no sign of any block (as shown in the pics of the link) nor any sign of any attempt at removing any ??? The only block is the removable plug that is used for PFC cartridges from what I see in other posts ? Once this plug is removed, inert 9mm cartridges can be chambered with ease  Surprised 
Johnny V : no, there is no other marking on the mag and it is definitely an original MP38/40 mag. Plus, the original seller told me so when he sold it to me. I have no reason to doubt him  Wink 
Lastly, from all the links I think I have one helluva lot to learn (thanks again, Cerwyn) about the intricacies & differences of these replicas. From my findings thus far, without taking the gun apart, the telescopic bolt is steel cos it's definitely magnetic !?! I just hope it hasn't been illegally modified  Suspect noting that the upper reciver has already had 2 slots drilled into it for no apparent reason ?   Mad  
I will soon post other pics of my replicas & my older brother's stuff to keep everyone satisfied should anyone be interested ?  Smile 
Eternally grateful,
Broomie

Back to top Go down
broomie
Modelgun Enthusiast
Modelgun Enthusiast

PostSubject: Re: Help needed to identify replica MP40   Help needed to identify replica MP40 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 26, 2014 11:48 pm

Here's a couple more pics of the mag which I am pretty sure is original MP38/40 to answer Pitfighter's question.
Help needed to identify replica MP40 Pix38410
Help needed to identify replica MP40 Pix46510
Hope these pics help ?
Broomie
Back to top Go down
JohnnyV
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
JohnnyV

PostSubject: Re: Help needed to identify replica MP40   Help needed to identify replica MP40 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 27, 2014 10:15 am

"
Johnny V : no, there is no other marking on the mag and it is definitely an original MP38/40 mag. Plus, the original seller told me so when he sold it to me. I have no reason to doubt him  Wink
"
Hi Broomie
The mag follower inside the mag is 100% MGC not a real one, the mag itself...would need a picture of the top/back face to tell. seller may well have been sold it as real, happens all the time Wink
Good news is an MGC one is worth more cheers
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: Help needed to identify replica MP40   Help needed to identify replica MP40 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 27, 2014 10:18 am

Hi broomie,

I'm happy to know you're finding everybody's input helpful  Very Happy That's what the Forum is all about  Very Happy 
Don't worry about asking questions, we were ALL beginners once and new to this hobby.

As far as your magazine is concerned, does it have this mark on it  Question 

Help needed to identify replica MP40 MGC68_MP40_9

All metal replica model guns made in Japan would have had Zinc Alloy Bolts. If the model is fired regularly, Zinc bolts will wear out eventually. They can either be repaired by cutting away the damaged bolt face and replacing that with a steel part, or going the whole way and making a complete replacement bolt from steel. There's nothing illegal about that, as long as the model isn't fitted with a firing pin and taken to a point where it could possibly fire a live round (even if that's jut 1 solitary round)
It is possible that a previous owner has had a steel bolt made and fitted to yours at some time. If it is magnetic, it sounds quite likely.
Real MP38/MP40s have a slightly lager diameter Receiver Tube so real bolts will not fit. This was a deliberate move to stop people tring to fit real parts.
The MGC MP40s have steel telescopic tubes, 2 normally rather than the 3 tubes on the real ones.

As I mentioned above, the standard bolt would be Zinc Alloy. The charging handle would be a single casting with the bolt and does not work as a Safety switch like the real ones and as featured on Marushin's ABS MP40

Getting onto your barrel and chamber, both these parts were made of Zinc Alloy by MGC. You mentioned a plug fitted to your barrel, is it like this one  Question 

Help needed to identify replica MP40 MGC68_MP40_5

If it is, then this is to prevent the model from firing cap loaded cartridges. A large number of MGC model guns made for export from Japan were "converted" to be non firing dummy models only. Chambers were plugged like this and bolts were ground like this 

Help needed to identify replica MP40 1-7

Help needed to identify replica MP40 3-5

to prevent cartridges being fed from magazine to chamber.
Modifications went as far as drilling 2 holes straight through both sides of the receiver and on through the chamber. There are examples of a hole drilled through the barrel nut and on through the chamber too.
Receivers were cut but at the chamber end unlike your curious cuts. This was all done to weaken the chamber area making it impossible to fire a live round. Any attempt at doing so would destroy the model.

If you wanted to check your chamber, it's easily removed. 

Help needed to identify replica MP40 MGC68_MP40_6

Unscrew the barrel nut, remove the barrel.
Unscrew the two Allen screws, one either side of the receiver. These also hold the Magazine Well in place. You can see one in this photo just below the magazine well front "strap"
Once the screws are out, the chamber should tap or pull out from the front of the receiver.

This exploded diagram shows the chamber well, it's part number 26

Help needed to identify replica MP40 Photo0132

First off the chamber should be Zinc Alloy.
If it's made for a cap firing model, there will not be any additional holes drilled through it apart from the threaded holes used to secure it to the receiver by the 2 Allen screws.
Some non firing models were cut along their length too to weaken them even further. This photo is of a MGC Stirling model's chamber but it shows the cut along the length clearly

Help needed to identify replica MP40 DSCF0156

Hopefully the above will give you something to work with for a day or two  Wink . The next step is to show us some photos of the '40 in stripped form so we can see what's what.
Looking forwards to it  Very Happy        

Back to top Go down
broomie
Modelgun Enthusiast
Modelgun Enthusiast

PostSubject: Re: Help needed to identify replica MP40   Help needed to identify replica MP40 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 27, 2014 1:32 pm

Hi Guys,
First, I would like to respond to Johnny V regarding the mag being a MGC : You're most probably right as you know about these things more than I will ever hope to  Embarassed  But my mag doesn't have any of the MGC markings  which is puzzling Question 
Second, thanks once more to Cerwyn for an in-depth breakdown of the MGC MP40 and your insight in this field of interest  - You're truly a fountain of knowledge  Very Happy To answer your observations ;
i) Yes, the plug in the chamber is like the one pictured in your photo, it's removable so inert rounds can be chambered,
ii) The bolt face on mine doesn't look cut, but I need to work up enough courage to strip the thing apart to be sure,
iii) I was told the replica can fire 9mm disposable blanks  Shocked So this must mean it has a firing pin , no  Question This is what swayed me to buy the thing in the first place cos I really want to get into re-enactment ... as yet there's no group in East Anglia  Crying or Very sad 
Here are some more pics :
Help needed to identify replica MP40 Pix26710
Help needed to identify replica MP40 Pix20110
In the first pic you can see the barrel assembly with the removable barrel plug. And in the second, that's how the trunion looks from the front ? I think it's called the trunion  Embarassed Question 
I need to get drunk to get the rest apart  Smile 
Thanks guys,
Broomie
Back to top Go down
JohnnyV
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
JohnnyV

PostSubject: Re: Help needed to identify replica MP40   Help needed to identify replica MP40 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 27, 2014 2:33 pm

Hi Brommie
Had an ask around and you should get a PM from my friend in the next few days regarding a replacement MGC receiver if thats of any help Smile

All the best Smile
Back to top Go down
broomie
Modelgun Enthusiast
Modelgun Enthusiast

PostSubject: Re: Help needed to identify replica MP40   Help needed to identify replica MP40 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 27, 2014 2:38 pm

Excellent !!! Thanks Johnny V, much appreciated  Very Happy 
Broomie
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: Help needed to identify replica MP40   Help needed to identify replica MP40 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 27, 2014 3:17 pm

Hi Broomie,

Before ANY attempt to fire 9mm Blank ammunition, you MUST ensure the entire gun has been thoroughly and correctly reenforced. It WILL blow up if it hasn't. Be VERY careful. I'd strongly and respectfully suggest contacting John at www.plugfirecapgunsuk.com to ask if he would check it over for signs of competent, legal and safe conversion work if there's ANY doubt.

In my honest opinion I'd suggest that your MP40 is NOT a Blank Firer simply because the barrel is removeable.
Laws and Legislation governing Blank Firers insist that barrels are permanently welded to the receiver. The reason being to simply stop anyone fitting a "live" barrel and firing live ammunition.
Obviously getting caught attempting to do so would land you in a World of Trouble with the Law but could put you in Hospital thanks to the gun blowing itself to bits.

Without seeing the internals, it's not really possible to determine if any converting has been done to make this a safe and legal Blank Firer but to be honest, it's unlikely as your barrel is removeable.

The photo you've posted showing the barrel and resting bar is almost 100% certainly MGC. (which is good news  cheers )
Also, if you can manually cycle inert rounds through the gun, I'd guess the bolt is NOT cut. Bolt faces have to be complete to strip rounds from the mag' and hold the rounds' rim to extract and eject.
As soon as you strip it you'll be able to confirm that too.

Assuming your bolt isn't cut, it's more likely you'll be able to fire re-useable cap loaded brass cartridges. You'll need a Detonator Pin which sits in the Chamber instead of that plug. I'm sure John at www.plugfirecapgunsuk.com could get you a Det. Pin and the required cartridges and caps.
This is how MGC intended their model guns to be fired. Have a look at the Videos here:

Quiet enough to be fired indoors without blowing out windows and scaring neighbours silly, these are good fun and one of the reasons most of us have these models.
The downside is that the report from the gun is too quiet for reenacting outdoors. You would also need a round catcher attaching to the gun to collect spent and ejected cartridges. At around £3 each these brass cartridges are not cheap but look after them and they'll last for years. Caps are £8.50 per box of 100.

Don't strip it down drunk  drunken  No , you'll only lose some vital component or forget how to put it back together again  Very Happy 

Until later then,

Back to top Go down
broomie
Modelgun Enthusiast
Modelgun Enthusiast

PostSubject: Re: Help needed to identify replica MP40   Help needed to identify replica MP40 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 27, 2014 3:36 pm

Awwww, you mean to say it cannot ffire any 9mm disposable blanks  Question Question That's real bugger cos I was told originally by the seller it would with the plug removed  Evil or Very Mad 
Well, I am going to take it apart sooner or later cos Johnny V says he has a mate who may be able to supply me with an uncut receiver to replace mine  Smile  Let's hope it fits  scratch  
I am gradually finding I am spending more & more money on this ... and not what I exactly wanted it for in the first place  Crying or Very sad 
Keeping my fingers firmly crossed ... guys, yo're scaring the hell outta me with all the regulations  affraid 
Cheers everyone,
Broomie
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: Help needed to identify replica MP40   Help needed to identify replica MP40 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 27, 2014 4:15 pm

Without seeing how its' internals look, it's not really possible to confirm one way or another if it's been converted to Blank Firing spec. But, as I mentioned earlier, that removeable barrel suggests quite strongly that it either is a Cap-Firer, or, possibly, an illegal and unsafely conveted Blank Firer.

I would guess your barrel is Zinc too, so standard MGC part. Again, not suitable for Blank Firers.

It IS possible to safely convert MGC68 MP40s to fire 9mm Blank Rounds. It involves a helluva lot of work reenforcing the gun, replacing zinc alloy parts like the Bolt and Barrel with steel parts. Barrels have to be welded to the receiver and the barrel partially blocked making certain no projectile could ever be shot through it.
It's expensive too.

There are many early MGC model guns out there that have been mistakenly bought and sold as Blank Firers. There is some confusion between PFC cap-firers and Blank Firers. Often a Cap-Firer is thought to be a Blank Firer because it doesn't fire real, live ammunition.
Sadly, many do attempt to fire 9mm Blank Ammunition through an unconverted MGC model. The results are disastrous and highly dangerous.

I bought an early MGC MkIII STEN, sold as a non'firer. On receipt, it was soon obvious why it wouldn't fire....  Someone had drilled into the zinc bolt and tried fitting a simple firing pin. They must have loaded up with 9mm blanks and pulled the trigger. The result must have been spectacular because the zinc chamber and barrel had been sheared in half by the massive force of a 9mm blank going off. That barrel and half chamber must have taken some finding because it would have shot out of the barrel shroud like a cannon.
One destroyed model gun and hopefully an uninjured person firing and uninjured spectators.
I managed to restore to to PFC cap-firing spec but it meant having a bolt and chamber made and the barrel repaired. 

I don't wish to sound like a wet blanket but have the '40 checked over by John to be on the safe side.

To give you an idea of costs, a good condition, cap-firing MGC68 MP40 would be worth about £450 - £550 privately and anywhere up to £800 or more from a dealer.
A good, legal Blank converted MGC68 '40 would be in the £1000 to £1200 range.

Back to top Go down
broomie
Modelgun Enthusiast
Modelgun Enthusiast

PostSubject: Re: Help needed to identify replica MP40   Help needed to identify replica MP40 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 27, 2014 9:22 pm

Hi Cerwyn,
I read what you said with amazement as you obviously have had far more experience in this field than I could ever wish to have  Cool 
First, I will need to strip it apart first and see what's what ?
Second, wait and see if I can have the upper receiver replaced ?
Third, send it to John (PlugFireCapGunsUK) to have it inspected ?
Last, ascertain the cost of converting this into a f/v 9mm disposable blank firer so long as it's not illegal ?
A mate of mine has a front-venter '40 and it's very, very cool  Twisted Evil 
I also happen to like your custom replica MP38, bet it costs an arm & a leg  Shocked 
Thanks Cerwyn, your advice has been taken on board and I may use this '40 as a display model in that case. Time to look for a UK-legal 9mm blanker  Rolling Eyes 
Broomie
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: Help needed to identify replica MP40   Help needed to identify replica MP40 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 28, 2014 2:38 pm

Hi Broomie

I wouldn't pretend to know half as much as some of the real expert members we have here  Very Happy 
All I do know has come from a few years' involvement with this Forum and talking to members and Re-enactors.

Stripping the MP40 is easy enough once you've done it the first time. If you could take the receivers apart so that photos can be taken of both upper and lower receivers in particular plus the bolt showing its' face then I'm sure we can tell you if it is standard cap-firing spec. or if it has been part modified for blank firing.
The strip down guide for Marushin's ABS MP40 I gave you the link to is near as damnit the same procedure. Follow that and you'll have it apart in no time.  

If it is in cap-firing spec. and your bolt is complete and not ground or cut, then you could easily get yourself a working cap-firer for the cost of a Detonator Pin, cartridges and caps. 
On the other hand, if the receivers have been reinforced properly then you could have a blank firer for the cost of a steel barrel, welding that to the receiver and possibly a steel bolt.

Your '40 needs checking to be certain it is one or the other for safety's sake. Detailed photos on here may be enough, but if there's any doubt at all I would suggest you ask someone like John at PFCGUK to have a look at it for you

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Help needed to identify replica MP40   Help needed to identify replica MP40 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Help needed to identify replica MP40
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next