MP40's Modelguns Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
MP40's Modelguns Forum

International Forum for Modelgun enthusiasts

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Browning Hi-Power - you never know where they will turn up.

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
pitfighter
Modelgun Master
Modelgun Master
pitfighter

Number of posts : 616
Location / Country : Hollywood, California
Registration date : 2008-09-07

Browning Hi-Power - you never know where they will turn up. Empty
PostSubject: Browning Hi-Power - you never know where they will turn up.   Browning Hi-Power - you never know where they will turn up. Icon_minitimeSat Nov 22, 2014 4:10 am

I have not bought many model guns in a while.
Really the only ones I enjoy are the SMG's and MP's that I cannot get without a lot of expense here.
But I always wanted one of the metal Browning Hi-Power replicas -

I have been collecting a lot of WWII ammunition, it is my way of unwinding, I collect only two calibers 8x57 and 8X33 - I found a rare oxo factory Kurz 8x33 round, which I needed for my collection - chatted with the seller, who also had a small collection of replica guns he was trying to sell.

Well, he charged ridiculously high mail charges, $25 for one round of ammo, was ridiculous, so I passed and forgot about it.

Then I ran into him at a gunshow - he had a table, and amazingly had not only the round in question but one of the replica guns too - I did link his site to this one - well, I had to buy the Browning of course.

A very nice replica, and in as new condition -

This one won't be a movie gun, too nice, it will go into a holster in my office - I prefer not to store live firearms outside of the safe, I have too many permits and too many children, lol - so the replica and dummy guns are great with uniform displays in my work-space.

Here are some pics of the Browning -

Browning Hi-Power - you never know where they will turn up. FullSizeRender1_zpsd4f26e8e

Original plastic wrapping and diagram in box.
Browning Hi-Power - you never know where they will turn up. FullSizeRender2_zps50a860e7

I don;t think this has been out of the wrapper in thirty years Smile
Browning Hi-Power - you never know where they will turn up. FullSizeRender3_zps17447d4b

Browning Hi-Power - you never know where they will turn up. FullSizeRender4_zpscd3d97e5

Although aesthetically not bad the mag's construction from plates of steel is not like the original, but as it is hidden away that's OK.
Browning Hi-Power - you never know where they will turn up. FullSizeRender5_zpsf540e822

Does this take dummy rounds - it is an awesome replica - better than the 1911 RMI's I have had, and definitely better than any of the RMI revolvers. It is almost Shoei level.
Back to top Go down
phobus
Modelgun Master
Modelgun Master
phobus

Number of posts : 275
Location / Country : Leeds
Registration date : 2008-10-21

PostSubject: Re: Browning Hi-Power - you never know where they will turn up.   Browning Hi-Power - you never know where they will turn up. Icon_minitimeSat Nov 22, 2014 1:21 pm

Really nice pistol - what a find !!

Great to pick up something old and rare like that , makes me want one .

These are incredibly hard to find in the UK .

Seen a few RMI lugers lately but fancy prices - I think I prefer the Marushin ones which you can get for @ £250 uk . When the gold finish is polished away they look very good imo .

I have also seen a deactivated Browning clone going for a similar amount .

Very occasionally a Nakata model will come up for sale but those in the know will command high prices irrespective of its condition .

Carl Smile
Back to top Go down
pitfighter
Modelgun Master
Modelgun Master
pitfighter

PostSubject: Re: Browning Hi-Power - you never know where they will turn up.   Browning Hi-Power - you never know where they will turn up. Icon_minitimeSat Nov 22, 2014 6:06 pm

This was on his site for $125 - I gave $100 - Smile
He has some others, and another Browning HP, I believe.
http://www.collectorfirearms.org

He has some rare ammo - but definitely not cheap on the ammo - lol.
But I now have two oxo Kurz, just need the uber rare kam headstamp - (Werk Skarzysko-Kamienna, Poland)

I am really digging this replica, it's slotted for a shoulder stock, has a little lanyard ring, really well made.
I just bought another replica from GB a two inch Diamondback by umc, I have sent my real Colt Diamondback off to get refinished, so I want a replica to go with it for film work.

Is it just me, or do a lot of replica gun collections seem to be going to auction, is this is the third I have come across this year.
I bought a Thompson at the first, a Diamondback at the second and a Hi-Power -
Now I just need an MP41 or a Mkb42 to turn up -
(Bought my third real steel MP44, but, the closest I got to an Mkb42 was a real lower, on Ebay of all places!)

Happy collecting fellow model gun nerds!

Pit.
Back to top Go down
pitfighter
Modelgun Master
Modelgun Master
pitfighter

PostSubject: Re: Browning Hi-Power - you never know where they will turn up.   Browning Hi-Power - you never know where they will turn up. Icon_minitimeMon Nov 24, 2014 4:42 am

I've owned a half dozen Browning Hi-power variants, Belgian, Portuguese, and even a waffen marked 640(b) occupation version.

This Nakata is more tricky to put together after field stripping than any of those - I had to get the diagram from the box, to put it back together, and twice failed, dropping bots on the floor - it is fine now.

But, worth noting.
Back to top Go down
muzzleflash
Modelgun Enthusiast
Modelgun Enthusiast

Number of posts : 230
Location / Country : Northants, UK
Registration date : 2013-12-01

PostSubject: Re: Browning Hi-Power - you never know where they will turn up.   Browning Hi-Power - you never know where they will turn up. Icon_minitimeMon Nov 24, 2014 5:10 am

I've been after a good replica Browning Hi Power for a while - and preferably (dare I say it) a C02 version, as I like some of my pistols for target/tin can plinking. The Umarex version is kak though as it's non blowback and mostly ABS, so an instant no, no for me. I might go 9mm pak with one early next year, as I can't see KWC (the best C02 bb firing replicas by far) releasing one anytime soon.

That Nakata version looks very nice btw.
Back to top Go down
phobus
Modelgun Master
Modelgun Master
phobus

Number of posts : 275
Location / Country : Leeds
Registration date : 2008-10-21

PostSubject: Re: Browning Hi-Power - you never know where they will turn up.   Browning Hi-Power - you never know where they will turn up. Icon_minitimeMon Nov 24, 2014 12:54 pm

muzzleflash wrote:
I've been after a good replica Browning Hi Power for a while - and preferably (dare I say it) a C02 version, as I like some of my pistols for target/tin can plinking. The Umarex version is kak though as it's non blowback and mostly ABS, so an instant no, no for me. I might go 9mm pak with one early next year, as I can't see KWC (the best C02 bb firing replicas by far) releasing one anytime soon.

The Umarex 9mm pak is quite nice although some models come with plastic magazines - later ones I think and they are known to jam .
They are current models in most countries but UK are v difficult to source these since VCRA .
Last I have seen were @ £250 and front vent .
Top vent requires them to have a cut in the slide for reliable function - Mad Mad
The WE airsoft GBBs are pretty good though imo .
I sold a Browning HP not that long back in full chrome was an 8mm top venter and was near mint .
They come up from time to time on Gunstar / Gunseeker in UK .
Carl Smile
Back to top Go down
muzzleflash
Modelgun Enthusiast
Modelgun Enthusiast

PostSubject: Re: Browning Hi-Power - you never know where they will turn up.   Browning Hi-Power - you never know where they will turn up. Icon_minitimeMon Nov 24, 2014 4:13 pm

phobus wrote:
muzzleflash wrote:

The Umarex 9mm pak is quite nice although some models come with plastic magazines - later ones I think and they are known to jam .
They are current models in most countries but UK are v difficult to source these since VCRA .
Last I have seen were @ £250 and front vent .
Top vent requires them to have a cut in the slide for reliable function - Mad Mad
The WE airsoft GBBs are pretty good though imo .
I sold a Browning HP not that long back in full chrome was an 8mm top venter and was near mint .
They come up from time to time on Gunstar / Gunseeker in UK .
Carl Smile

Thanks Carl, I'll keep an eye out. Adding another blank firer to the collection is attractive, but they are getting expensive in these post VCRA times and it's getting increasingly difficult to shoot them in responsible places. I keep most of my BF'ers over at my parents place, as the back garden there is about the only place I can shoot them.

The WE gbb's are nice as you say, but the simple problem I have with them is that they are Airsoft. I prefer 4.5mm steel bb pistols, as they offer both functionality and a fair shooting ability and it's nice to take them down to my local Airgun range, where I have made some good friends within the shooting fraternity. :-)
Back to top Go down
pitfighter
Modelgun Master
Modelgun Master
pitfighter

PostSubject: Re: Browning Hi-Power - you never know where they will turn up.   Browning Hi-Power - you never know where they will turn up. Icon_minitimeMon Nov 24, 2014 5:04 pm

Thanks for the posts - puts into perspective the legal differences - I am sorry that is has come to that in the UK. Collecting pellet guns and starter pistols when you really just want to go shooting - rough deal.

Well, on that note we have a recording session for this next film, we're taking twelve or so machine-guns and AW's to a private range here to get some gun-sounds for this project. It will be a tough few days Smile

Browning Hi-Power - you never know where they will turn up. Attachment-1_zps26294cbd
Back to top Go down
muzzleflash
Modelgun Enthusiast
Modelgun Enthusiast

PostSubject: Re: Browning Hi-Power - you never know where they will turn up.   Browning Hi-Power - you never know where they will turn up. Icon_minitimeMon Nov 24, 2014 6:03 pm

pitfighter wrote:
Thanks for the posts - puts into perspective the legal differences - I am sorry that is has come to that in the UK.  Collecting pellet guns and starter pistols when you really just want to go shooting - rough deal.

Yap, we just have to make the best of what we have, though I don't particularly miss my FAC days when I had a Series 70. 45 as much as you'd think (pre- Dunblane era). I think all guns have a role and there are some pluses to what we have now. I enjoy shooting them indoors (I live on a 70ft narrowboat) as well as out, so the versatility over real weapons is a given. There are hoops we can jump through here of course to get black powder pistols or full bore rifles, but I really just can't be arsed with all the hassle, hell and red tape of it all. I gave up my shotgun licence and Mossberg,  when I moved aboard a few years back. Again, too much hassle, for too little return.

Looks like you'll be enjoying yourself over the coming few days! Will you be shooting blanks or bullets?? That Maxim(?) looks nice, I almost bought a Vickers a few years back as an investment /display piece, but I ended up selling my house for the boat and theres no way it would have fitted. Perhaps I should have mounted it on the cabin top, ha, ha...

An expat friend of mine lives in Texas and he has an arsenal of weaponry, though not quite up to your standard perhaps. He keeps hassling me to go out and visit, as I haven't been for a good few years. Might be tempted to go out next year and have a bit of a break, with a few shots to boot.
Back to top Go down
pitfighter
Modelgun Master
Modelgun Master
pitfighter

PostSubject: Re: Browning Hi-Power - you never know where they will turn up.   Browning Hi-Power - you never know where they will turn up. Icon_minitimeMon Nov 24, 2014 7:42 pm

Joking aside - I am in California, which is restrictive by US standards, my permit folder is very thick, I am required to have several state permits and licenses and a federal license, which are up kept yearly and three yearly in the case of the FFL - all Aw's and MG's are individually permitted and fees paid yearly per firearm.
Texas is better, but, even if there is no state issue as there is in CA, there is a federal tax on certain weapons that even Texans and Arizonans cannot avoid, if they want to be legal.

For sound we shoot live, and blank - a live round is a quite different sound to a blank, as there are multiple bangs, the report, hit, and hit report, a blank is the bang and report - that the sound designer likes to have.
They will mix them all together with stock and archive sound anyway -

He asked for metallic sound guns with a lot of moving parts - we'll fire them single shot with mikes on the guns and then downrange - he'll mix it altogether for use.

Legend has it Kubrick hung pig carcasses down range and miked them for realistic body hits in Full Metal Jacket - cannot confirm, but did hear the story forms several sources, lol.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Browning Hi-Power - you never know where they will turn up.   Browning Hi-Power - you never know where they will turn up. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Browning Hi-Power - you never know where they will turn up.
Page 1 of 1