MP40's Modelguns Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
MP40's Modelguns Forum

International Forum for Modelgun enthusiasts

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Mp40 back to firing cap condition

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Cliffrose

Number of posts : 9
Location / Country : Kent,England
Registration date : 2015-01-17

Mp40 back to firing cap condition Empty
PostSubject: Mp40 back to firing cap condition   Mp40 back to firing cap condition Icon_minitimeMon Jan 19, 2015 1:02 pm

Hi guys I am a new member...please forgive me if this question has been asked before. Can I get the parts to restore my mp40 back to firing cap condition. Is this legal in the uk.
Cheers
Cliff
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

Number of posts : 11075
Location / Country : North Wales
Registration date : 2008-07-20

PostSubject: Re: Mp40 back to firing cap condition   Mp40 back to firing cap condition Icon_minitimeMon Jan 19, 2015 1:34 pm

Hi Cliffrose, Welcome to the Forum Very Happy

It really depends on the Manufacturer of your MP40 but, generally speaking, most can be restored back to cap-firing.

Which MP40 do you have and what do you need please Question

Hobby collector of Replica model guns and Militaria.
also member of Living History Reenactment Groups.
Back to top Go down
https://mp40modelguns.forumotion.net
Cliffrose

PostSubject: Re: Mp40 back to firing cap condition   Mp40 back to firing cap condition Icon_minitimeMon Jan 19, 2015 1:40 pm

Hi buddy its a mgc68 I brought it over twenty years ago. As I know you know loads of stuff about owning this type of item perhaps you can answer a couple of questions.i used to be in a re-enactment club but I no longer am, I'm getting a bit to old to dive around. Am I still legal if I own a mgc68.
Cheers cliff
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: Mp40 back to firing cap condition   Mp40 back to firing cap condition Icon_minitimeMon Jan 19, 2015 2:23 pm

Hi Cliff,

Yes, you are perfectly entitled to own and keep your MGC68 MP40, as well as to buy spare parts, consumables (caps & cartridges)

As for restoring it to cap-firing condition, the amount of work and cost depend on which version you have.
MGC sold both Dummy, Display only versions as well as Cap-Firers.
It's possible to convert the Dummy versions so anything is possible really.

First thing to check is the Bolt Face. Is it ground at about 45Deg to stop it feeding cartridges from the magazine? Or is it a flat face, with circular recess in the centre and a feed rail poking forwards?

Back to top Go down
Cliffrose

PostSubject: Re: Mp40 back to firing cap condition   Mp40 back to firing cap condition Icon_minitimeMon Jan 19, 2015 2:51 pm

Hi my Mgc68 will take 9mm rounds(de acts) from the mag and cycle them with out any problems,the bolt face is flat and the extractor works just fine. Does this help answer your question?
Cliff
Back to top Go down
Cliffrose

PostSubject: Re: Mp40 back to firing cap condition   Mp40 back to firing cap condition Icon_minitimeMon Jan 19, 2015 2:54 pm

I guess if it possible to re activate the mgc I will need to take it to some one who can undertake the works. As a rule of thumb only what sorta price do these mgs68 go for now days.
Cliff
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: Mp40 back to firing cap condition   Mp40 back to firing cap condition Icon_minitimeMon Jan 19, 2015 4:01 pm

Hi Cliff

That's a great start Very Happy If the Bolt and Ejector work then there's every chance all you'll need is a Detonator Pin and Cartridges / Caps to suit.
I'd suggest you have a word with John at www.plugfirecapgunsuk.com first. If he doesn't have the parts you need in stock, he can get them for you without too much bother.

The conversion is an easy one if it's only a pin you need. The biggest job these days is finding a suitable cap-firing cartridge.
MGC P220 were the first choice but they're very hard to get now. KSC 9mm Luger will work but availability might prove difficult.
John could well have supplies of a suitable cartridge for you.

Depending on condition, prices for MGC68 MP40s can range from £400 - £600 or thereabouts. If you do decide to sell, make 100% sure the Buyer is VCRA compliant as it's the Seller that'll have his collar felt

If there's anything you need to know, please don' hesitate to ask 

Back to top Go down
Cliffrose

PostSubject: Re: Mp40 back to firing cap condition   Mp40 back to firing cap condition Icon_minitimeMon Jan 19, 2015 4:08 pm

Hi buddy that is very good news, in fact I do sorta remember it having a bright steel insert set in the barrel. Many thaks for the info I am very pleased with your comments.
Cheers cliff
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: Mp40 back to firing cap condition   Mp40 back to firing cap condition Icon_minitimeMon Jan 19, 2015 4:30 pm

No problem Cliff.

The Detonator Pin would sit in the barrel, protruding backwards into the Chamber so it sounds like you had one at one time.

If you'd like to check out the dedicated MGC MP40 category for loads more info, get onto the main page and scroll downwards to MGC Modelguns. There's plenty of reading matter there   Very Happy

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Mp40 back to firing cap condition   Mp40 back to firing cap condition Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Mp40 back to firing cap condition
Page 1 of 1