MP40's Modelguns Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
MP40's Modelguns Forum

International Forum for Modelgun enthusiasts

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Tanaka Glock 17 Evoluion EVO1 and EVO2 questions

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
kennedy1227

Number of posts : 3
Location / Country : United States
Registration date : 2020-06-10

Tanaka Glock 17 Evoluion EVO1 and EVO2 questions Empty
PostSubject: Tanaka Glock 17 Evoluion EVO1 and EVO2 questions   Tanaka Glock 17 Evoluion EVO1 and EVO2 questions Icon_minitimeWed Jun 10, 2020 11:00 am

Hello everyone and thanks for letting me join the group, so I have owned a few model guns many years ago (15 or so), hudson AK47, marushin uzi, Xm177E also by Marushin I believe and some type of Beretta 92.

Anyway I am thinking about buying a Tanaka Glock 17 model gun 3rd frame w/ finger grooves, I see that Tanaka offers Glock 17 HW Evolution 1 "EVO1" (which seems to be closer in length and weight to a real Glock 17 according to specs on Tanaka website) and Glock 17 HW Evolution 2 "EVO2" (Which seems to be a bit shorter and lighter but might possibly come with a aluminum slide).

Can someone please give me some information with regards to these Tanaka Glock 17's??  Whats the difference between the EVO1 and EVO2? Which is better? Does the EVO1 in fact have longer length and weight than the EVO2? Does the EVO2 have an aluminum slide?

Any info would be appreciated!!
Back to top Go down
ljerr2
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist

Number of posts : 571
Location / Country : Iowa, USA
Registration date : 2008-11-26

PostSubject: Re: Tanaka Glock 17 Evoluion EVO1 and EVO2 questions   Tanaka Glock 17 Evoluion EVO1 and EVO2 questions Icon_minitimeWed Jun 10, 2020 2:06 pm

Hi and welcome to the forum........and welcome to the hobby!
You'll find a lot of great info and a lot of great fellow hobbyists here.

I am a big fan of the Tanaka lineup, including the Glock 17 model.  I have owned the "original" version as well as the "Evolution" model.  Tanaka then subsequently released the "Evolution 2" model.  Each release is supposed to represent an upgrade in durability and performance to the prior version.

From the first release to the Evo model, I know the spring rates were changed in a number of applications in the model in an attempt to reduce stresses and improve function and durability.  The cartridges may be the biggest difference, however, as there was a slight design modification to the Evo cartridge to reduce power in an attempt to help durability.

I have not purchased the Evo 2 model as I've never had any issues with breakage in any of my G17s (knock on wood), but I generally run the Evo cartridge or a CTec Mild Kick full aluminum cartridge instead.

That being said, I know Tanaka's Evo 2 model introduced the use of an aluminum cased cartridge.  The slide may be made of a slightly different plastic material, but it is definitely not aluminum.  It may be Tanaka's "High Performance" plastic, which feels remarkably more like ABS..........I know this as I have Tanaka's HP model in the M9 version.  I've owned all versions of the M9 (Original, Evo, then HP version/like Evo 2).  The HP material will be lighter and less realistic in weight and feel than the Evo version, as you've noted.

On a side note if you're going to "fire" your G17, I have owned a number of G17s and did find that on one or two of them they needed a slight "tweaking" to make them fire smoothly.  Most were perfectly fine from the factory.  Easy to check and tune, but I had jams until I figured it out.  Once I made the minor tuning adjustment, they would run flawlessly and still do.  If you get one and have any issues, just report back and one of us here on the forum will help you get everything sorted and back in business!

Which version is better?  I'm a fan of the more realistic weight and so far durability has not been an issue for me.

So, in  my book, I'll take the Evo model for the win.  But, I don't think you'll go wrong with either model if you're after a Glock model.  The Tanaka is good stuff.............if you can get one.  They are hard to come by in the States.  So grab one and enjoy!  :Smilie  68:
Back to top Go down
kennedy1227

PostSubject: Great info!   Tanaka Glock 17 Evoluion EVO1 and EVO2 questions Icon_minitimeWed Jun 10, 2020 10:05 pm

ljerr2 thanks do much for all of the great info, much appreciated!!

I never had much luck with any of the model guns I owned in the past firing very well but they made for amazing prop replica's or wall hangers. I would like a Tanaka Glock that will fire caps well but even just as a non-firer prop I think I would be satisfied.

I believe your right and the Evolution EVO1 takes the win having size and weight closer to a real Glock firearm, also it seems the EVO1's have nicer looking 2-tone carts.

I remember looking at the Tanaka Glocks MANY years ago but I had forgot all about them until I saw one for sale on Ebay the other day from a seller in Japan (its a 2nd gen type frame, not 3rd gen style frame tho). I found a few sellers online in Japan that ship to the USA but it seemed they didnt know much about the products. Do you think it will be an issue getting one sent to the USA? I realize I would have to get the seller to paint the barrel tip orange or insert some type of orange plug into the barrel tip and cover the Glock logo's with tape .... any other possible issues getting one into the country? I would assume the Tanaka's are made in a way that they couldn't possibly be considered a real firearm or readily convertible.

Anyone know of a 3rd gen frame Tanaka Glock available in the USA?
Back to top Go down
ljerr2
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist

Number of posts : 571
Location / Country : Iowa, USA
Registration date : 2008-11-26

PostSubject: Re: Tanaka Glock 17 Evoluion EVO1 and EVO2 questions   Tanaka Glock 17 Evoluion EVO1 and EVO2 questions Icon_minitimeWed Jun 10, 2020 11:49 pm

Glad to help if I can.

Glock is super protective of its trademark, so it will be hard to find the Tanaka replica for sale domestically in any "public" market, such as ebay. There must be some reason that overseas ID holders can advertise them, but if someone here advertises one, it will be closed down quickly. I know first hand.

Shipping one in from overseas is also a little bit of a gamble as well unfortunately. Anything gun related can be held by customs - there is almost zero accountability there. I've had them hold items for over a year for no legal reason and with no notification to me - even though they are required to take action much sooner according to their own regulations. For example, I have a double barrel airsoft shotgun being held now, or possibly being returned to Taiwan, for no legitimate legal reason. It had the blaze orange tips (verified with seller) and had no restricted trademarks on it or anything like that - nothing! Yet, still I have no idea where it is and it has been months since the shipping status was last updated as inbound to customs.

You can get things from overseas, but if customs randomly selects your parcel for inspection, you may lose it. Just know that going in and prepare yourself for the potential risk. I've lost some, some are returned to the sender, but most are permitted to pass, even when inspected if they have the required orange muzzle and the trademarks are removed or obscured. Sometimes they pass immediately, sometimes they are held for a very, very long time.............

Back to top Go down
kennedy1227

PostSubject: Re: Tanaka Glock 17 Evoluion EVO1 and EVO2 questions   Tanaka Glock 17 Evoluion EVO1 and EVO2 questions Icon_minitimeThu Jun 11, 2020 12:26 am

Yes, thanks again for the info!! I do know what your talking about especially with regards to Glock, so years ago I had a supply of the Zoraki 917 blank guns which resemble Glock's that I had offered up for sale. Glock lawyer's went crazy on me over it and threatened to sue me over offering to sell them here in the US.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Tanaka Glock 17 Evoluion EVO1 and EVO2 questions   Tanaka Glock 17 Evoluion EVO1 and EVO2 questions Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Tanaka Glock 17 Evoluion EVO1 and EVO2 questions
Page 1 of 1