MP40's Modelguns Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
MP40's Modelguns Forum

International Forum for Modelgun enthusiasts

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Interesting alternative to caps

Go down 
+2
ljerr2
megamicrofish
6 posters
AuthorMessage
megamicrofish
Modelgun Enthusiast
Modelgun Enthusiast

Number of posts : 137
Location / Country : United Kingdom
Registration date : 2009-11-24

Interesting alternative to caps Empty
PostSubject: Interesting alternative to caps   Interesting alternative to caps Icon_minitimeSat Feb 06, 2021 4:40 pm

Wandering around the interweb, I came across this dealer who sometimes has some western PFC guns for sale.

I'm not 100% sure on the legal side, But this looks interesting.

https://www.packingiron.co.uk/accessories/pfc-cartridges-and-caps

Anybody made similar mods to cartridges?

Last edited by megamicrofish on Sat Feb 06, 2021 5:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
ljerr2
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist

Number of posts : 571
Location / Country : Iowa, USA
Registration date : 2008-11-26

PostSubject: Re: Interesting alternative to caps   Interesting alternative to caps Icon_minitimeSat Feb 06, 2021 4:55 pm

I knew of a guy here in the US that did that, except he took regular, real empty shell casings and drilled them to take the .209 primer. He used them in a HWS fast draw model.
I also think there is a guy on YouTube that also shows use of them, too. He goes under the name Rune Rebel if you want to search it.

Seems like too much power would be produced from a .209 primer. Maybe it could be safe in a revolver but I don't think I would ever try it myself.

megamicrofish likes this post

Back to top Go down
claymore
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist

Number of posts : 1234
Location / Country : London
Registration date : 2008-09-07

PostSubject: Re: Interesting alternative to caps   Interesting alternative to caps Icon_minitimeSun Feb 07, 2021 12:47 pm

One of the companies that sold replicas her in the UK many many yrs ago used to advise how to do this with some of the revolvers. I had a plastic highway patrolman and you could unscrew the round and put a shotgun primer in it. trouble was you had to strenghen the hammer spring and even then it only worked on single action, but it did work.
I dont think most revolvers would have the hammer strengh to set off a primer and beefing up the spring puts a lot of strain on the gun. i doubt the hammer in an auto would ever be strong enough.
Back to top Go down
jwstacey
Modelgun Enthusiast
Modelgun Enthusiast

Number of posts : 34
Location / Country : South Wales
Registration date : 2015-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Interesting alternative to caps   Interesting alternative to caps Icon_minitimeMon Feb 08, 2021 9:47 am

I know Neil who makes these. He's a good guy. I was a little worried about the safety of the Denix sharps he converted with blanks, but I hadn't seen these. They look good
Back to top Go down
http://www.liveroleplay.com/
JohnnyV
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
JohnnyV

Number of posts : 552
Location / Country : Cambridgeshire UK
Registration date : 2009-08-24

PostSubject: Re: Interesting alternative to caps   Interesting alternative to caps Icon_minitimeThu Feb 11, 2021 9:02 am

hhhmmmm not sure that this is a good idea ! Already hearing issues...
Also very dubious legally..

Just my view Smile

Browning likes this post

Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

Number of posts : 11075
Location / Country : North Wales
Registration date : 2008-07-20

PostSubject: Re: Interesting alternative to caps   Interesting alternative to caps Icon_minitimeThu Feb 11, 2021 11:36 am

I have to agree with JohnnyV on this one. There are seriously dubious safety issues involved, never mind the Legality of this.

Quite some time ago, this subject was discussed on this Forum, I'm almost certain. the same concerns were raised then.

Converting a flimsy, poor metal quality Denix gun to fire Shotgun Primers sounds damned dangerous. Blocked barrels leave nowhere for the gas pressure to travel other than backwards towards the shooter's face.
Japanese metal models are flimsy enough too.

The first Legal issue here in the UK is you need a Firearms Certificate / Shotgun Licence to buy Primers.

Stick to purpose made caps, for safety's sake and to avoid up to 5 years imprisonment.  

Hobby collector of Replica model guns and Militaria.
also member of Living History Reenactment Groups.

Browning likes this post

Back to top Go down
https://mp40modelguns.forumotion.net
claymore
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist

Number of posts : 1234
Location / Country : London
Registration date : 2008-09-07

PostSubject: Re: Interesting alternative to caps   Interesting alternative to caps Icon_minitimeFri Feb 12, 2021 10:57 am

You actually dont need a licence to buy shotgun primers in the UK but you do for pistol or rifle. Airsoft shops normally sell shotgun primers for some of the grenades they sell. You used to be able to get brass inserts for 9mm blank firing revolvers (mainly for western type guns) that took the shotgun primer, so they could be used when you wanted less noise. That in mind i dont see a problem using a primer in a revolver as long as its not adapted or changed, that said as i previoulsy mentioned modelgun hammer springs not usually strong enough to set of a primer.
I am however with johnnyv and Cerwyn on this, best stick to modelguns and caps as they are sold you then know you are not breaking any laws, that of course is in the UK, other countries are not so restricted.

JohnnyV and oozlum like this post

Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

Number of posts : 11075
Location / Country : North Wales
Registration date : 2008-07-20

PostSubject: Re: Interesting alternative to caps   Interesting alternative to caps Icon_minitimeFri Feb 12, 2021 11:08 am

You're correct Claymore, Shotgun primers can be bought without FAC / Shotgun certificates, my mistake there!

Hobby collector of Replica model guns and Militaria.
also member of Living History Reenactment Groups.
Back to top Go down
https://mp40modelguns.forumotion.net
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Interesting alternative to caps   Interesting alternative to caps Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Interesting alternative to caps
Page 1 of 1