MP40's Modelguns Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
MP40's Modelguns Forum

International Forum for Modelgun enthusiasts

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Airsoft USP Conversion to PFC

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

Number of posts : 11075
Location / Country : North Wales
Registration date : 2008-07-20

Airsoft USP Conversion to PFC Empty
PostSubject: Airsoft USP Conversion to PFC   Airsoft USP Conversion to PFC Icon_minitimeMon Aug 25, 2008 5:59 pm

Post by kickback

Hi Guys,

Here is another of kickback's conversions,this time using a "real size" usp compact airsoft pistol for the base modelgun.
Unlike the other usp compact i did this airsoft pistol was different in size,this pistol excepted the real steel mags,that did not fit in the Tanaka modelgun as they were too small? and this is what caused me all the problems Airsoft USP Conversion to PFC Icon_rolleyes

Firstly unlike my other conversion the Tanaka's internals would not fit in this model,so the airsoft internals had to be modified...and some parts removed for this to act like the real pistol,but the biggest problem was that there was no ejector,so one had to be fitted!! this took hours to grind and fit it into the already tight framework of the airsoft pistol Airsoft USP Conversion to PFC Icon_eek

The other major problem was the metal airsoft slide,this had to be totally ground out,so the modified Tanaka breech block could be fitted,this took around 20 hours on and off and several dremmel bits!!,but i must admit i'm very pleased with the outcome.

I will not bore everyone with all the tedious parts i had to change and modify but it was an enjoyable project for me and as i was actually doing this for another forum member and not myself i had to make sure it worked correctly Airsoft USP Conversion to PFC Icon_biggrin

Well here are some pics of the finished model,I myself like the used look ( can't stand shiny new guns) but as liquid metal had to be used in the top of the slide as the mock roll pin locations did not match up with the breech block i had to make new holes and fill in the old ones,so spraying the slide was a must

Well what do you think
Airsoft USP Conversion to PFC Pic0363

Airsoft USP Conversion to PFC Pic0366

Airsoft USP Conversion to PFC Pic0365

I will try and get some video up of the model working soon.
I will get this off to its rightfull owner real soon....you know who you are Airsoft USP Conversion to PFC Icon_lol

Cheers
Kickback
Back to top Go down
https://mp40modelguns.forumotion.net
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: Airsoft USP Conversion to PFC   Airsoft USP Conversion to PFC Icon_minitimeMon Aug 25, 2008 6:00 pm

Post by kickback

Here is a little teaser video (sorry about the quality Airsoft USP Conversion to PFC Icon_redface )and not too sure why it plays twice Airsoft USP Conversion to PFC Icon_confused

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y47wIgZIa2c

Kickback
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: Airsoft USP Conversion to PFC   Airsoft USP Conversion to PFC Icon_minitimeMon Aug 25, 2008 6:01 pm

Post by fightdesigner

Nice work!

Oh, to have your tools, skills, and free time... Airsoft USP Conversion to PFC Icon_lol
Are you using the tanaka cartridges? I found those a pain to work with in the brief period of time I had a functioning Tanaka USP... as I've heard has happened with others, the trigger broke on mine the first time I rented it out as a prop (despite instruction, the guy left the safety on and then just kept trying to pull the trigger harder).
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: Airsoft USP Conversion to PFC   Airsoft USP Conversion to PFC Icon_minitimeMon Aug 25, 2008 6:02 pm

Post by Mark

looking great!

Very nice work there on the conversion!

The USP is a good looking handgun but it is very large. Even the "compact" version is large looking to me. But, they are nice handguns and i almost bought one a couple of years ago.

The conversion of an airsoft gun to a modelgun must be really hard to do as i have yet to try it myself. Perhaps i will have to try it as soon as i get some spare time.

MGC MP40 Marushin MP40 Nakata MP40 TRC MP40

Modelgun manufacturers, past and present:CMC,CAW,Hudson,HWS,LS,MGC(R.I.P. 1960's~2007) Marushin,Marui,Kokusai,Shoei,Tanaka and Western Arms
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: Airsoft USP Conversion to PFC   Airsoft USP Conversion to PFC Icon_minitimeMon Aug 25, 2008 6:02 pm

Post by 2sharp

kickback wrote:
I will not bore everyone with all the tedious parts i had to change and modify
Please do!!!
Very nice work, most impressive i must say Smile
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: Airsoft USP Conversion to PFC   Airsoft USP Conversion to PFC Icon_minitimeMon Aug 25, 2008 6:03 pm

Post by 8ace

I have had the pleasure of seeing it in the flesh and the internals are a work of art Airsoft USP Conversion to PFC Icon_biggrin
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: Airsoft USP Conversion to PFC   Airsoft USP Conversion to PFC Icon_minitimeMon Aug 25, 2008 6:04 pm

Post by kickback

Hi Guys,

Thank you for all the great comments Airsoft USP Conversion to PFC Icon_redface ,it was a really good project to work on.

As for the carts i decided to go with the mgc p220 rounds as they are reliable and easy to come by,plus the Tanaka usp rounds are c**p!.

I will try and get a better video of this model before i post it out to its owner.

Again thanks guys Airsoft USP Conversion to PFC Icon_smile

Kickback
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: Airsoft USP Conversion to PFC   Airsoft USP Conversion to PFC Icon_minitimeMon Aug 25, 2008 6:04 pm

Post by MadMike

Very well done! Really amazing. It is so easy to read about it, but I can imagine how hard it must have been until everything worked.
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: Airsoft USP Conversion to PFC   Airsoft USP Conversion to PFC Icon_minitimeMon Aug 25, 2008 6:05 pm

Post by Spencerman

kickback wrote:
Here is a little teaser video (sorry about the quality Embarassed )and not too sure why it plays twice :?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y47wIgZIa2c
Kickback
I prefer the second time around, personally, as it is in widescreen, compared to the full frame look of the first loop, and shows more of the correct dimensions and more of the shot. I also like the sound, it sounds loud! Laughing What camera setup are you using??
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: Airsoft USP Conversion to PFC   Airsoft USP Conversion to PFC Icon_minitimeMon Aug 25, 2008 6:06 pm

Post by Claymore

I also have seen this gun and its superb.Kickback has done one hell of a job on this model i have seen it through all stages and wondered at times how he would get it to work but he has, not only does this look good and fires well but it feels good to, the metal slide just gives it the extra weight it needs.
Well done mate
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: Airsoft USP Conversion to PFC   Airsoft USP Conversion to PFC Icon_minitimeMon Aug 25, 2008 6:07 pm

Post by kickback

Hi Spencerman,

I use the Arcos 404 camcorder to record my video and Magix movie editor pro on my laptop to alter the shot and add titles etc Airsoft USP Conversion to PFC Icon_lol .

The first version is in wmv format for the windows player,but the tagged on version is in mpeg format so that is why the picture is not as clear.
I really can not give you any more details as my son helps me with a lot of this Airsoft USP Conversion to PFC Icon_redface as he knows what he is doing more than me.

I hope this helps a bit mate Airsoft USP Conversion to PFC Icon_biggrin

Cheers
Kickback

P.S.
Cheers Claymore Airsoft USP Conversion to PFC Icon_lol
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: Airsoft USP Conversion to PFC   Airsoft USP Conversion to PFC Icon_minitimeMon Aug 25, 2008 6:08 pm

Hiya Kickback,

What a fabulous job mate! It really is a feat of engineering skill.

I'd be more than interested to read about the detailed work you had to do, this sort of work fascinates me, more so when it's carried out by a "man in his garden shed" ! Airsoft USP Conversion to PFC Icon_biggrin

Pure Genius mate, well done!

Cerwyn
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: Airsoft USP Conversion to PFC   Airsoft USP Conversion to PFC Icon_minitimeMon Aug 25, 2008 6:08 pm

Post by Spencerman

Ok, Kickback made this model for me, and having spoken to him about it here is exactly what I think about this model, good and bad points, which I am sure that everyone here including Kickback will find interesting.

Now, before I start, I would like to emphasise the fact that this is a home made modification, and I guess that I should start off by saying, that being the case I was not too sure exactly what sort of cut and shunt job to expect, but I was looking forward to recieving the package and getting my hands on this gun. It is also worth remembering that I asked Kickback to build this for me completely at my own risk, understanding what needed to be done in order to achieve what I wanted, and hopefully I will cover many of these points as I go on. Also worth remembering that it cost me two guns to do, the airsoft USP Compact and the Tanaka model USP, and I would only end up with one gun at the end. I also had a full metal slide and barrel set for the airsoft gun, which is also an extra that costs more money still, I cannot remember exactly how much now, but it was the best slide that I have seen, cosmetically. Now, upon opening the package I was a little disappointed because it took me so bloody long to open it all up, it was packaged that well Airsoft USP Conversion to PFC Icon_wink , but when I saw the gun I just couldnt believe what it looked like. It is fantastic. I have to say that it is now probably my best modelgun of all! Here are a couple more pictures of it.

Airsoft USP Conversion to PFC P2260313

Airsoft USP Conversion to PFC P2260312

Now, I also supplied the real steel magazines to use in the conversion, as the airsoft model would accept those into the frame without modification. There is a slight negative to this, as the airsoft catch is slightly lower down, therfor making the magazine stick out slightly, as you can see a slight gap between that and the frame. Surprisingly this doesnt feel uncomfortable or anything like that as you may expect, and probably due to subtle differences between the real and the airsoft, seems to actually follow through with the natural contour of the hand anyway, so that is my first negative point, but it is not a negative as it is still good, if that makes sense. Time for another picture to show the magazine.

Airsoft USP Conversion to PFC P2260318

Now, I guess that I should mention a good point next. The safety catch and decocking lever all still work exactly as you may expect, so no change there. I know that sometimes you have to sacrifice some functions in order for it to work, but not so here. Also, for those who do not know, there is a transit lock on the USP Compact, which you need a key to unlock (or lock) which prevents the gun from firing. That is still there also. Here it is.

Airsoft USP Conversion to PFC P2260323

Great so far. Now for the biggest stumbling block for me, and one which caused me much worry. The barrel. Now I knew that Kickback was having a few problems with the airsoft barrel, as it kept on locking up no matter what he tried to do with it. As a solution to the problem, in order to make a working model and not just a dummy, he used the barrel from the USP. Cosmetically there are differences between them. I did not know how I would like this little change if I am honest, but I figured that I wanted a functional model rather than a dummy model, and said to just do what ever was needed. Personally, I could not start grinding and chopping at a cherished model of mine for fear of going wrong, so I was glad for him to do it instead of me, that way if I didnt like it, it was his fault! Airsoft USP Conversion to PFC Icon_lol Now, what I find is a little strange as a result of this. In order for the barrel to fit, quite obviously it would need to be cut down. There is also a ramp on the USP which is not on the Compact model. I like the end result. The ramped ejection port doesnt look bad at all. Whether this is due to false ramps being put onto guns in the movies and yet still looking good, I dont know, but it looked fine. That was one concern reassured. The other issue with the barrel is to do with Tanaka rather than Kickback. That bloody metal bar running through the barrel. By cutting down the barrel, this is right at the end, and so blatantly obvious. Here is time for another picture.

Airsoft USP Conversion to PFC P2260322

Now, surprisingly, this again doesnt look too bad, and doesnt even bother me. Maybe that is because it is there, and not trying to hide the fact that it is there, that makes it more acceptable. Now in case you thought that I had got someone else to take all my pictures lately becasue they are much better, then you are wrong, wait for the next one. Airsoft USP Conversion to PFC Icon_lol I wanted to show the breach block, but couldnt get close enough without going out of focus, and I do not know how to manually focus my camera, so you probably cant really see the detail, but here goes anyway. From the chamber end...

Airsoft USP Conversion to PFC P2260319

and from the rear...

Airsoft USP Conversion to PFC P2260321

If you can see any of the detail then you will see what a great job has been done to blend the parts. I can hardly tell what is now airsoft and what was originally Tanaka. A first class job done there certainly.

Now, I can only guesstimate as to the technical modifications made, but I shall have a go, and hopefully Kickback can point me right. I know that the magazine spring had to be cut down, but I do not know as to how much by, so maybe we can start there. You never know, what if I need a couple hundred more magazines! Then there is the breach block. I know that dimensionally it is a little larger than the Compact one, so I am fairly sure that a little had to be shaved off the hammer to get it to line up, and also that the guide tracks in the slide had to be lengthened, although I have not stripped it yet, to allow the slide to sit slightly farther forward, therefor making it not necessary to shave anything off the breach block in order to make it work. I noticed that also recoil spring guide rod has been changed, presumably a shortened Tanaka one reworked with a new or modified spring. Then there is the final modification needed to make it work, and this is what terrified me the most. The ejection rod.

This modification I know was not straight forward, because the metal slide didnt have one, but only a space for a dummy one to fit, so Kickback had to dremel out the slide in order to make one fit. As was mentioned, the roll pins didnt line up with the airsoft slides dummy roll pins, so new holes needed to be drilled and a complete refinishing of the slide was neccesary, along with liquid metal to fill the holes. My heart could have sunk at this point. I liked the finish of the metal slide. It was a kind of parkerised finish, although I know that they also do a oxidised finish one also. I wanted to get the latter, but still kind of liked the finish on the first one. As soon as I knew that the slide needed refinishing, my first thought was to the markings. I wasnt too worried about the hk etc. markings, but more the little etched ones, with the serial number etc. Now, I am sure that you would all agree with me that the gun looks good. You can tell that from all the pictures above, but here is the closest that I could get to the engravings.

Airsoft USP Conversion to PFC P2260314

As you may be able to see, they are all there, and I love the finish that the slide, and barrel for that matter, have. I can vouch that the slide has been completely refinnished, as the final look is not what was supplied to Kickback originally, and I would be very intersted as to how he managed to refinish the slide so well, and yet also still retain the delicate markings of the original. I absolubtly love the finish that this gun actually has, as I too prfer the slightly used look, not scratched, cant stand that, but worn or carried look is great. I also prefer the finish to the factory one that was supplied, it is far better.

I am glad that Kickback didnt make the gun to fire to fire the Tanaka round, as although they do look really nice, they are too fiddly, and the 220 rounds are great. It also means that in theory I could use disposeable rounds in it if I can get some more!!! I bet that you are wondering now how it fires. Well, that is a good question. You see, ever scince I got my German Shepherd it has been increasingly difficult for me to fire any modelguns at home, as she is not yet used to the bangs, although we are working on that, and I cannot just pop down the pub and fire off a few. As such, I have not had a chance to fire it yet Airsoft USP Conversion to PFC Icon_cry , but I am pretty sure that if it fires anywhere near as good as it looks, it will be great. Certainly when I get a camera with sound the you will see this for all it is worth on the videos section.

All in all, I am so impressed, I am flabberghasted. What I thought would be a fairly good conversion has turned out to be simply fantastic. I cannot wait for the next project that Kickback undertakes with me, which will no doubt be a lot more challenging for him, and probably also of the highest interest to most of you guys, and if that one ends up even in the ball park with this one I will be well chuffed. In short, even at my most critical, I cannot find any real bad points about this model, as any that I find are somewhat strangely liveable with. A true artist, enthusiast, magician, bastard, call him what you like, Kickback has more than earned my every respect with this model, as it far surpassed even my greatest hope for it, and is far better finished than any other factory produced modelgun that I own.

Airsoft USP Conversion to PFC P2260312

Bring on day 7 (especially as I have the P99 already covered)!
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: Airsoft USP Conversion to PFC   Airsoft USP Conversion to PFC Icon_minitimeMon Aug 25, 2008 6:09 pm

Post by Mark

Well dang! Now i will certainally have to try my own airsoft conversion as your gun turned out so awesomely! I guess the worst part is deciding which gun to try...

MGC MP40 Marushin MP40 Nakata MP40 TRC MP40

Modelgun manufacturers, past and present:CMC,CAW,Hudson,HWS,LS,MGC(R.I.P. 1960's~2007) Marushin,Marui,Kokusai,Shoei,Tanaka and Western Arms
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Airsoft USP Conversion to PFC   Airsoft USP Conversion to PFC Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Airsoft USP Conversion to PFC
Page 1 of 1