MP40's Modelguns Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
MP40's Modelguns Forum

International Forum for Modelgun enthusiasts

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

MP5 Conversion

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

Number of posts : 11075
Location / Country : North Wales
Registration date : 2008-07-20

MP5 Conversion Empty
PostSubject: MP5 Conversion   MP5 Conversion Icon_minitimeMon Aug 25, 2008 6:32 pm

Post by Spencerman

Refer also: https://mp40modelguns.forumotion.net/modelgun-modifications-f7/mp5-pfc-project-t553.htm

Ok, hopefully this will help anyone else who is thinking of undertaking the above project, and hopefully save you some money along the way. This is still very much a work in progress, and still has some way to go before it is finished. Before I start I would just like to get one thing off my chest, airsoft parts are crap. I would seriously reccomend that you use as few airsoft parts as possible because they are not even compatible with each other. For example, if you need a front sling hook, and you use the Classic Army metal forend, then you have to use a Classic Army sling hook, along with a Classic Army muzzle etc. This can get really frustrating, especially when you have paid for a specific part and you either have to throw it away, or you throw away all the hard work you have done to the other parts. Then there are the dimensional differences, which are the main problem with this project.

Now, I know you are all aching to see the beast that I am talking about and are probably more interested in that than reading about how to get there, MP5 Conversion Icon_lol , so here it is so far...

MP5 Conversion P3100437

MP5 Conversion P3100440

MP5 Conversion P3100439

Now, as of yet there is no chamber fitted so it will not cycle rounds, and much of the trigger mechanism is due to be replaced, so as I said, far from finished yet.

The first thing is to get yourself a shell. I had planned to use the Classic Army B&T body as it is metal and already has the ejection port cut out, thus saving loads of hard work, but I took over the project from Jay and decided that I liked the G&G body better, besides which, he had already done much modification and hard work to it already.

MP5 Conversion P3100441

You will find his thread here http://mp40modelguns.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?t=352 , but I decided for ease of use to just start a new one. You can see from the pictures here just how much work is needed to clear out the body from all the crap inside to allow for proper internals to fit and function.

MP5 Conversion P3100442

MP5 Conversion P3100443

MP5 Conversion P3100444

The real steel magazine is fatter than the airsoft version, so a lot of filing has to be done to allow it to fit. Dimensions really are off on the airsoft one. Also, as a result of this, the magazine relese catch needs to be filed down to suit, otherwise it will catch when the mag is pushed in, and it will stick out too far with it in place. Now here is a picture of the shell with the bolt carrier in place, and in case you never clicked on the link above to read the original thread, I suggest that you do, as it goes into more depth about some of the parts than I will.

MP5 Conversion P2220269

Now, this model will cycle fine, but as the bolt and chamber are as of yet unfinished will not cycle rounds. One of the problems that I found was that once the bolt is in place, the airsoft body has a top cap that sits in, and it is the wrong shape to allow the internals to pass through, needing loads of filing to get sorted. It is still not quite there, but almost. You can see here what I mean.

MP5 Conversion P3100447

The unmodified version has square sections between each part, whereas the joints need to be filed away, giving you three seperate sections shaped to allow the bolt carrier to pass through.
One other piece that needed trial and error to get right is the forward piece of the bolt carrier, containing the charging handle. A threadded hole was made in the carrier to accommodate the handle, but the airsoft handle slots in and is held in place by a screw that passes through the face of the flat surface. This had to be ground down to give a rod of roughly the same diameter and then treadded using a tap and die set so that it screwed into the the hole in the carrier. It will eventually use a bearing and spring to achieve the lock forward, should it ever work! MP5 Conversion Icon_biggrin

MP5 Conversion P3100445

Now, the trigger housing is probably the main part of this gun, containing most of the workings etc, and the airsoft is completely different from the real thing, leading to many problems. Fed up with this, I decided to use a few real scale parts to achieve my goal. Here is a picture of the airsoft grip (sef) next to a real scale grip, and it is pretty obvious that there are differences.

MP5 Conversion P2220272

Now, in order to get that to fit I still have some filing to do to the body, but that is not the only problem. The rear of the grip is the same size as the airsoft end cap, therefor preventing it from fitting inside it. A simple answer now is to just buy a new stock. Not quite that easy unfortunately. The real scale stock has much thicker arms, preventing them from slotting into the airsoft body. This would probably be ok if you wanted a fixed stock, but I wanted the slither stock version.

MP5 Conversion P2220273

MP5 Conversion P2220274

There really is absolubtly no comparison between the airsoft slither stock and the real one. It is so wrong that it is criminal. The airsoft is nothing like it whatsoever, almost like saying that a Beretta 92Fis exactly the same as a Colt 1911, they are nothing like each other. Now, in order to get the stock to fit, I need to make the groves deeper. Hopefully I shall have enough girth in the body to accomodate this, if not then I need to do some more internal reworking as it will reduce the internal cavity.

There is also no comparison between the airsoft surefire grip, and the real one. Go for the real one, as the quality is far superior, and also the airsoft version needs to accomodate a battery pack, the real one doesnt, and the proper model doesnt either.

MP5 Conversion P3100438

I still need to sort out some of the issues with the grip/stock, and any help anyone might have is well appreciated. I do need scale diagrams for certain parts so that I can get them made, or need certain parts made for me, such as the ejector. Anyone who can help please feel free to email me or pm me with details. More to follow soon...
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

MP5 Conversion Empty
PostSubject: Re: MP5 Conversion   MP5 Conversion Icon_minitimeMon Aug 25, 2008 6:33 pm

Post by MadMike

This is a great project and I am very impressed by your work. I was curious what had happend to Jay's project after the thread had petered out in early 2006 too.
I have learned that seeing how unrealistic AirSoft guns really are makes some people becoming interested in modelguns, but moste people interested in AirSoft are not so keen about deatails and realism, they enjoy a sturdy and reliable BB shooter that looks like the real steel firearm and that they can use at their skirmishes for shooting hundreds of cheap plastic bullets.
I would love to help you and contribute, but it is hard to get any good and detailed information, drawings or even parts for a reasonable price, even here in Germany.
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

MP5 Conversion Empty
PostSubject: Re: MP5 Conversion   MP5 Conversion Icon_minitimeMon Aug 25, 2008 6:33 pm

Wow Spencerman, what a superb account of your project to date! The amount of work you're putting in and obvious skill is really impressive and that project deserves to work

I look forwards to seeing the video when the time comes!

Well done indeed and please, please, continue to write on your progress as the project develops

Cerwyn
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

MP5 Conversion Empty
PostSubject: Re: MP5 Conversion   MP5 Conversion Icon_minitimeMon Aug 25, 2008 6:34 pm

Post by Jim

So what'll be done on the rear sight - overall this is EXCELLENT so I hate to see the rear sight spoil the whole thing...
Back to top Go down
https://mp40modelguns.forumotion.net
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

MP5 Conversion Empty
PostSubject: Re: MP5 Conversion   MP5 Conversion Icon_minitimeMon Aug 25, 2008 6:35 pm

Post by figaro

Looks terrific, good luck with it.

I like the scratched look to the receiver.

Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

MP5 Conversion Empty
PostSubject: Re: MP5 Conversion   MP5 Conversion Icon_minitimeMon Aug 25, 2008 6:36 pm

Post by GZ22

Looking very good! Please do keep us all posted.
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

MP5 Conversion Empty
PostSubject: Re: MP5 Conversion   MP5 Conversion Icon_minitimeMon Aug 25, 2008 6:36 pm

Post by ricks

Nice work & presentation - thanks for sharing it!
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

MP5 Conversion Empty
PostSubject: Re: MP5 Conversion   MP5 Conversion Icon_minitimeMon Aug 25, 2008 6:37 pm

Post by MadMike

Don't worry, mate. I think adding the proper rear sight will be Spencerman's smallest problem with this complex project.
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

MP5 Conversion Empty
PostSubject: Re: MP5 Conversion   MP5 Conversion Icon_minitimeMon Aug 25, 2008 6:38 pm

Post by Spencerman

I do have a couple of different rear sights to fit on, I just dont have the correct screw for it yet.

Just a little update on how things are coming along with this little project. I had the opportunity to take two new pictures, and yes, unfortunately only two, under...natural light! Ok, I know that it may not seem like such a big deal, but it is very difficult for me to do this as my dog doesnt like guns very much, and I cannot go out in the street to take pictures, so the back garden is the only realistic way for me to do this, and when it is nice weather, she likes to play out there, which is why it is difficult for me. Anyway my mum took her up the road with her and so I clipped all the parts together quickly so that I could take these:

MP5 Conversion P5050018

As far as the work behind the scenes is concerned, I will hopefully have the barrel finnished by the end of the week, and that should hopefully fit right into place, then it will be time to make the chamber etc. I have filed off nearly all of the excess metal on the frame under the trigger housing so that the real size one nearly fits, it just needs about 2mm more taken off in order for it to fit perfectly. The next stage then will be to cut out the guide rails for the stock so that that will fit. Once I start that process there will be no going back, it we be very much make or break time. I still need quite a few parts for the trigger mechanism so if anyone has any dimensions that would be a great help. I also need the blooming screw still that holds that rear sight in place, I only balanced it on there for the picture.

MP5 Conversion P5050020
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

MP5 Conversion Empty
PostSubject: Re: MP5 Conversion   MP5 Conversion Icon_minitimeMon Aug 25, 2008 6:39 pm

Post by MadMike

Great to see this project developing! Your gun looks stunning, and I really hope that you will be able to fix the internals as this will be the hardest job I am sure.

Frankly speaking I was a little afraid that you ditched the MP5 project like others before, so I am really happy you are still working on it. Don't give up, mate!
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

MP5 Conversion Empty
PostSubject: Re: MP5 Conversion   MP5 Conversion Icon_minitimeMon Aug 25, 2008 6:40 pm

Post by 2sharp

The Mp5 is really, really a sweet looking gun!!!

As if you, me, we, everyone didn't know that already MP5 Conversion Icon_lol

The holy quest for modelgun information and knowledge will never-ever end!!
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

MP5 Conversion Empty
PostSubject: Re: MP5 Conversion   MP5 Conversion Icon_minitimeMon Aug 25, 2008 6:41 pm

This is going to be one stunning model gun once it's all done.

I can't wait to see this firing !

Keep up the superb work Spencerman MP5 Conversion Icon_wink

Cerwyn
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

MP5 Conversion Empty
PostSubject: Re: MP5 Conversion   MP5 Conversion Icon_minitimeMon Aug 25, 2008 6:41 pm

Post by kickback

looking good!,looking good mannn!! this is just gonna be a great model when its done,keep us updated Spence MP5 Conversion Icon_biggrin MP5 Conversion Icon_biggrin

Kickback
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

MP5 Conversion Empty
PostSubject: Re: MP5 Conversion   MP5 Conversion Icon_minitimeMon Aug 25, 2008 6:42 pm

Post by Spencerman

Here is a picture of the new barrel for the gun. As you can see, it also has a fat piece at one end to add on to the airsoft body to take it to the correct length.

MP5 Conversion P5090017

Here it is attatched to the gun. It is slightly too long, so just needs filing down slightly to get a better fit, but probably only about 1mm. What I shall actually probably do is to grove out about 1 or 2 mm from the front of the forearm so that it slots over the barrel (even though only ever so slightly) because then it would hold it in place better and make things easier in the future when the chamber needs cleaning out and the gun needs dissassembling.

MP5 Conversion P5090018

So, you can see how the fat bit works to add to the body. The metal forend just sits in front of the barrel at the business end, but as I said, it is a little too tight at the moment so minor adjustment is needed. You can probably see if you look at the base of the forend when reattatched the slight gap that is left between it and the main body, and I did pull it in tight!

MP5 Conversion P5090019
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

MP5 Conversion Empty
PostSubject: Re: MP5 Conversion   MP5 Conversion Icon_minitimeMon Aug 25, 2008 6:43 pm

Post by PAWNO

OMG! I really have been away for too long! Look what you kids get up to when my back is turned...... MP5 Conversion Icon_biggrin That is a very, very nice looking project.

Like I said in my PM, Systema PTW mp5 parts might be a good source of bits and pieces for you with there more correct dimensions over the other AEG's out there. Unfortunately, they have only just come out and are very expensive. Not only that but you've come so far already!

Amazing work chap! ENVIOUSS!!!!!!!!!!!!
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

MP5 Conversion Empty
PostSubject: Re: MP5 Conversion   MP5 Conversion Icon_minitimeMon Aug 25, 2008 6:44 pm

Post by Spencerman

It has become brutally apparent to me that I will need to repaint the MP5 when it is finished, despite the fact that I do like the way it looks now, a little bit beaten up and a little bit of wear and tear, in fact I will probably swap the new surefire foregrip for an old exissue surefire foregrip, without the logo and also a little bit beaten up. I will have to repaint it after some of the more, difficult, work has been done to the body, then I will probably kick it around the floor a few times and rough it up a little. The problem is, what colour is an MP5? I know that the general consensus would probably say, 'it is black!', I know, but what type of black? Does anyone have a ral colour or a british standard colour, or a car colour, or even a Dulux colour that matches the proper finish of an MP5?
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

MP5 Conversion Empty
PostSubject: Re: MP5 Conversion   MP5 Conversion Icon_minitimeMon Aug 25, 2008 6:45 pm

Post by 8ace

I'd like to see the look on the face of the shop assistant in your local DIY store Very Happy
Not sure what colour they should be but i did find this
Quote :
The exterior finish used on the H&K system is baked enamel. The exact hue has varied over time. Early H&K weapons were finished with a light charcoal-gray enamel. More recent specimens have a matte black finish.
If you are happy with the current finish colour you could always get that colour matched and re-done
8ace
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

MP5 Conversion Empty
PostSubject: Re: MP5 Conversion   MP5 Conversion Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

MP5 Conversion
Page 1 of 1