MP40's Modelguns Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
MP40's Modelguns Forum

International Forum for Modelgun enthusiasts

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Wa Shan M9 Barrel Mod

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

Number of posts : 11075
Location / Country : North Wales
Registration date : 2008-07-20

Wa Shan M9 Barrel Mod Empty
PostSubject: Wa Shan M9 Barrel Mod   Wa Shan M9 Barrel Mod Icon_minitimeWed Sep 03, 2008 4:10 pm

Post by Spencerman

With regaurds to the Wa Shan, I agree that the main thing I hate about the M9 is that really thin barrel. The Glock and the 1911 that I have don not have these, and the Glock barrel is rather nice and fat, but here is what I did to prevent this from spoiling my model. Now, I am sure that the end result will have mixed reactions:

Wa Shan M9 Barrel Mod P6230035

Wa Shan M9 Barrel Mod P6230039

I had a rather nice chap make me a barrel insert, as you can see. I decided not to blue it in the end, as I rather liked the end result, and as my photography skills are pretty poor, the barrel insert does look rather more silver in the pictures than it does in reality. The main thing is that I am over the moon with it. I have no fake rifling, but the details that this metalworker managed to get , such as the slight chamfer into the inside of the barrel were far better than I had expected. The only negative point that I will mention, is that the extra weight that the insert gives the barrel, which I like, and the extra thickness which it gives the barrel, which was the main thing that I wanted, stop the barrel from making that rather nice chink sound that it makes as it rocks back when you cock the gun, now it is a much duller sound, which is a shame, but you cannot have it both ways. For obvious reasons I cannot say who did the mod for me on an open forum, as although there is no alternative reason other than to make the end look fatter, I know how dodgy things like modifying a berrel could be in the eyes of your local not so jolly fat policeman.
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: Wa Shan M9 Barrel Mod   Wa Shan M9 Barrel Mod Icon_minitimeWed Sep 03, 2008 4:16 pm

Post by MT01

Nice pics Spencerman

I think you made the right choice in keeping it silver. Blueing it would only have looked ok if you could have managed to get exactly the same shade/hue/finish as the barrel. I guess though as its an insert you could actually have one blued and one silver anyway?
Back to top Go down
https://mp40modelguns.forumotion.net
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: Wa Shan M9 Barrel Mod   Wa Shan M9 Barrel Mod Icon_minitimeWed Sep 03, 2008 4:17 pm

Post by MT01

Nice pics Spencerman

I think you made the right choice in keeping it silver. Blueing it would only have looked ok if you could have managed to get exactly the same shade/hue/finish as the barrel. I guess though as its an insert you could actually have one blued and one silver anyway?
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: Wa Shan M9 Barrel Mod   Wa Shan M9 Barrel Mod Icon_minitimeWed Sep 03, 2008 4:22 pm

Post by Doc

Nice Mod Spence , only question ... is it steel ? once fired will it discolour and corrode with those nasty modelgun gases ?

DOC

.... well anything mechanical that can kill people is interesting ...
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: Wa Shan M9 Barrel Mod   Wa Shan M9 Barrel Mod Icon_minitimeWed Sep 03, 2008 4:25 pm

Post by Phobus

Very nice Spencerman . I like it . That would look even better in my Silver version !!! Wa Shan M9 Barrel Mod Icon_lol

I know what you mean about the sound on cocking and releasing the slide . These days I am so protective with my models I only rarely do the slide release and then only with a cartridge in the mag for fear of potential damage . Wa Shan M9 Barrel Mod Icon_eek

But you do get a lovely steel like ker chinkkk... on opening the slide , probably amplified by that 12 gauge like barrel . Maybe its paranoia on my part but some parts of the model looks delicate to me , like the safety switch on the slide at the back .

I would happily lose the nice acoustics for a more realistic muzzle : do you think your mate could make up another barrel insert Spencerman ??

CARL.
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: Wa Shan M9 Barrel Mod   Wa Shan M9 Barrel Mod Icon_minitimeWed Sep 03, 2008 4:27 pm

Post by Spencerman

I believe that the insert is steel Doc, but I am not too worried if it does discolour eventually, as I still find it preferable to that big gaping hole that is there originally, not that it is too bad. I really couldnt say whether he would make any more or not, I do not know how happy he would be to do it, or how much he would charge for it, but I am sure that if he will then you would be able to sort out something with him. I think that a few parts are a little fragile, the fire selector on mine (The 'safety' lever on the right of the frame) which has to be pulled out to change, shredded the screw. I do not change it much, but if I did want to I would have to find a longer screw, or file some off of the locking lug so that I dont have to pull it out so far. I am also still very confused about this whole vcr bill, and I am not about to run out and join a skirmish site, as registering with one of those is just another form of gun licensing. They will achieve what they couldnt if they said everyone who wants a toy gun has to get a license, but the fact that you have to join a 'club' means that more people will probably do it, then when they want to get rid of them completely, they know where most of the guns are. I am not paraniod for nothing, I remember the restrictions that came in after Hungerford, and again after Dunblane. What comes next. Also returning back to the original topic now, I would like a Bladerunner special, but they are a little too dear for my tastes, but if anyone wants to get rid of one cheap, pm me!
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Wa Shan M9 Barrel Mod   Wa Shan M9 Barrel Mod Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Wa Shan M9 Barrel Mod
Page 1 of 1