MP40's Modelguns Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
MP40's Modelguns Forum

International Forum for Modelgun enthusiasts

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Can anyone ID my SA Revolver?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

Number of posts : 11076
Location / Country : North Wales
Registration date : 2008-07-20

Can anyone ID my SA Revolver? Empty
PostSubject: Can anyone ID my SA Revolver?   Can anyone ID my SA Revolver? Icon_minitimeSat Sep 06, 2008 10:38 am

Post by Ozguns

Here's a gun I bought about 6 years ago, but have no idea of the manufacturer or even it's purpose.

It is not made of alloy like most of my others, but it is quite heavier and is a magnetic steel. It appears to be machined and not cast. The barrel is blocked about 4" down. There are absolutely no markings on it at all. Not sure if the bullets are original for this gun or not, but they did come with it.

Any ideas who made it?

Can anyone ID my SA Revolver? DSCF0090Medium

Can anyone ID my SA Revolver? DSCF0092Medium[/img]
Back to top Go down
https://mp40modelguns.forumotion.net
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: Can anyone ID my SA Revolver?   Can anyone ID my SA Revolver? Icon_minitimeSat Sep 06, 2008 10:39 am

Post by Ozguns

Well, I pulled the cylinder out to find out why it's not rotating, and there is nothing broken, as there are no provisions there for rotating.
So I figure that it's just a decorator gun, but made of steel.
And a very nice one at that!

Last edited by Ozguns on Mon Apr 07, 2008 2:40 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: Can anyone ID my SA Revolver?   Can anyone ID my SA Revolver? Icon_minitimeSat Sep 06, 2008 10:40 am

Post by Claymore

the only steel ones i have seen before were german made and all blank firers, most other non firing replicas are either made in spain or italy but i have never seen one made of steel. nice looking model though
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: Can anyone ID my SA Revolver?   Can anyone ID my SA Revolver? Icon_minitimeSat Sep 06, 2008 10:40 am

Post by Spencerman

I amafraid that I cannot help either, but there are a couple of points that I find a little strange looking at it. The first is the grooves in the cylinder are rounded instead of being more pionty in the end of the fluting. It also seemes to have the trigger in the centre, instead of it being offset to one side. It also has a strange shaped strap at the front just in front of the trigger guard, as instead of stopping where it should it drops down and follows the contour of the frame and finishes further forward. This strikes me as particularly strange, as it must surely have been more work involved to make it like this. Is there no mechanism at all? as it seems particularly strange that someone would bother going to all the trouble that someone obviously has to make this that way if it does nothing, as surely someone with the skill to machine all that could easily machine the notches required on the cylinder to rotate it. I do not want to sound critical of your model by mentioning these points, I am not, I like it, it is a very nice model, I wouldnt mind it in my collection! I particularly like the barrel, it has a nice finish to it, decent thickness etc. I just hope that someone might think, ahh yeah, I remember so and so making one like that. Is there the mechanism for rotating the cylinder but just not the notches on the cylinder itself? Do the dummy rounds fit it, and do they do anything, like come apart etc. Maybe it is a presentation model, made by someone like say Franklin Mint to commemorate John Wayne or something (probably not that exact example, but maybe similar) whereby they targeted not gun collectors, but a more general market with a high quality model that is purely for display purposes. Did it come in any special box or anything? It is also nice to see decent wooden grips for a change.
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: Can anyone ID my SA Revolver?   Can anyone ID my SA Revolver? Icon_minitimeSat Sep 06, 2008 10:41 am

Post by ricks

I'm not certain, but I think Franklin Mint and/or another collectibles distributor marketed something similar in the States once, but I can't be sure - just offering the thought as a weak lead...
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: Can anyone ID my SA Revolver?   Can anyone ID my SA Revolver? Icon_minitimeSat Sep 06, 2008 10:47 am

Post by Ozguns

Thanks fellars, it's got me stumped where this gun originated from.

I've had this gun for around 6 years on display in my cabinets, and have never pulled it apart, until now!

It is all blued steel. Real wood grips.
From what I can gather, disassembles differently from other SA guns.
There are no screws holding the sides together, as usually they go through the hammer and trigger. In this case, pins go through the hammer and trigger. Barrel is held to frame with a screw. The sides of the frame are held together with the barrel screw and the two at the rear which secure grip to frame.

Absolutely no provision for rotating of cylinder, and no mechanism to do so.
The dummy rounds are just that.

Seems a waste that someone has gone through the effort of machining this thing up, and could have really finished it off!!

Can anyone ID my SA Revolver? DSCF2598Medium

Can anyone ID my SA Revolver? DSCF2596Medium
Back to top Go down
muzzleloader

muzzleloader

Number of posts : 9
Location / Country : Solingen / Germany
Registration date : 2010-02-21

PostSubject: Re: Can anyone ID my SA Revolver?   Can anyone ID my SA Revolver? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 23, 2010 10:29 pm

Hi,
I'm sorry answering sooo late... I just entered this forum as a New Member and found this interesting topic by browsing for REVOLVERs...
First I have to say, that I recently found more pictures of this gun somewhere in the internet, so I have more different views allowing me to judge it much better, than only from the pics in this topic here...
From my point of view this is NO modelgun, but probably more a GUNSMITH MASTERPIECE, made at the end of his education to give a proof of his skills...
The guy who made it probably did not want to create a working copy of an SAA Colt, so he did not care for the sight groove on top of the frame nor the cylinder transport with a hammer driven hand or any other mechanism...
He also did not care much to proportions and appearance except of the nice blueing...
The barrel is much too thick in outside diameter for a .45 SAA Colt, but the barrel base is worked out exactly to fit into the two halfs of the frame without any loose even without any thread.
The loading gate has an unusual shape but seems also to fit without any tolerance.
The unusual triggerguard and the frame in 2 halfs seem to be made only to show the exactness of the fits and also the very simple trigger & hammer setup seems to be made only to show the exactness of the catch.
The wooden grips are matching also exactly the frame, backstrap and trigger guard extension...
At last but not least the front sight and the front mount of the extractor housing seem NOT to be welded or soldered BUT FORGED in old fashioned gunsmith manner !

I think you may have all rights to be VERY PROUD owning this extraordinary and individual piece of gunsmithing skills !!!

Best Regards from Germany - Ray
Back to top Go down
smootik
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
smootik

Number of posts : 1823
Location / Country : Poland
Registration date : 2009-03-03

PostSubject: Re: Can anyone ID my SA Revolver?   Can anyone ID my SA Revolver? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 24, 2010 8:44 am

Hello muzzleloader and welcome to the forum :-)

Information that you provided is very interesting! Good to learn something new here.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Can anyone ID my SA Revolver?   Can anyone ID my SA Revolver? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Can anyone ID my SA Revolver?
Page 1 of 1