MP40's Modelguns Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
MP40's Modelguns Forum

International Forum for Modelgun enthusiasts

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Legal in the UK?

Go down 
AuthorMessage
8ace
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
8ace

Number of posts : 2554
Location / Country : UK
Registration date : 2008-08-06

Legal in the UK? Empty
PostSubject: Legal in the UK?   Legal in the UK? Icon_minitimeSat Sep 06, 2008 4:01 pm

*** Originally posted by lancejackass ***

I'm looking at getting some PFC firers (although i said that about 2 years back as well...) but i wonder, why are they uk legal?

They have crappy metal to stop firing gold tips and have the firing pin in the barrel, but how do they get around the front venting issue? I know that most gas and debris will vent up and right, but ive seen smoke coming out of the barrels. Surely this makes them front venters?

Just want to get my facts right before i buy one.

cheers
LJ
Back to top Go down
8ace
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
8ace

Legal in the UK? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Legal in the UK?   Legal in the UK? Icon_minitimeSat Sep 06, 2008 4:01 pm

*** Originally posted by cerwyn ***

Hiya,
I've pasted a link here for you that explains what pfc models are and that they're within current UK laws.
I've a few pfc models some with open barrel some solid. The firing pin and chamber fit in front of the rounds, the end's perforated to allow smoke through but there's noway you'd get a projectile through there. Presumably that's the legal safeguard?
http://www.modelguns.co.uk/MGfaq.htm
By the way, I've no connection at all with Modelguns.co.uk other than being a happy customer of theirs!
C
Back to top Go down
8ace
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
8ace

Legal in the UK? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Legal in the UK?   Legal in the UK? Icon_minitimeSat Sep 06, 2008 4:01 pm

Cheers mate. But isnt there some law that says that NO gas can be vented forwards?
Back to top Go down
8ace
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
8ace

Legal in the UK? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Legal in the UK?   Legal in the UK? Icon_minitimeSat Sep 06, 2008 4:02 pm

You got me there chum...
I know there's a further link on the one I sent you giving Home Office regs and all that.
Thinking about this though, and I'll be happy to be corrected here, but if the gases created by the ignition of the charge are all contained within the brass cartridge, then there'd only be residual smoke venting out the front?
The pressurised gases push the internal piston within the round to make the gun function like the real thing, i.e. it creates back pressure to send the bolt back, eject and recycle etc. There's no force at all in the smoke (can't call it gases really) coming out of the muzzle.

I'm sure that Mark the moderator on the forum will put us right on this...
Back to top Go down
8ace
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
8ace

Legal in the UK? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Legal in the UK?   Legal in the UK? Icon_minitimeSat Sep 06, 2008 4:02 pm

*** Originally posted by doc ***

modelguns don`t excert any pressure out of the muzzle so would be incapable of firing any type of projectile at any distance.
Also, as has been mentioned on here before because of modelgun design the smoke coming out of a modelgun is after the cartidge has fired and is on its exit out of the gun.

they dont work at all like blank guns so don`t fall into the same category even though the outward apperance is the same .
Back to top Go down
8ace
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
8ace

Legal in the UK? Empty

Thanks Doc, I'm glad I was on the right track.
So there you go Lance, you can get yourself a modelgun with no worries.

C
Back to top Go down
8ace
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
8ace

Legal in the UK? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Legal in the UK?   Legal in the UK? Icon_minitimeSat Sep 06, 2008 4:03 pm

Cheers mate.

I'm looking at swaps at the minute. If anyones interested in a full metal gas powered airsoft baretta in trade then you know who to PM...
Back to top Go down
8ace
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
8ace

Legal in the UK? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Legal in the UK?   Legal in the UK? Icon_minitimeSat Sep 06, 2008 4:03 pm

*** Originally posted by helfire ***

HI LJ,

This is how my Marushin M16 rifle vents.

Cheers, Hellfire
Back to top Go down
8ace
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
8ace

Legal in the UK? Empty

[font=Arial Black][size=18]*** Originally posted by lancejackass ***[/]size][/font

But that does look like a forward venter then...
Back to top Go down
8ace
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
8ace

Legal in the UK? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Legal in the UK?   Legal in the UK? Icon_minitimeSat Sep 06, 2008 4:04 pm

*** Originally posted by 2sharp ***

Lance Jackass wrote:

But there's a huge difference in pressure, the model guns go "poof" and lazingly emit some smoke.
True blankfirers go "BANG" and quite a lot of pressure leaves the muzzle.

I used to blow soda pop cans to hell with my old blank firers, that'd never-ever work with a model gun.

There's of course some variety to the above, but model guns are in my opinion very different from blankfirers.

(in my opinion true blankfirers shoot crimped/enclosed cartridges with powder and a primer)
Back to top Go down
8ace
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
8ace

Legal in the UK? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Legal in the UK?   Legal in the UK? Icon_minitimeSat Sep 06, 2008 4:04 pm

*** Originally posted by madmike ***

Hello all!

Are there any news about the new VCR bill?
Back to top Go down
8ace
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
8ace

Legal in the UK? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Legal in the UK?   Legal in the UK? Icon_minitimeSat Sep 06, 2008 4:05 pm

*** Originally posted by mark ***

The VCR bill, is it still being discussed? Or has it (hopefully) died like any badly thought out and arbitrary law should? The fact that it was even thought up is bad enough as it attacks the wrong people and makes them instant criminals.
Back to top Go down
8ace
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
8ace

Legal in the UK? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Legal in the UK?   Legal in the UK? Icon_minitimeSat Sep 06, 2008 4:05 pm

*** Originally posted by claymore ***

it went through the house of lords on the 28 of last month but there has been no info that has come from that so i am in the dark as to what is happening at the moment
Back to top Go down
8ace
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
8ace

Legal in the UK? Empty

Claymore, that's never a good sign as goverments like to keep us in the dark..Especially when it comes to gun control in any form...
Back to top Go down
8ace
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
8ace

Legal in the UK? Empty

I agree it worries me that there has been no news and the airsoft sites have had nothing on them either and that is very strange as they are the main group fighting in our corner
Back to top Go down
8ace
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
8ace

Legal in the UK? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Legal in the UK?   Legal in the UK? Icon_minitimeSat Sep 06, 2008 4:06 pm

If the people that are doing the most "fighting" to make sure that bad bills like the VCR doesn't become a (bad) law, have no clue about the bills current status. And they aren't saying anything as to the bills fate, that is a very bad sign indeed...
Back to top Go down
8ace
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
8ace

Legal in the UK? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Legal in the UK?   Legal in the UK? Icon_minitimeSat Sep 06, 2008 4:06 pm

Arnies airsoft ---> VCR bill forum

Everything we know is in there.

A bloke called "minimiman" is leading the appeal.
Back to top Go down
8ace
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
8ace

Legal in the UK? Empty

That would be great, except arnies is down and no indication if it will ever be up and running again. I know its for server work but once a site goes down for any length of time it's dificult to get it going again and by then it may well be too late.
It's a bit worrying to see forum and info sites going down and also sellers closing doors, it really does not look good.
Back to top Go down
8ace
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
8ace

Legal in the UK? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Legal in the UK?   Legal in the UK? Icon_minitimeSat Sep 06, 2008 4:07 pm

*** Originally posted by needsmoremgs ***

2Sharp wrote:
Lance Jackass wrote:

But there's a huge difference in pressure, the model guns go "poof" and lazingly emit some smoke.
True blankfirers go "BANG" and quite a lot of pressure leaves the muzzle.

I used to blow soda pop cans to hell with my old blank firers, that'd never-ever work with a model gun.

There's of course some variety to the above, but model guns are in my opinion very different from blankfirers.

(in my opinion true blankfirers shoot crimped/enclosed cartridges with powder and a primer)

actually all the real blank firers (full metal, blank loads etc not the toys) have a factory plugged barrel with some metal alloy and a screw in it. reason being is that you can actually use them to fire .32s and such if they aren't plugged. there were several cases in the UK where people with machine shops managed to somehow drill them and make them fire.

naturally i tried it too but didn't even dent the "plug". so blank firers are closed barrel as well, at least the new ones and at least those that are UK legal..
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Legal in the UK? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Legal in the UK?   Legal in the UK? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Legal in the UK?
Page 1 of 1