MP40's Modelguns Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
MP40's Modelguns Forum

International Forum for Modelgun enthusiasts

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Sterling Bolt

Go down 
+3
2Sharp
kickback
One Skunk Todd
7 posters
AuthorMessage
One Skunk Todd
Modelgun Enthusiast
Modelgun Enthusiast

Number of posts : 12
Location / Country : USA
Registration date : 2009-02-19

Sterling Bolt Empty
PostSubject: Sterling Bolt   Sterling Bolt Icon_minitimeThu Feb 19, 2009 8:23 pm

I was lucky enough to pick up a Sterling on ebay last year. It's in fair condition but the bolt face is cut and the chamber plugged. Did I read that 8ace makes steel bolts for the Sterling? Is there a source for firing pins and rounds?
Back to top Go down
kickback
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
kickback

Number of posts : 338
Location / Country : UK.Cambridgeshire
Registration date : 2008-08-11

Sterling Bolt Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sterling Bolt   Sterling Bolt Icon_minitimeThu Feb 19, 2009 9:06 pm

Hi One skunk todd?,

Firstly a big welcome to the forum mate,i'm sure your gonna fit in well here Very Happy Very Happy .Well sadly 8ace no longer makes steel parts for modelguns including the bolt you are after Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad ,we all miss the great parts he used to make.

Francky or Shazhib who are forum members and modelgun experts in Japan will be able to get the detonator pins,rounds and probaly scource you a bolt too at a really good price,so i'd contact them if i was you.

I hope this info helps Very Happy ,and if you have no luck..i'll buy the sterling What a Face What a Face

Cheers
Kickback
Back to top Go down
One Skunk Todd
Modelgun Enthusiast
Modelgun Enthusiast

Sterling Bolt Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sterling Bolt   Sterling Bolt Icon_minitimeThu Feb 19, 2009 9:14 pm

Yeah I just finished reading about 8ace's situation. That really sucks.

I've bought from Francky before and I occasionally see bolts there but haven't managed to snag one yet. Does Shazhib have a website?

If I ever sell the Sterling you'll be the first to know. (don't hold your breath) Razz
Back to top Go down
2Sharp
Modelgun Master
Modelgun Master

Number of posts : 229
Location / Country : The Swedish Kingdom
Registration date : 2008-09-10

Sterling Bolt Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sterling Bolt   Sterling Bolt Icon_minitimeThu Feb 19, 2009 10:08 pm

And now pics of that Sterling please!
Back to top Go down
8ace
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
8ace

Number of posts : 2554
Location / Country : UK
Registration date : 2008-08-06

Sterling Bolt Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sterling Bolt   Sterling Bolt Icon_minitimeFri Feb 20, 2009 10:17 am

Cheers guys,

Yep it's a bummer Crying or Very sad but things might change in the future Very Happy

8ace
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

Number of posts : 11075
Location / Country : North Wales
Registration date : 2008-07-20

Sterling Bolt Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sterling Bolt   Sterling Bolt Icon_minitimeFri Feb 20, 2009 11:00 am

Welcome to the forum one skunk todd!

Shazhib can be contacted by PM here as he's a fellow member.

I'm pretty sure www.modelguncollector.co.uk made and sold steel Sterling bolts... could be worth you sending Kevin an e-mail there too?

Hobby collector of Replica model guns and Militaria.
also member of Living History Reenactment Groups.
Back to top Go down
https://mp40modelguns.forumotion.net
One Skunk Todd
Modelgun Enthusiast
Modelgun Enthusiast

Sterling Bolt Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sterling Bolt   Sterling Bolt Icon_minitimeMon Feb 23, 2009 3:30 am

Thanks Cerwyn. Put some pictures of my Sterling in the Sterling thread. I checked and it seems like modelguns UK does sell the steel bolt althought the price is listed as POA. (Price On Asking?) It may be a little out of my range at the moment.
Back to top Go down
megamicrofish
Modelgun Enthusiast
Modelgun Enthusiast

Number of posts : 137
Location / Country : United Kingdom
Registration date : 2009-11-24

Sterling Bolt Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sterling Bolt   Sterling Bolt Icon_minitimeSun May 30, 2010 12:26 pm

One Skunk Todd wrote:
Thanks Cerwyn. Put some pictures of my Sterling in the Sterling thread. I checked and it seems like modelguns UK does sell the steel bolt althought the price is listed as POA. (Price On Asking?) It may be a little out of my range at the moment.

I am after a steel bolt and I thought I would resurrect this thread.
Just to let you know that www.modelguncollector.co.uk will not sell a Steel bolt unless you purchased the sterling off of them and I quote "we only supply custom steel parts to customers that have purchased modelguns from us ( its part of our customer service)" which I think is a bit narrow minded as I would have purchased lots more stuff but I suppose it is their prerogative Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
smootik
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
smootik

Number of posts : 1823
Location / Country : Poland
Registration date : 2009-03-03

Sterling Bolt Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sterling Bolt   Sterling Bolt Icon_minitimeSun May 30, 2010 12:47 pm

megamicrofish wrote:
Just to let you know that www.modelguncollector.co.uk will not sell a Steel bolt unless you purchased the sterling off of them
Ooops :-/
Modelguns Worldwide had the same policy of servicing/selling parts only for replicas that they have sold, but I was not aware that MGCUK had the same.

From the business point of view I think I can understand that policy, even if it's a pity for collectors.
Back to top Go down
8ace
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
8ace

Number of posts : 2554
Location / Country : UK
Registration date : 2008-08-06

Sterling Bolt Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sterling Bolt   Sterling Bolt Icon_minitimeSun May 30, 2010 3:24 pm

I think that MGCUK not supplying custom steel parts for everybody is a sensible policy (although frustrating if you need the part) as you have to be a little more careful with custom bits. But they will supply normal parts even if you haven't brought the model from them.

8ace
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

Sterling Bolt Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sterling Bolt   Sterling Bolt Icon_minitimeSun May 30, 2010 4:24 pm

There's a custom steel bolt for sale on Gunbroker.com

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=171195595

could be worth a look Sterling Bolt Icon_wink

Back to top Go down
megamicrofish
Modelgun Enthusiast
Modelgun Enthusiast

Number of posts : 137
Location / Country : United Kingdom
Registration date : 2009-11-24

Sterling Bolt Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sterling Bolt   Sterling Bolt Icon_minitimeSun May 30, 2010 4:47 pm

Yes, I saw that on Gunbroker but no International shipping.
How much do these things normally cost is $250 (£175) about right ?
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

Sterling Bolt Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sterling Bolt   Sterling Bolt Icon_minitimeSun May 30, 2010 5:08 pm

megamicrofish wrote:
Yes, I saw that on Gunbroker but no International shipping.
How much do these things normally cost is $250 (£175) about right ?

The seller on Gunbroker won't sell complete modelguns outside the USA as there are to many Customs problems these days.
He'll usually send parts though if you e-mail him first.

As for price, well it's back to "supply and demand" I suppose. The rarer things are, the dearer they'll be just like everything else.
The chances of finding a new unused MGC Sterling bolt are 99.99% NIL these days. The last time I heard, I think (not sure) MGCUK were charging about £120 for a custom made steel one. They are one offs or very small prodction runs so the amount of machining, turning and milling will warrant high prices.
That said, $250 DOES seem a bit steep but if that's the only bolt out there you might have to dig deep into your pocket I'm afraid

Back to top Go down
smootik
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
smootik

Number of posts : 1823
Location / Country : Poland
Registration date : 2009-03-03

Sterling Bolt Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sterling Bolt   Sterling Bolt Icon_minitimeSun May 30, 2010 5:33 pm

Cerwyn wrote:
The seller on Gunbroker won't sell complete modelguns outside the USA as there are to many Customs problems these days.He'll usually send parts though if you e-mail him first.
One comment though - bolt is considered in some countries to be an essential part of a weapon and is restricted just like a weapon. In this case it is a modelgun spare part, but unless buyer is prepared to explain that in Customs, this bolt might be simply confiscated. This is a high risk for the seller - buyers can just claim back money through Paypal. This is often reason that sellers prefer not to ship internationally.

Based on my experience Model Gun Collector USA does ship smaller parts and cartridges if you email him first to check if that's ok.

Your comment about availability vs price is right... more and more spare parts are becoming scarce, especially custom bolts. These used to be manufactured in UK on demand, but no longer so after VCRA act :-(
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Sterling Bolt Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sterling Bolt   Sterling Bolt Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Sterling Bolt
Page 1 of 1