MP40's Modelguns Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
MP40's Modelguns Forum

International Forum for Modelgun enthusiasts

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

MGC Sterling: I could do with some help please!

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
sskunky

Number of posts : 7
Location / Country : united kingdom
Registration date : 2011-07-15

MGC Sterling: I could do with some help please! Empty
PostSubject: MGC Sterling: I could do with some help please!   MGC Sterling: I could do with some help please! Icon_minitimeFri Jul 15, 2011 9:59 am

Hi Guys,

I'm a newbie here, My name is Mark and love Sterlings!

I have an Old spec L2A3.

I have just recently acquired an MGC Sterling but the barrel is cut and the bolt has been cut too. It's missing the detonater pin.

I really want to get this thing up and running. I have tried Francky for the parts but they are way too expensive! His friend wanted £635 just for a 3rd party Barrel, chamber and muzzle face!!!

Can anyone suggest another source for parts?

Here are some pics.......

MGC Sterling: I could do with some help please! MGCSterlingparts1

MGC Sterling: I could do with some help please! MGCSterlingparts2

MGC Sterling: I could do with some help please! MGCSterlingparts5

MGC Sterling: I could do with some help please! MGCSterlingparts4

Last edited by sskunky on Fri Jul 15, 2011 11:17 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
sskunky

PostSubject: Re: MGC Sterling: I could do with some help please!   MGC Sterling: I could do with some help please! Icon_minitimeFri Jul 15, 2011 10:32 am

Thought I should post a pic of the actual Sterling!!!

MGC Sterling: I could do with some help please! MGCSterling
Back to top Go down
smootik
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
smootik

Number of posts : 1823
Location / Country : Poland
Registration date : 2009-03-03

PostSubject: Re: MGC Sterling: I could do with some help please!   MGC Sterling: I could do with some help please! Icon_minitimeFri Jul 15, 2011 11:49 am

Welcome to the forum Mark!

MGC Sterling is an outstanding model in many ways, starting with the looks :-)
It was manufactured in late 60s/early 70s when constructing modelguns from steel was still allowed in Japan. Sadly this means that spare parts are virtually non-existent, and they fetch high prices. Models themselves are also rare, and often maimed as in your case.
Given high demand and very low production numbers I can see that any spare would be expensive. The price you quoted is higher than I would be able to pay.

Posting message here is probably the best way to find another source for these parts.
You might also check with PlugFireCapGuns UK and Modelgun Collector UK (MGCUK), who are currently the European vendors dealing with modelguns. I don't expect they would have parts on stock, but they could give you a quote and availability information.

I hope you will get your Sterling restored and going :-)
Back to top Go down
kiwigunner
Modelgun Master
Modelgun Master
kiwigunner

Number of posts : 556
Location / Country : Auckland/New Zealand
Registration date : 2010-03-10

PostSubject: Re: MGC Sterling: I could do with some help please!   MGC Sterling: I could do with some help please! Icon_minitimeSun Jul 17, 2011 12:57 am

Hi & Welcome!

I think the barrel could easily be repaired by the use of a two-part metal epoxy putty.
In NZ we have a product called Knead-it: in the UK you are bound to have a similar product. 'Exclamation'

MGC Sterling: I could do with some help please! SelleysKneadItSteel-Video__31747_zoom
This putty sets as hard as steel, looks like metal, and can be worked like metal.
By forcing the mixed putty into the cuts from inside the barrel until the slots are over-filled; and leaving the putty around the threaded section quite thick; when dry, the surplus may be filed, sanded and re-threaded relatively easily.'sunny'

It will set hard in about 15-20 minutes, and just before it "sets" you could score some temporary threading grooves in the material for later finishing - but the transition from slightly soft to hard can be VERY fast (depends on the room temperature).

Your bolt would need replacing unless an epoxy putty could be used and then machined? I don't know that it would take the strain, but you might try it as a last resort. 'scratch'

You might be able to make a new chamber with this stuff if you can make a mold from another???
Good luck - and let us know how you get on whatever fix you find!

Kiwigunner

Back to top Go down
http://anzaction.weebly.com/
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

Number of posts : 11075
Location / Country : North Wales
Registration date : 2008-07-20

PostSubject: Re: MGC Sterling: I could do with some help please!   MGC Sterling: I could do with some help please! Icon_minitimeSun Jul 17, 2011 10:47 am

Hi Mark, welcome to the forum, it's always a real pleasure to welcome newcomers:D

MGC's Sterling is a great modelgun, I was lucky enough to add one to my collection last year. Your example is one of the many modelguns exported by MGC as Dummy models only, incapable of firing cap loaded cartridges.
The ground boltface makes it impossible to cycle cartridges manually too.

I was lucky, mine is a cap firing model.

As smootik has said, spare parts for these are rare now and prices asked for them if and when they become available are going up all the time now.

The Barrel, Chamber and Bolt are made of cast ZincAlloy. To restore your Sterling back to cap-firing trim you'll need either replacement parts or repair what you have. You'll also need a Detonator Pin and cartridges, MGC P220 were the first option.
These work very well in the Sterling. Unfortunately, MGC don't make 'em anymore but Francky can get good quality copies made. Prices are on the expensive side though
The other option is KSC 9mm Luger c.p. cartridges. A good cartridge, cheaper too. These should work in the Sterling with a little modification to the extractor and possibly opening the chamber diameter out a little.
I'll make sure they fit the magazine and let you know.

Have you seen this article:?: ... exactly the same problem as you have...

Have a read through this, check the links mentioned there too for more information and ideas. If MGC spare parts don't come to light, perhaps you could consider having replacements made from steel (bolt & chamber) and possibly aluminium for the barrel.

kiwigunner's suggestion to use metal putty would be well worth trying on the barrel, I'm not sure if it would survive the hammering it'd get on the boltface and feed ramp in particular

Keep us posted please:D

Hobby collector of Replica model guns and Militaria.
also member of Living History Reenactment Groups.
Back to top Go down
https://mp40modelguns.forumotion.net
sskunky

PostSubject: Re: MGC Sterling: I could do with some help please!   MGC Sterling: I could do with some help please! Icon_minitimeSat Jul 30, 2011 1:38 pm

Sorry haven't responded earlierbut real life got in the way and I also got no notification of replies to my thread.
Thanks to all that have posted.

I was thinking of the metal epoxy myself but didn't know if that was going to hold up under firing conditions.

I'm totally up for parts being made for this but at £645 or so from what I was quoted by Francky is well, just beyond my budget at the moment. That's nearly twice what I payed for the whole Sterling!

Is there anyone else making parts that are more reasonable? I'm also up for second hand but I know they are rare.
I already have a deto pin from Franky as that was fairly reasonable.

Yes I have seen that other thread. I know Paul and have talked via email quite bit but he sold the spare parts he had on here a while back. I believehe only payed about £195 for all the parts I'm looking torso that I could stretch to.

So if anyone has any pointers please let me know.

Many thanks chaps, I really appreciate your time.

Mark. cheers

Back to top Go down
sskunky

PostSubject: Re: MGC Sterling: I could do with some help please!   MGC Sterling: I could do with some help please! Icon_minitimeSun Aug 07, 2011 11:37 am

Is my chamber supposed to have this hole drilled trough it?

MGC Sterling: I could do with some help please! Chamber

Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: MGC Sterling: I could do with some help please!   MGC Sterling: I could do with some help please! Icon_minitimeSun Aug 07, 2011 12:05 pm

Hi sskunky

It looks like that hole is one of the modifications made to stop the model firing cap loaded cartridges.

The barrel would, most likely, have a corresponding hole lining up with it once screwed in place.

If you managed to find a barrel that's not been cut and/or drilled you may be able to screw the barrel over the chamber's thread which will seal up that hole.

Back to top Go down
sskunky

PostSubject: Re: MGC Sterling: I could do with some help please!   MGC Sterling: I could do with some help please! Icon_minitimeSun Aug 07, 2011 1:12 pm

I don't have the hole on the barrel but when its screwed together the hole can still be seen.
Back to top Go down
sskunky

PostSubject: Re: MGC Sterling: I could do with some help please!   MGC Sterling: I could do with some help please! Icon_minitimeSun Aug 07, 2011 1:20 pm

I presuming the holes will prevent the blowback action due to venting the pressure?

Does anyone machine parts for these anymore? looks like I need a barrel, bolt and a chamber....
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: MGC Sterling: I could do with some help please!   MGC Sterling: I could do with some help please! Icon_minitimeSun Aug 07, 2011 6:46 pm

Hi sskunky,

I assume the hole can be seen through the cut slot in your barrel Question

MGC Sterling: I could do with some help please! MGCSterlingparts4

Have a word with John at PFCGUK, maybe he might be able to have new parts made for you Question

Otherwise, try Francky or Shazib in Japan. They'll have access to a guy known as Mika in Japan who makes parts to order. He makes custom det.pins, chambers (recently for MGC STEN MkIII) and other parts. It may be worth a try

Back to top Go down
sskunky

PostSubject: Re: MGC Sterling: I could do with some help please!   MGC Sterling: I could do with some help please! Icon_minitimeWed Sep 28, 2011 9:05 am

Well after a few quid and some very kind help from PFCGUK I now have a fully functional MGC Sterling!

Thanks to everyone here that has helped me on my journey.

I couldn't have done it without you guys.... cheers

I will get a video up as soon as I can get to fire it.

What are the rules/law to firing these things? I've not done it yet. I'm worried about the neighbours! Laughing
Back to top Go down
kiwigunner
Modelgun Master
Modelgun Master
kiwigunner

Number of posts : 556
Location / Country : Auckland/New Zealand
Registration date : 2010-03-10

PostSubject: Re: MGC Sterling: I could do with some help please!   MGC Sterling: I could do with some help please! Icon_minitimeWed Sep 28, 2011 10:35 am

Excellent news sskunky ! cheers

That's why this forum is so good.... many like-minded souls with modelgun interests across the whole spectrum.
Like you, I have found the people here fantastic helpers and thoughtful problem solvers - a great International Network we can all share in. Very Happy

And I can't resist the Pun: a Stirling effort! lol!
Look forward to your videos! bounce

Kiwigunner

Back to top Go down
http://anzaction.weebly.com/
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: MGC Sterling: I could do with some help please!   MGC Sterling: I could do with some help please! Icon_minitimeSun Oct 09, 2011 2:14 pm

sskunky wrote:
Well after a few quid and some very kind help from PFCGUK I now have a fully functional MGC Sterling!

Thanks to everyone here that has helped me on my journey.

I couldn't have done it without you guys.... cheers

I will get a video up as soon as I can get to fire it.

What are the rules/law to firing these things? I've not done it yet. I'm worried about the neighbours! Laughing

Great news sskunky Very Happy it's a real pleasure helping out, I'm glad everything's worked out for you cheers

As for legalities of firing, the best advice really is to stay indoors and fire it in he confines of your own home. No need to worry unduly about noise as cap firing models aren't anywhere near as loud as Blank Firers. A word of warning though, cartridges will eject from the model at speed and travel several feet during firing so make sure you're not near fragile ornaments, windows, TVscreens etc. Most of us hae broken something at one time or other.

Firing indoors makes finding those re-useable cartridges a lot easier too

Avoid firing or even carrying the model outside, even though it is only a model, it's as real looking as you'll get, any passing neighbour seeing you with a "Machinegun" might just panic and call the Police

Enjoy your Stirling, I'll look forwards to the video Wink

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: MGC Sterling: I could do with some help please!   MGC Sterling: I could do with some help please! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

MGC Sterling: I could do with some help please!
Page 1 of 1