MP40's Modelguns Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
MP40's Modelguns Forum

International Forum for Modelgun enthusiasts

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Removing Gold plate finish from metal model guns

Go down 
+4
claymore
veektohr
singleaction
Cerwyn
8 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
lampwick
Modelgun Master
Modelgun Master
lampwick

Number of posts : 359
Location / Country : UK
Registration date : 2008-09-11

removing gold - Removing Gold plate finish from metal model guns - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Removing Gold plate finish from metal model guns   removing gold - Removing Gold plate finish from metal model guns - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 12, 2016 11:09 am

Here's a before and after of my Baby Nambu. It took me 20 minutes with Brasso and a soft cloth.
removing gold - Removing Gold plate finish from metal model guns - Page 2 Baby%20Nambu_zpswva9wkqb
Back to top Go down
claymore
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist

Number of posts : 1234
Location / Country : London
Registration date : 2008-09-07

PostSubject: Re: Removing Gold plate finish from metal model guns   removing gold - Removing Gold plate finish from metal model guns - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 12, 2016 5:14 pm

Nice work and only 20 mins! now that is good
Back to top Go down
veektohr

Number of posts : 83
Location / Country : USA
Registration date : 2016-02-18

PostSubject: Re: Removing Gold plate finish from metal model guns   removing gold - Removing Gold plate finish from metal model guns - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 12, 2016 5:39 pm

Like salt in a wound... Wink That looks really great, though. Are you able to blue that surface now, or are you left with the gunmetal/grey. Either way, your Nambu looks fantastic.
Back to top Go down
Fredo

Number of posts : 11
Location / Country : France
Registration date : 2017-03-23

PostSubject: Re: Removing Gold plate finish from metal model guns   removing gold - Removing Gold plate finish from metal model guns - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 23, 2017 4:57 pm

Hello guys.

I'm Fred from France and new to this forum. I'm sorry to reactivate this old thread but I just buy a Kokusai gold finished Colt Python in metal and I was reading this thread as my goal is to erase that gold color.
So I will buy some Brasso but I asked to myself : did someone try to erase the gold color with "Acétone" ?

I will try this and will keep you informed ;-)

Thanks guys.

Fred
Back to top Go down
lampwick
Modelgun Master
Modelgun Master
lampwick

Number of posts : 359
Registration date : 2008-09-11

PostSubject: Re: Removing Gold plate finish from metal model guns   removing gold - Removing Gold plate finish from metal model guns - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 23, 2017 5:01 pm

Hi Fred from France. Welcome to the Forum. Acetone is a very inflammable liquid which should not be used near naked flames or in a confined space. Go with the Brasso, it's the safest and cheapest method.
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

Number of posts : 11075
Location / Country : North Wales
Registration date : 2008-07-20

PostSubject: Re: Removing Gold plate finish from metal model guns   removing gold - Removing Gold plate finish from metal model guns - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 23, 2017 5:14 pm

Hello Fredo, welcome to the Forum.

I don't know if Acetone would work as the gold finish is a thin plated coat, not paint. Abrasive metal polish such as Brasso and Solvol Autosol is very effective at quickly removing the gold plate and polishing the nickel coat surface beneath to a high shine.

Please let us know how you get on  Very Happy

Hobby collector of Replica model guns and Militaria.
also member of Living History Reenactment Groups.
Back to top Go down
https://mp40modelguns.forumotion.net
Fredo

PostSubject: Re: Removing Gold plate finish from metal model guns   removing gold - Removing Gold plate finish from metal model guns - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 23, 2017 5:41 pm

Thank you very much for your "welcome" and for your answers guys.

As I explained in another thread, I will try an Acétone bath on a little hidden part of the gun (certainly the handle) and will see what happens !!!
My dream would be the "Gold" color to disappear during the bath without the use of clothes or something like that :-)

Fred
Back to top Go down
8ace
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
8ace

Number of posts : 2554
Registration date : 2008-08-06

PostSubject: Re: Removing Gold plate finish from metal model guns   removing gold - Removing Gold plate finish from metal model guns - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 24, 2017 8:02 am

Hi,

I can say that the ‘Gold’ finish on Marushin modelguns is definitely not Gold. I have access through my job to various stripping/etching acids used in the semiconductor industry and nothing touches it e.g. Aqua Regia, Potassium Iodide etc.

I have a feeling the coating is Zinc Dichromate Plating.

I have tried many chemicals on the 'Gold' finish and the only thing that works is using fine abrasives to rub it off.

Acetone is a great cleaning solvent to get rid of grease marks but it won’t dissolve the surface coating. If you do use it be careful of the fumes as Lampwick said and your skin as it will dry/crack it. Also it will melt plastic very quickly so keep it off all plastic parts.

Hope this helps

8ace
Back to top Go down
Fredo

PostSubject: Re: Removing Gold plate finish from metal model guns   removing gold - Removing Gold plate finish from metal model guns - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 24, 2017 8:56 am

OK....thank you for the advise. I will give it a try and if it doesn't work I will go for the "Autosol" or "Brasso" route ;-)

Fred
Back to top Go down
Fredo

PostSubject: Re: Removing Gold plate finish from metal model guns   removing gold - Removing Gold plate finish from metal model guns - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 03, 2017 5:49 pm

Well guys...I received my gold plated Kokusai Python 357 !!!

I'm a little bit disappointed with the weight as I expected it to be much heavier :-(

I'm also disappointed with the handgrips which squeeze a little bit !!!

The sad news : the little piece/lever which rotates the cylinder is broken so the cylinder doesn't rotate as it should !

And the cherry on the cake : the Customs opened the package and they forgot to replace a bullet in the box so, I'm the owner of 6 cartridges with only 5 bullets :-(((
Hoping it's not them who broke the piece....

So now the hard work begins : polish the full thing ;-)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Removing Gold plate finish from metal model guns   removing gold - Removing Gold plate finish from metal model guns - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Removing Gold plate finish from metal model guns
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2