MP40's Modelguns Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
MP40's Modelguns Forum

International Forum for Modelgun enthusiasts

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

9mm MGC Cartridges ... How Compatable?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

Number of posts : 11075
Location / Country : North Wales
Registration date : 2008-07-20

9mm MGC Cartridges ... How Compatable? Empty
PostSubject: 9mm MGC Cartridges ... How Compatable?   9mm MGC Cartridges ... How Compatable? Icon_minitimeMon Oct 12, 2009 8:28 pm

Would MGC cartridges branded for :-

M39, Sig P210, Sig P220 be compatable with each other 9mm MGC Cartridges ... How Compatable? Icon_question I've no dimensions to compare directly, but they're all 9mm and their rims and rim grooves look very similar.

Would they be the same overall length I wonder 9mm MGC Cartridges ... How Compatable? Icon_question

Hobby collector of Replica model guns and Militaria.
also member of Living History Reenactment Groups.
Back to top Go down
https://mp40modelguns.forumotion.net
smootik
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
smootik

Number of posts : 1823
Location / Country : Poland
Registration date : 2009-03-03

PostSubject: Re: 9mm MGC Cartridges ... How Compatable?   9mm MGC Cartridges ... How Compatable? Icon_minitimeMon Oct 12, 2009 9:25 pm

I do not know about MGC cartridges, but in real life all three guns are standardized on 9x19 Parabellum ammunition.

Length is often overlooked - I still remember trying to load 9x19 Parabellum in 9x18 Makarov gun, because I only checked caliber. Of course it didn't work (impossible to load magazine), and it took me quite some time to figure it out, as I thought 9mm is just 9mm ;-D
Back to top Go down
8ace
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
8ace

Number of posts : 2554
Location / Country : UK
Registration date : 2008-08-06

PostSubject: Re: 9mm MGC Cartridges ... How Compatable?   9mm MGC Cartridges ... How Compatable? Icon_minitimeTue Oct 13, 2009 8:03 am

In theory the critical firing dimension is from the base of the cartridge to the top of the piston, as far as I know all MGC with the piston system have the same size primer inserts and pistons Question so they all should work with the same det pin length.

The other issues are overall length, the hole size in the front of the round and the shape of the tip.

One way to try is load up a few rounds with fired caps and see if it feeds/ejects then try it for real bom

8ace
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: 9mm MGC Cartridges ... How Compatable?   9mm MGC Cartridges ... How Compatable? Icon_minitimeTue Oct 13, 2009 9:54 am

Thanks for the info' chaps 9mm MGC Cartridges ... How Compatable? Icon_wink

Overall length can vary quite a bit, the MGC Beretta M92 cartridges are significantly longer than P220s for example.
Attempts at cycling them through certain models has the "bullet" tip hitting the base of the det pin for example.

Does anyone out there have M39, P210 and P220 cartridges they wouldn't mind comparing please 9mm MGC Cartridges ... How Compatable? Icon_question

Back to top Go down
smootik
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
smootik

Number of posts : 1823
Location / Country : Poland
Registration date : 2009-03-03

PostSubject: Re: 9mm MGC Cartridges ... How Compatable?   9mm MGC Cartridges ... How Compatable? Icon_minitimeSun Sep 19, 2010 5:12 pm

Cerwyn,

Now you can compare at least two of these:
MGC M39/M76 cartridge, CP-BLK
MGC P210 cartridge, CP-HW

Scale of photos is a bit off, but some of the differences can be read (diameter), others seen (hole for detonator pin)

PS: there is also MGC M39 cartridge, BLK (open) version
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: 9mm MGC Cartridges ... How Compatable?   9mm MGC Cartridges ... How Compatable? Icon_minitimeSun Sep 19, 2010 7:16 pm

Thank you smootik, tables like this will prove extremely useful as data builds up.

Knowing that certain cartridges will perform in more than one modelgun, either with or without modification to the Det.Pin, Chamber and extractor will help to keep these models firing even when the original cartridges are out of circulation.

I'm sure the members here will share their own findings too.

Excellent feature this, I know how much time and effort goes into collating all this info and in producing line drawings. Many thanks for all the effort from all involved 9mm MGC Cartridges ... How Compatable? Icon_biggrin

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 9mm MGC Cartridges ... How Compatable?   9mm MGC Cartridges ... How Compatable? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

9mm MGC Cartridges ... How Compatable?
Page 1 of 1