MP40's Modelguns Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
MP40's Modelguns Forum

International Forum for Modelgun enthusiasts

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

MGC MP40... Which Cartridges are compatable

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
kiwigunner
Modelgun Master
Modelgun Master
kiwigunner

Number of posts : 556
Location / Country : Auckland/New Zealand
Registration date : 2010-03-10

MGC MP40... Which Cartridges are compatable Empty
PostSubject: MGC MP40... Which Cartridges are compatable   MGC MP40... Which Cartridges are compatable Icon_minitimeTue Aug 17, 2010 1:40 pm

Cerwyn, I'd like to take your (and other member's) advice on what is recommended regarding cartridges. I'll have to get a det pin, and don't know what types are currently available.'confused'

I've read on the forum there a a couple of choices. The original MGC cartridges are US$10 each on Francky's website! But that's life!

At some stage later this year I hope to get my NZ Firearms licence endorsed by the Police for what we call a Collectors / Theatrical production licence; I could then modify the MP40 to fire blanks with it - and I've read a bit about the dangers and recommendations on the internet.

But I'm in two minds - part of me is loath to change an original MGC masterpiece.

Last edited by kiwigunner on Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://anzaction.weebly.com/
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

Number of posts : 11075
Location / Country : North Wales
Registration date : 2008-07-20

PostSubject: Re: MGC MP40... Which Cartridges are compatable   MGC MP40... Which Cartridges are compatable Icon_minitimeTue Aug 17, 2010 4:12 pm

MGC MP40... Which Cartridges are compatable Icon_biggrin Thanks for the Perma Blue past info and how to use it, I'll be searching e-Bay for some of that. It certainly looks like its given good results.

I'll move the cartridge discussion over to the appropriate category as it'll be easier to continue and find later...

Hobby collector of Replica model guns and Militaria.
also member of Living History Reenactment Groups.
Back to top Go down
https://mp40modelguns.forumotion.net
DOC
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
DOC

Number of posts : 234
Location / Country : Not so Great Britain
Registration date : 2008-09-07

PostSubject: Re: MGC MP40... Which Cartridges are compatable   MGC MP40... Which Cartridges are compatable Icon_minitimeTue Aug 17, 2010 5:04 pm

Most people use MGC Sig P220 rounds although I`ve also used MGC M92 rounds and KSC M93R rounds

Original MGC MP40 rounds I have also but these would require paper caps to work.

Im also lucky enough to have another MGC MP40 that fires red tip 9mm and I know which one I prefer firing Very Happy

( generally the less cleaning required is best Wink

DOC
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: MGC MP40... Which Cartridges are compatable   MGC MP40... Which Cartridges are compatable Icon_minitimeTue Aug 17, 2010 5:58 pm

MGC's P220 would have been first choice as it's an easy conversion to make. A new detonator pin is essentially all you need.
Mine uses P220, as do my Sterling and UZI.
Unfortunately, supplies have all but dried up since MGCs demise

KSC 9mm Luger carts, used in their M93R pistol are still available and less expensive than most others so I'd look to them if converting for the first time around.
I've tried them in mine, but I think the extractor may need some adjustment as it won't quite clip over the rim cleanly.

The original open type cartridges were intended for paper caps. Long since obsolete, you'll be better off looking at the newer c.p. types.

Back to top Go down
kiwigunner
Modelgun Master
Modelgun Master
kiwigunner

Number of posts : 556
Location / Country : Auckland/New Zealand
Registration date : 2010-03-10

PostSubject: MGC68 changes   MGC MP40... Which Cartridges are compatable Icon_minitimeFri Aug 20, 2010 10:41 am

Thanks for that info guys.

I'll go the Luger 9mm way.....so where to get the det pins?
Shazhib or Francky. Couldn't find a reference to the det pins on Franky's website; though I found the cartridges ok.

The more I see and play with my MGC 68 MP40 the more I seem to "fall in love" with it.....sssh don't tell my partner!

Back to top Go down
http://anzaction.weebly.com/
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: MGC MP40... Which Cartridges are compatable   MGC MP40... Which Cartridges are compatable Icon_minitimeFri Aug 20, 2010 11:18 am

Francky did sell Detonator Pins suitable for the MGC P220 cartridge, have a look at:-

there's a good clear photo of the pin in this article. It'd be worth asking both Francky and Shazhib if these pins are still available.
If stocks are no longer available, I'm sure we can give you all the dimensions you'd need to make one.

The MGC Sterling I have fires both P220 and KSC 9mm using the same Det. Pin without any problems. I mentioned earlier in this thread that my own MGC MP40 didn't seem to like the KSC 9mm, the extractor isn't fitting the groove in the cartridge. It does fire the P220 very well indeed.
Doc and others have successfully used the KSC in their MP40s and I'm guessing that the P220 Detonator Pin works fine with these cartridges

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: MGC MP40... Which Cartridges are compatable   MGC MP40... Which Cartridges are compatable Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

MGC MP40... Which Cartridges are compatable
Page 1 of 1