MP40's Modelguns Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
MP40's Modelguns Forum

International Forum for Modelgun enthusiasts

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Marushin PPK/s stripping

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
JohnnyV
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
JohnnyV

Number of posts : 552
Location / Country : Cambridgeshire UK
Registration date : 2009-08-24

Marushin PPK/s stripping Empty
PostSubject: Marushin PPK/s stripping   Marushin PPK/s stripping Icon_minitimeTue Oct 05, 2010 11:41 pm

Just a quickie:)
Anyone else find the slide hard to remove on the PPK/s? its can be done but does seem very tight to slide forwards off the barrel once pulled back and lifted of the frame !!!
Or is it just me What a Face ?????
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

Number of posts : 11075
Location / Country : North Wales
Registration date : 2008-07-20

PostSubject: Re: Marushin PPK/s stripping   Marushin PPK/s stripping Icon_minitimeWed Oct 06, 2010 10:25 am

Hobby collector of Replica model guns and Militaria.
also member of Living History Reenactment Groups.
Back to top Go down
https://mp40modelguns.forumotion.net
JohnnyV
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
JohnnyV

PostSubject: Re: Marushin PPK/s stripping   Marushin PPK/s stripping Icon_minitimeWed Oct 06, 2010 12:00 pm

Thanks Cerwyn, but thats not the problem, stripping it is easy BUT once trigger gard dropped, slide is back, then slide lifted, the problem starts... all that is left is to move the tilted slide forwards over the end of the barrel, this is the part that is very hard on this model...
I have deact = no problem, Umarex CO2 = no problem, Marushin ppks = way to tight ,as though the slide hole for barrel is too small??
I have had 2 or 3 of these models now and it was tight on the first two (too tight I think!) but the 3rd one is very very tight.

Slide must be tilted up high enough for firing block to clear back of barrel as you slip the slide forwards off the front end of the barrel
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

Number of posts : 11075
Location / Country : North Wales
Registration date : 2008-07-20

PostSubject: Re: Marushin PPK/s stripping   Marushin PPK/s stripping Icon_minitimeWed Oct 06, 2010 12:19 pm

Hopefully one or more Marushin PPK/s owners amongst us can shed some light on this problem John.

It sounds like it's common if you've three that are about the same

Hobby collector of Replica model guns and Militaria.
also member of Living History Reenactment Groups.
Back to top Go down
https://mp40modelguns.forumotion.net
kiwigunner
Modelgun Master
Modelgun Master
kiwigunner

Number of posts : 556
Location / Country : Auckland/New Zealand
Registration date : 2010-03-10

PostSubject: Re: Marushin PPK/s stripping   Marushin PPK/s stripping Icon_minitimeThu Oct 07, 2010 6:34 am

I've got a Marushin PPK and a PPK/s - and an Airsoft GBB and a Kimar Lady K Blank firer.

And like JohhnyV, I concur, and have experienced exactly the same difficulty with Marushin, but not the others.

I've not bothered to work out what the problem might be, though I had considered the diameter of the hole in the slide as the issue - the other possibility being the length of the tip of the receiver being slightly too long.

Both of these may indeed be a factor, but I've suspected fo some time the problem to be a thermal one. New Zealand and the UK having milder climates than Japan, I trust Marushin to have not had this problem in Japan.....but not had the motivation to pursue a solution.

Now that JohnnyV has raised the issue, I am going to warm a small room to about 20 degrees Celsius and leave my PPK modelguns to warm up - see if that makes if difference - and report back!

I'm loathe to use a hair dryer on HW or standard ABS - so a room temperature may prove or disprove my suspicions.
Any other thoughts????
Back to top Go down
http://anzaction.weebly.com/
kiwigunner
Modelgun Master
Modelgun Master
kiwigunner

PostSubject: Re: Marushin PPK/s stripping   Marushin PPK/s stripping Icon_minitimeThu Oct 07, 2010 9:24 am

I spent about an hour tonite warming the small locker room before trying to strip the PPK.
It was very warm to the touch and the room temp was about 23 degrees C.

It didn't solve the problem!! 'Sad'

But I had another play around, and apart from the empty mag locking lever falling out all the time, I did make an interesting discovery. Well two actually!

1) The clearance of the detonator chamber by the slide assembly has a very, very fine tolerance - so that when pulling the slide off the barrel, just as it feels "stuck" you have to give the rear of the slide a slight upwards extra lift, and it come off with a RUSH! (and the empty mag lock lever drops off!!)

1A) After replacing the empty mag lock, the re-assembly is easily done if you carefully watch the clearance of the chamber and lift up the slide a bit more again. We're only talking a fraction of a millimetre here.

2) I noticed, that as the room cooled down (I'd switched off the heater because it was like a sauna in there!) the stripping and re-assembly became more difficult, and felt a definite increase in resistance - and after about 10 minutes the room was back to about 14 degrees C, the whole procedure felt a lot more "stiff". The thermal properties ABS HW plastic???

An NO, I wasn't drinking anything alcoholic and it's NOT my imagination!'No'

MY CONCLUSION:
The MY Marushin PPK is difficult to field strip the slide (so is the MY PPK/s) - at least mine and JohhnyV's are.
That appears to be due to the clearance tolerances, and may also be exacerbated by ambient air temperature.

I'm open to other suggestions, in case I missed something along the way!

But how HOT is it in JAPAN????

Back to top Go down
JohnnyV
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
JohnnyV

PostSubject: Re: Marushin PPK/s stripping   Marushin PPK/s stripping Icon_minitimeThu Oct 07, 2010 9:53 am

I stripped mine last night, then took about 0.5mm at a 45 degree angle off the inside rear bottom edge of the slide barrel hole, now it strips easy:) mode is tiny and cannot be seen from outside, and NEEDS to be done. I think it is a design error, I know that is a bold statement but it should not be as hard to srtip as it is as standard. The basic problem is the slide barrel hole is too "long" / "deep".
Anyway model now works as it should:)

Last edited by JohnnyV on Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:55 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : spelling :()
Back to top Go down
smootik
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
smootik

Number of posts : 1823
Location / Country : Poland
Registration date : 2009-03-03

PostSubject: Re: Marushin PPK/s stripping   Marushin PPK/s stripping Icon_minitimeThu Oct 07, 2010 4:44 pm

JohnnyV - pictures please!

BTW: 14C? in a room? Man, you really are saving on heating ;-)

Good job on thinking of temperature impact on models, I've never thought of it before.
Back to top Go down
kiwigunner
Modelgun Master
Modelgun Master
kiwigunner

PostSubject: Re: Marushin PPK/s stripping   Marushin PPK/s stripping Icon_minitimeSun Oct 10, 2010 11:37 pm

Thanks Smootik.

Excellent job JohnnyV!
I followed your example and it worked for me too!
Here's some photos of what I did - hope it emulates more or less what you did! Thanks.

Marushin PPK/s stripping 2readytoremoveslide

Marushin PPK/s stripping 3before03

Marushin PPK/s stripping 4beforefiling

Marushin PPK/s stripping 5filing

Marushin PPK/s stripping 7filedrim

Marushin PPK/s stripping 1PPKfile

I guess the thermal effect I experienced was that the HW ABS "gives" a little in warmer temperatures, so maybe in a warmer country that "give" is felt as a spring effect??? In colder climates there's no such luck, and removing some ABS makes it easy to disassemble and avoids potential ABS breakage. You can see the signs of fine powder wear on my PPK in the photos.
I must admit a had a reluctance to think that there might be a design problem.
So again, thanks for some fine pioneering work JohhnV!

I wonder if people with METAL model PPK or PPK/s (MGC?) have had any similar issues?

Last edited by kiwigunner on Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:15 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
jim
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
jim

Number of posts : 988
Location / Country : Hong Kong / Sydney, Australia
Registration date : 2008-09-07

PostSubject: Re: Marushin PPK/s stripping   Marushin PPK/s stripping Icon_minitimeMon Oct 11, 2010 8:34 am

I gave up taking out the slides of my Marushin PPKs a long time ago because I just couldn't...so now I'll try again Very Happy ...
Back to top Go down
JohnnyV
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
JohnnyV

PostSubject: Re: Marushin PPK/s stripping   Marushin PPK/s stripping Icon_minitimeMon Oct 11, 2010 8:49 am

Thankyou Kiwigunner for comments, and most of all your excellent pics:) great!!

Jim,
On my 3rd model indeed the slide would not come off!! only way was to tilt slide enough to knock out barrel retaining pin, put slide back on frame, grip end of barrel and pull forward till out of firing chamber, then strip it, this allowed removal with a bit of twisting!!
Back to top Go down
jim
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
jim

Number of posts : 988
Location / Country : Hong Kong / Sydney, Australia
Registration date : 2008-09-07

PostSubject: Re: Marushin PPK/s stripping   Marushin PPK/s stripping Icon_minitimeMon Oct 11, 2010 9:42 am

Thanks Johnny - in fact I can't fire my guns as per the law so it's not essential for me to fieldstrip it for cleaning/maintainence...but still something's missing when I have a gun that I can only hold it on my hand when it's supposed to be strippable...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Marushin PPK/s stripping   Marushin PPK/s stripping Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Marushin PPK/s stripping
Page 1 of 1