MP40's Modelguns Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
MP40's Modelguns Forum

International Forum for Modelgun enthusiasts

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Refurbishing a M2 Paratrooper Carbine

Go down 
+4
JohnnyV
metradio
Ozguns
kiwigunner
8 posters
AuthorMessage
kiwigunner
Modelgun Master
Modelgun Master
kiwigunner

Number of posts : 556
Location / Country : Auckland/New Zealand
Registration date : 2010-03-10

Refurbishing a  M2 Paratrooper Carbine Empty
PostSubject: Refurbishing a M2 Paratrooper Carbine   Refurbishing a  M2 Paratrooper Carbine Icon_minitimeSat Sep 10, 2011 1:46 pm

I guess, given its age (born 1977) and buying a CMC Paratrooper m2 Carbine on the local auction site,I would probably have some things to fix.
As there's -plenty of info on how to re-blue and re-paint modelguns on this forum, I won't bore you all with details so the photos can talk for me.

There were some bits missing, and one repair to the stock already made and the M2 trigger group is missing the interrupter and selector bar/lever - so that's going to be part 3.
This is PART ONE:
rust removed AND re-blued.

PART TWO will be the repainting photos; and PART THREE will be about parts replaced, bought or home made.

ARRIVAL: cheers
[Refurbishing a  M2 Paratrooper Carbine 178295714_full

THE RUSTY BITS: Rolling Eyes
Refurbishing a  M2 Paratrooper Carbine M2missingoiler
(Note the missing oiler from clasp)

Refurbishing a  M2 Paratrooper Carbine M2rustymag

Refurbishing a  M2 Paratrooper Carbine M2rustyband

Refurbishing a  M2 Paratrooper Carbine M2rustylowerband

Refurbishing a  M2 Paratrooper Carbine M2rustytophingecover

PAINT LOSS: Neutral
Refurbishing a  M2 Paratrooper Carbine M2letter01

Refurbishing a  M2 Paratrooper Carbine M2scewedsight

Refurbishing a  M2 Paratrooper Carbine M2detchamber

MISSING PARTS
a) Bayonet fitting
[center]
Refurbishing a  M2 Paratrooper Carbine M2missingbayonetfitting
Refurbishing a  M2 Paratrooper Carbine M2barrelband

b) 9 spring on selector
Refurbishing a  M2 Paratrooper Carbine M2ejectormissing9spring

Refurbishing a  M2 Paratrooper Carbine 9507101954_abasa007

c) extractor spring
Refurbishing a  M2 Paratrooper Carbine Extractorspringm-1carbine-1

d) interrupter
Refurbishing a  M2 Paratrooper Carbine Interupter

e)selector lever/bar
Refurbishing a  M2 Paratrooper Carbine 9507102452_abasa006

As I work through the list I'll update progress, and hope it might assist other Carbine refurbishers! Wink

Today I found time to clean & re-blue a few things:
1) the bolt (sanded below; re-blued at top)

Refurbishing a  M2 Paratrooper Carbine M2boltcleanedblued

2) barrel bands top and bottom - upper stock hinge cover plate and bolt finished
Refurbishing a  M2 Paratrooper Carbine M2re-bluedparts

barrel bands re-installed
Refurbishing a  M2 Paratrooper Carbine M2re-bluedtopband

I'll start painting the folding stock next!

KIWIGUNNER

Refurbishing a  M2 Paratrooper Carbine Kiwie1

Last edited by kiwigunner on Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:57 am; edited 6 times in total (Reason for editing : fix typos & rezise photo, and reinstall photos; update extractor spring photo)
Back to top Go down
http://anzaction.weebly.com/
Ozguns
Modelgun Enthusiast
Modelgun Enthusiast
Ozguns

Number of posts : 333
Location / Country : Perth, Western Australia
Registration date : 2008-08-21

PostSubject: Re: Refurbishing a M2 Paratrooper Carbine   Refurbishing a  M2 Paratrooper Carbine Icon_minitimeSat Sep 10, 2011 2:26 pm

Very nice Kiwi.
I actually don't mind the look of worn guns sometimes, but that bluing you do certainly does look good. Smile
Back to top Go down
metradio
Modelgun Enthusiast
Modelgun Enthusiast
metradio

Number of posts : 68
Location / Country : Slough, Berkshire, UK
Registration date : 2008-09-11

PostSubject: Re: Refurbishing a M2 Paratrooper Carbine   Refurbishing a  M2 Paratrooper Carbine Icon_minitimeSat Sep 10, 2011 7:18 pm

By the looks of things this carbine has been modified to look like a WWII issue M1A1..
After WW11 (or very late in war) M1's were upgraded with the bayonet fitting, later rear sight and later safety catch.
Yours has the later sight and safety catch also it looks like the bayonet fitting has been cut down to just a WW11 barrel band.
If your carbine started life as an M2 the selector switch and spring might have been removed (and the spring lost) to give it the M1 look..

Mike
Back to top Go down
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/HT600E
kiwigunner
Modelgun Master
Modelgun Master
kiwigunner

PostSubject: Re: Refurbishing a M2 Paratrooper Carbine   Refurbishing a  M2 Paratrooper Carbine Icon_minitimeSat Sep 10, 2011 11:21 pm

Mike:
Ah ha, that explains the missing bayonet fitting. scratch
I'm just glad the modifier didn't alter the rear sight (though it is sloppy and removal may have been attempted) and didn't remove the selector switch. At least I might be able to repair it all again.
I've ordered a new barrel bank + bayonet fitting from the US. sunny Getting it on may involve a bit of work as I don't believe the front sight is removable. In which case I think by removing and later replacing the bayonet lug rivets the barrel band can be installed over the barrel first. Question
The hammer is an M2 type but the sear looks like an M1.... but I won't know for sure until I pull the trigger group to pieces.

Ozguns:
I also like the weathered look on some of my guns....particularly the newer models1 and getting the ABS ones to look like aged metal is an art in itself for some members. study
I guess I feel the older metal models need looking after, as they will continue to deteriorate anyway. Sad That alone means lots of work; but I also love to tinker to make things work again (an addiction, I know lol! ) But for me that's part of my love for modelguns Twisted Evil
I'm a sad case! jocolor

Kiwigunner

Back to top Go down
metradio
Modelgun Enthusiast
Modelgun Enthusiast
metradio

Number of posts : 68
Location / Country : Slough, Berkshire, UK
Registration date : 2008-09-11

PostSubject: Re: Refurbishing a M2 Paratrooper Carbine   Refurbishing a  M2 Paratrooper Carbine Icon_minitimeSun Sep 11, 2011 8:59 am

kiwigunner wrote:
Mike:
...I've ordered a new barrel bank + bayonet fitting from the US. sunny Getting it on may involve a bit of work as I don't believe the front sight is removable...

On the real steel M1 carbine the front sight is secured by a lateral fitting pin..
There are a number of inexpensive books on the market written about the M1 family covering both history and technical details..

Mike
Back to top Go down
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/HT600E
kiwigunner
Modelgun Master
Modelgun Master
kiwigunner

PostSubject: Re: Refurbishing a M2 Paratrooper Carbine   Refurbishing a  M2 Paratrooper Carbine Icon_minitimeWed Sep 14, 2011 11:06 am

Hi Metradio: the front sight appears to be part of the barrel casting; a join half-way down the length of the barrel suggests to me that was how the original one was installed, and the internal barrel blocking bar was inserted at the same time, before welding? Question
Maybe someone in the Forum can verify that idea (or not)? Question Question
Anyway the new fitting is due here in about a week or so, ready to be fitted somehow!

Over the last few days the refurbish process is going well, with the bluing 90% complete and the parts I wish to re-paint have been primed with etching primer paint. The black paint goes on in about 10 days when the primer is sufficiently dry.
Here's the photos of work so far completed.

For sanding I used various grit sand-paper & steel wool leaving the surface not totally smooth to allow the paint to adhere better.
I used s Dremmel and wire -brush to get into the small places!

SANDED, PRIMED AND READY TO TOP COAT:

Refurbishing a  M2 Paratrooper Carbine B03stockreadytopaint

Refurbishing a  M2 Paratrooper Carbine Sandedbarrel

Refurbishing a  M2 Paratrooper Carbine B04readytopaintstock

SANDED & RE-BLUED

Refurbishing a  M2 Paratrooper Carbine B02receiverreadytoblue

Refurbishing a  M2 Paratrooper Carbine B02arearsightdisassembled

Refurbishing a  M2 Paratrooper Carbine B02dCMCM1Bolt2

Refurbishing a  M2 Paratrooper Carbine B02breceiversightre-bluedandassembled
THE OPERATING ROD (OR SLIDE) CAME UP QUITE NICELY cheers

Refurbishing a  M2 Paratrooper Carbine B02cslide01

OF COURSE THE DETONATOR PIN WAS A CHALLENGE TO REMOVE - BUT THE SECRET WAS TO USE A SHORT STUBBY SCREWDRIVER INSERTED IN THE CHAMBER MOUTH AFTER USING A CHEMICAL METAL LOOSENER.

Refurbishing a  M2 Paratrooper Carbine 15M2smokechambercoverremoved

AND THE CLEANED AND RE-BLUED PIN READY TO RE-INSTALL
cheers
Refurbishing a  M2 Paratrooper Carbine Detpinfixed

Hopefully my next post will be in a week or so when the primer has dried and the bayonet fitting is here and I can re-install it all and sit and admire the fine craftsmanship of the CMC company.....which may well be ultimately attributable to the Shoei family! Eh Smootik?
(see: https://mp40modelguns.forumotion.net/t1969-shoei )

Kwiwgunner

Last edited by kiwigunner on Wed Sep 14, 2011 11:13 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : added link); edited typos)
Back to top Go down
JohnnyV
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
JohnnyV

Number of posts : 552
Location / Country : Cambridgeshire UK
Registration date : 2009-08-24

PostSubject: Re: Refurbishing a M2 Paratrooper Carbine   Refurbishing a  M2 Paratrooper Carbine Icon_minitimeWed Sep 14, 2011 11:49 am

Hi Kiwigunner

Great stuff!!
I have lots of comments / questions to come Smile but trying to find the time at the moment to take some pics of mine to compare. Mine is different to yours in a few ways??? so will highlight those.
Can you if possible take a picture of the back of the bolt? and inside of the reciver? and describe your ejector?
I will also get you those dimentions:)

Many thanks
john
Back to top Go down
kiwigunner
Modelgun Master
Modelgun Master
kiwigunner

PostSubject: Re: Refurbishing a M2 Paratrooper Carbine   Refurbishing a  M2 Paratrooper Carbine Icon_minitimeWed Sep 14, 2011 11:03 pm

Thanks JohnnyV. I look forward to your posts! cheers

Here's some photos which I hope will provide the information you requested.
Let me know if you need more!

Refurbishing a  M2 Paratrooper Carbine M1boltcu

Refurbishing a  M2 Paratrooper Carbine M1receivercu

Assuming I haven't got the terms "extractor" & "ejector" confused ( ejector to me means the thing that helps un-load the cartridges, and the extractor pulls out the empty cases after firing):
The extractor spring is missing at the moment, but will be pelaced today with one I'll make; the ejector is just basically an "L"-shaped piece of steel that slots into the receiver left side. It is held securely by the trigger group and the wooden stock.

If I've got it wrong then I'll have to redo a few photos!!! lol!

Kiwigunner

Last edited by kiwigunner on Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:17 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : typo correction)
Back to top Go down
kiwigunner
Modelgun Master
Modelgun Master
kiwigunner

PostSubject: Re: Refurbishing a M2 Paratrooper Carbine   Refurbishing a  M2 Paratrooper Carbine Icon_minitimeThu Sep 29, 2011 11:39 am

Refurbishing a  M2 Paratrooper Carbine Carbineoriginal

The weather here in Auckland finally changed from being continuously damp wet and windy to the first fine days of Spring and allowing me to paint the top coats of Satin black on the M1 barrel and folding stock.

A new Oiler was purchased to replace the one missing; the missing extractor spring assembly was re-made https://mp40modelguns.forumotion.net/t3111-cmc-m1-carbine-extractor-repair
I'm still waiting for the ordered M2 parts to arrive from overseas, so decided to put the Carbine back together - I couldn't wait!

Again the photos speak for themselves..... and while some members prefer a "weathered" look to their modelguns, I prefer to get mine looking like new. After 40 years of service I think the older modelguns deserve a new lease on life!
Hope you will enjoy seeing the transformations shown on this post, and the final rejuvenated CMC M1 Carbine! cheers

Maybe it will inspire other members in the Northern hemisphere to do some winter projects? Question
I found the effort worthwhile, and as always, learned heaps about the real guns as well as the replica! study

Refurbishing a  M2 Paratrooper Carbine Stock2

Refurbishing a  M2 Paratrooper Carbine Stockoiler

Refurbishing a  M2 Paratrooper Carbine Closeupaction

[center]Refurbishing a  M2 Paratrooper Carbine Closeupchamber

Refurbishing a  M2 Paratrooper Carbine Closeupbarrel

Refurbishing a  M2 Paratrooper Carbine Carbinefull2

Refurbishing a  M2 Paratrooper Carbine Carbinefolded

When the parts arrive, the M2 Conversion will be the next challenge!

Refurbishing a  M2 Paratrooper Carbine Kiwie1
Ka-kite!

Kiwigunner

Last edited by kiwigunner on Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:37 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : add 3 photos)
Back to top Go down
jim
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
jim

Number of posts : 988
Location / Country : Hong Kong / Sydney, Australia
Registration date : 2008-09-07

PostSubject: Re: Refurbishing a M2 Paratrooper Carbine   Refurbishing a  M2 Paratrooper Carbine Icon_minitimeFri Sep 30, 2011 7:08 am

Simply impressive Kiwi Very Happy !
Back to top Go down
smootik
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
smootik

Number of posts : 1823
Location / Country : Poland
Registration date : 2009-03-03

PostSubject: Re: Refurbishing a M2 Paratrooper Carbine   Refurbishing a  M2 Paratrooper Carbine Icon_minitimeSat Oct 01, 2011 10:12 am

Lovely :-)
Back to top Go down
kiwigunner
Modelgun Master
Modelgun Master
kiwigunner

PostSubject: Re: Refurbishing a M2 Paratrooper Carbine   Refurbishing a  M2 Paratrooper Carbine Icon_minitimeSat Oct 01, 2011 1:21 pm

Thanks Jim & Smootik.

The CMC Models in general are of high quality and worth preserving -now this rare model i believe will last another 40 years maybe Question
Unlike some of us older fellers Exclamation Sad lol!

Kiwigunner

PS Today at a local (real) gun show, I was offered a real M1 Paratrooper WW2 rifle of NZ$2000! affraid
Dammit - there goes my budget again .... if I say 'yes'!!
Back to top Go down
jim
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
jim

PostSubject: Re: Refurbishing a M2 Paratrooper Carbine   Refurbishing a  M2 Paratrooper Carbine Icon_minitimeMon Oct 03, 2011 10:20 am

Judging by the clip I reckon your Paratrooper is the later version with more realistic rotary bolt - earlier verison's straight blow-back bolt & open rounds that might have better firing performance...
Back to top Go down
kiwigunner
Modelgun Master
Modelgun Master
kiwigunner

PostSubject: Re: Refurbishing a M2 Paratrooper Carbine   Refurbishing a  M2 Paratrooper Carbine Icon_minitimeMon Oct 03, 2011 12:31 pm

Funny you should raise that point, Jim. cheers
I've been corresponding Shazhib about that, I was given a real steel M1 Carbine clip - and it won't fit! Sad
My M1 bolt is non-rotating as well, so I guess it's the early version you described.

Here's a photo he sent me of the two types of magazines, and a comparison with mine.
Refurbishing a  M2 Paratrooper Carbine M1mags

I think I can modify the mag well housing with a Dremmel and cut two fine grooves to accept a real mag. I might also have to modify the magazine catch. But it might be useful to be able to accept both magazines.

Today the M1 real bayonet fitting arrived from America, and my next challenge is to find a way of installing it, as I can't see how to remove the barrel (the fore sight is cast as part of the CMC barrel). The diameter is about 1.5mm wider than the CMC barrel diameter too! study

How does your M1 Carbine barrel come apart?

Kiwigunner

Back to top Go down
jim
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
jim

PostSubject: Re: Refurbishing a M2 Paratrooper Carbine   Refurbishing a  M2 Paratrooper Carbine Icon_minitimeMon Oct 03, 2011 6:31 pm

So Kiwi your's actually is the earlier version - my mistake Wink ...

My story: at first I got the later version M1 Carbine supplied with 15rd mag, then later I felt the need of a long mag so I bought one without realising it was the one for the older version (with slot on both sides therefore incompatible) - so I ended up buying another Carbine earlier version (although slightly pricey but in brand-new condition though)...

I've never dealt with the barrel - so silent ...
Back to top Go down
kiwigunner
Modelgun Master
Modelgun Master
kiwigunner

PostSubject: Re: Refurbishing a M2 Paratrooper Carbine   Refurbishing a  M2 Paratrooper Carbine Icon_minitimeWed Oct 05, 2011 5:48 am

Twisted Evil I'll work out something! Twisted Evil

I just "love" M1 Carbines: particularly the Paratrooper version. I love you

Kiwigunner

Back to top Go down
stumpy_ned
Modelgun Enthusiast
Modelgun Enthusiast

Number of posts : 87
Location / Country : UK
Registration date : 2012-04-21

PostSubject: Re: Refurbishing a M2 Paratrooper Carbine   Refurbishing a  M2 Paratrooper Carbine Icon_minitimeSun Feb 17, 2013 10:58 pm

When you sanded down the receiver, did you leave the insides or did you sand only the immediate internal areas you could get to? I've completely stripped my CMC M1 Carbine down and have almost finished sanding most surface areas but not sure if it's worth while trying to sand the internal areas.
Back to top Go down
kiwigunner
Modelgun Master
Modelgun Master
kiwigunner

PostSubject: Re: Refurbishing a M2 Paratrooper Carbine   Refurbishing a  M2 Paratrooper Carbine Icon_minitimeTue Feb 19, 2013 1:19 am

Hiya Stumpy-ned,

I stripped the whole thing down and clean every individual part; most internals did not need sanding as the bluing was in excellent condition. The chamber area was corroded, but I clean and sanded and re-blued that area.
I am still making the parts to make it a fully functional M2 carbine replica; fiddly job that is planned for this NZ winter.

I painted the barrel, but am thinking of removing the paint and bluing it instead.

Good luck with your project. Post some photos when you can!

Kiwigunner

Back to top Go down
stumpy_ned
Modelgun Enthusiast
Modelgun Enthusiast

PostSubject: Re: Refurbishing a M2 Paratrooper Carbine   Refurbishing a  M2 Paratrooper Carbine Icon_minitimeTue Feb 19, 2013 10:57 am

The resprayed barrel looks quite good. I can't see any difference in colour between the resprayed barrel and the other blued parts. What colour spray did you use for the barrel? And did you use a particular brand of cold bluing?
Back to top Go down
kiwigunner
Modelgun Master
Modelgun Master
kiwigunner

PostSubject: Re: Refurbishing a M2 Paratrooper Carbine   Refurbishing a  M2 Paratrooper Carbine Icon_minitimeTue Feb 19, 2013 11:49 pm

I used Birchwood Casey Blue paste for bluing - several applications with a wash in Meths in between applications;
painted using a black semi-gloss (satin) spray paint after sanding and priming with a grey metal primer paint.

Will probably strip the paint on the barrel and blue it with the paste sometime this winter.

Kiwigunner
Back to top Go down
stumpy_ned
Modelgun Enthusiast
Modelgun Enthusiast

PostSubject: Re: Refurbishing a M2 Paratrooper Carbine   Refurbishing a  M2 Paratrooper Carbine Icon_minitimeTue Feb 26, 2013 8:23 pm

Me again. Did you do anything with your M1 butt plate? Mine is pretty mancky but can't seem to find out what colour it should be. I'm in two minds to either remove existing colour and just respray black or cold blue it with some left over Birchwood.
Back to top Go down
kiwigunner
Modelgun Master
Modelgun Master
kiwigunner

PostSubject: Re: Refurbishing a M2 Paratrooper Carbine   Refurbishing a  M2 Paratrooper Carbine Icon_minitimeTue Feb 26, 2013 9:43 pm

I carefully sanded, and sprayed with a grey primer paint then gave it 3-4 coats of satin black paint. Seems to work ok and handle use. sunny

kiwigunner

Back to top Go down
kramstaar
kramstaar

Number of posts : 10
Location / Country : Australia
Registration date : 2013-02-16

PostSubject: Re: Refurbishing a M2 Paratrooper Carbine   Refurbishing a  M2 Paratrooper Carbine Icon_minitimeWed Feb 27, 2013 3:06 am

Absolutely riveting work and attention to detail Kiwi.

Many thanks for sharing mate..

Highest regards

MARK
Back to top Go down
kiwigunner
Modelgun Master
Modelgun Master
kiwigunner

PostSubject: Re: Refurbishing a M2 Paratrooper Carbine   Refurbishing a  M2 Paratrooper Carbine Icon_minitimeWed Feb 27, 2013 3:56 am

Thanks Mark; I really do believe these replicas are worth the effort to maintain - they are becoming harder to find in ANY condition so if I manage to get any locally or overseas, I look after 'em!
Lots of fun too - ,and I learn heaps all the time - and this Forum is the greatest for sharing such things.

Cheers.
Kiwigunner
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Refurbishing a M2 Paratrooper Carbine   Refurbishing a  M2 Paratrooper Carbine Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Refurbishing a M2 Paratrooper Carbine
Page 1 of 1