MP40's Modelguns Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
MP40's Modelguns Forum

International Forum for Modelgun enthusiasts

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

ssroom MP40 blank firer

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
pitfighter
Modelgun Master
Modelgun Master
pitfighter

Number of posts : 620
Location / Country : Hollywood, California
Registration date : 2008-09-07

ssroom MP40 blank firer Empty
PostSubject: ssroom MP40 blank firer   ssroom MP40 blank firer Icon_minitimeSun Oct 09, 2011 7:22 am

I finally test-fired my SSRoom MP40 blank firer tonight.

I had had some issues sourcing blanks and a spare mag, my set-up came with no mag.

After being a bit worried because on inspection the mouth of the mag housing was quite rough and seemed a bit poorly finished; however when inserted, the mag actually fitted tightly and securely - I did put it in backward twice after that, have to relearn that trick. For those that don't know - this SMG is legal because of the firing mechanism, the mag is inserted back to front and the blank actually discharges rearward, the gases being redirected down the barrel.

It emptied the mag very quickly, after watching the video made by Chuck Ducastel on youtube I had expected it to chug through RPM's like an old tractor, but this one fired on a par with the PPSH in his video, very, quickly, three rounds sounding like one. It was getting dark and the muzzle flash was very large.

I didn't fire too many mags, but, enough to be impressed that there wasn't a single FTF (I loaded 20 rounds at a time).

I am really a fan of this set-up.

* On the subject of blank-firers - I also picked up a boxed 9mm pak ASI on this purchase - which I have re-traded, it was beyond ugly, and would never work in one of my films, sorry if there are any fans out there I'm offending, I couldn't like this one.

With the Erma EMP (real on a fake receiver)
ssroom MP40 blank firer 2011-10-08231049
ssroom MP40 blank firer 2011-10-08231105
ssroom MP40 blank firer 2011-10-08231206
This is next to a real MP40 on a fake receiver, interesting they are both 42.
ssroom MP40 blank firer 2011-10-08231239
With the the MP44 (real on a Shoei receiver) and FG 42 (Shoei)
ssroom MP40 blank firer 2011-09-28214052
Back to top Go down
jim
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
jim

Number of posts : 988
Location / Country : Hong Kong / Sydney, Australia

PostSubject: Re: ssroom MP40 blank firer   ssroom MP40 blank firer Icon_minitimeMon Oct 10, 2011 4:04 am

Nice guns & pics Jesse Very Happy - but will there be problems for future SSRoom blank supplies... Question They use their own 9.3mm ...

Then for ASI - it already look heaps better than that Blow Crazy MP5K cheap clone pale
Back to top Go down
pitfighter
Modelgun Master
Modelgun Master
pitfighter

PostSubject: Re: ssroom MP40 blank firer   ssroom MP40 blank firer Icon_minitimeMon Oct 10, 2011 4:37 am

No problem Jim, there are three long term manufacturers of the blanks here in the US.

I did read the dread and gloom reports on the various forums, too, usually by people who would never spend $2700 on a blank gun anyway. I love the internet, and there is some great info. to be had, but it is often mixed up with huge amounts of disinformation, the SSRoom MP40 is a victim of this phenomenon.

SSRoom was bought out by NJsekula who is still producing the MP40 and selling blanks, and gearing up to produce and sell the Thompson BFONG as well.
Chuck Ducastle who designed and started the project is still around, and helpful, too.
http://www.njsekela.com/OSCommerce/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=392&osCsid=abb45e1bd0209971fb7b754fe4a38ce5

Atlantic wall are making the blanks, as is Joe Swanson, they are simply 5.56 blanks trimmed and truncated. They're good value for money, cheaper than PAK or PA blanks, not as cheap as German .308 or Russian AK blanks but as movie blanks go, great value, we're paying a $1 a round for some calibers.
http://www.atlanticwallblanks.com/
http://www.joeswansonsmotionpictureblanks.com/

Robb at Atlantic wall is super helpful, and is doing a lot of movie blanks, now.

There is not a problem buying them and shouldn't be, ever, period.

Jim, you think I'd spend that kind of money without doing some research? lol.

I really want the BFONG Thompson, but I think a Thompson may be my first class three purchase, I want a 1921 curio and relic status SMG, and am hovering waiting for one for less than $10K, the economy is on my side.

Jesse.
Back to top Go down
jim
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
jim

PostSubject: Re: ssroom MP40 blank firer   ssroom MP40 blank firer Icon_minitimeMon Oct 10, 2011 5:23 pm

I will die for it even if I won't have any ammo/blank for it (interesting to have a "different" backward firing mechanism blank firer just for collection)- considering how tough the local law that me & many others have to live with nowadays Wink (my dummies in similar price range)...and somehow you might be able make blanks yourself especially something obsolete...
Back to top Go down
jim
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
jim

PostSubject: Re: ssroom MP40 blank firer   ssroom MP40 blank firer Icon_minitimeMon Oct 10, 2011 5:28 pm

Also - any dimensional difference between Shoei & real steel uppers Question
Back to top Go down
pitfighter
Modelgun Master
Modelgun Master
pitfighter

PostSubject: Re: ssroom MP40 blank firer   ssroom MP40 blank firer Icon_minitimeMon Oct 10, 2011 10:46 pm

Jim - I do not have the real steel MP44 upper receiver to compare the Shoei to, but there doesn't appear to have been any work done to either the Shoei upper or the real lower to make them fit together. But, I would imagine the bolt dimensions and internal dimensions are different - like the MGC MP40; you should not be able to put real internals inside a replica receiver - that is my understanding, anyway.
I am not going to buy the real MP44 internals - which are available, so there is no concern legally about intent to manufacture, etc.

I am now looking for a dummy MP35.
Perhaps a PPSH semi, too, as they are CA legal - there is a WW2 era 9mm conversion kit on one of the boards, that allows you to use MP40 magazines, that would be great in my collection.

Got half an MP41, kit, but they were really just police weapons, not really my thing - see the pic of the barrel, it's like an MP40 without the resting bar, or mounting nut.

PS - Oh the comment, about folks not spending $2500 on blank guns was not meant as a derisive remark, more, in alluding to the fact that they were discussing something they may well not have researched very thoroughly.

JJ
ssroom MP40 blank firer 2011-10-08163405

I have a Top M60 airsoft for anyone wanting to trade PPSH or MP28, MP35, Bergmann dummies/replicas.
Back to top Go down
jim
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
jim

PostSubject: Re: ssroom MP40 blank firer   ssroom MP40 blank firer Icon_minitimeWed Oct 12, 2011 5:52 am

pitfighter wrote:
Perhaps a PPSH semi, too, as they are CA legal...

Will look strange for movies - as these become closed bolt weapon as well as the CA legal barrel length...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: ssroom MP40 blank firer   ssroom MP40 blank firer Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

ssroom MP40 blank firer
Page 1 of 1