MP40's Modelguns Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
MP40's Modelguns Forum

International Forum for Modelgun enthusiasts

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Re-Finish Zinc Parts [Black]???

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
richie328

Number of posts : 70
Location / Country : Western NY, USA
Registration date : 2013-01-23

Re-Finish Zinc Parts [Black]??? Empty
PostSubject: Re-Finish Zinc Parts [Black]???   Re-Finish Zinc Parts [Black]??? Icon_minitimeWed Mar 13, 2013 11:20 pm

I have several modelguns which have worn finishes on the Zinc parts.

What did MGC/Nakata/etc use to put the black finish on the parts originally??? Is it Parkerized, anodized, or something else???

I've tried Brownell's Gun-Kote and even after baking it still chips/scratches... Sad
Back to top Go down
Dronne
Modelgun Enthusiast
Modelgun Enthusiast
Dronne

Number of posts : 215
Location / Country : France Paris
Registration date : 2012-01-05

PostSubject: Re: Re-Finish Zinc Parts [Black]???   Re-Finish Zinc Parts [Black]??? Icon_minitimeThu Mar 14, 2013 7:52 am

Hi richie328

You can use chemical liquid blueing composition like Birchwood Aluminium Black.
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

Number of posts : 11076
Location / Country : North Wales
Registration date : 2008-07-20

PostSubject: Re: Re-Finish Zinc Parts [Black]???   Re-Finish Zinc Parts [Black]??? Icon_minitimeThu Mar 14, 2013 10:19 am

Hi richie

I've used Birchwood Casey Aluminium Black to restore Zinc models with good results. You might find this useful: https://mp40modelguns.forumotion.net/t2824-marushin-uzi-restoring-finish

There's a Japanese made liquid available too called "Indie Black" which also gives great results.

Hobby collector of Replica model guns and Militaria.
also member of Living History Reenactment Groups.
Back to top Go down
https://mp40modelguns.forumotion.net
richie328

PostSubject: Re: Re-Finish Zinc Parts [Black]???   Re-Finish Zinc Parts [Black]??? Icon_minitimeThu Mar 14, 2013 1:42 pm

Thank you, Dronne & Cerwyn! I will give the Birchwood Casey Aluminium Black a try! Wink
Back to top Go down
8ace
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
8ace

Number of posts : 2555
Location / Country : UK
Registration date : 2008-08-06

PostSubject: Re: Re-Finish Zinc Parts [Black]???   Re-Finish Zinc Parts [Black]??? Icon_minitimeFri Mar 15, 2013 10:44 am

I got one of these a year or so ago which gives a great hardwearing coating.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Craftsman-Complete-Portable-Powder-Coating-System-SAVE-100-NO-COMPRESSOR-/111026720097?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19d9b54d61

The only problem is due to the powder coating process not used for general firearm coatings it’s impossible to get a gun blue colour ,but different types of blacks are many.

8ace
Back to top Go down
stumpy_ned
Modelgun Enthusiast
Modelgun Enthusiast

Number of posts : 87
Registration date : 2012-04-21

PostSubject: Re: Re-Finish Zinc Parts [Black]???   Re-Finish Zinc Parts [Black]??? Icon_minitimeFri Mar 15, 2013 11:33 am

I like the look of that powder coater.

Want one!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1uUfOJfCMjw
Back to top Go down
richie328

PostSubject: Re: Re-Finish Zinc Parts [Black]???   Re-Finish Zinc Parts [Black]??? Icon_minitimeFri Mar 15, 2013 2:02 pm

Powder coating a modelgun is an interesting idea...Generally speaking, I do not like powder coating because it does not hold up to corrosion...I could go outside right now and take pictures of my trailer hitch/receiver to show how poorly powder coating stands up to water corrosion [rust]. I've had siderails rust completely through but the powder coat still looks like new...

That said, a modelgun won't be exposed to the elements like a car/truck is...

A nice slick shiny black finish on the Zinc or steel parts would look pretty nice...

Does it fill in any imperfections in the base metal??? Like casting bubbles or rust/corrosion pits???
Back to top Go down
8ace
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
8ace

Number of posts : 2555
Registration date : 2008-08-06

PostSubject: Re: Re-Finish Zinc Parts [Black]???   Re-Finish Zinc Parts [Black]??? Icon_minitimeSat Mar 16, 2013 9:25 am

There are a couple of issues with powder coating which you don't get with paint.

1. It changes the thickness of the part and could stop things fitting back together
2. Because you have to cure it at 200℃ you have to make sure what your coating doesn't melt
3. Due to the cure temp the part has to be clean as dirt/rust can outgas causing bubbles
4. You need an oven big enough to cure the parts in
5. Most of the good powder suppliers are in the US so shipping elsewhere is costly

Yes it will fill some imperfections and you can change the thickness but how much you apply keepingin mind that to little won't cover properly and to much it will run.

It's much harder wearing than anything i've ever painted, although that could be due to i'm no good at painting

There are a couple of different types of powdercoat (polyester, epoxy, polyurethane) which are used for internal/external applications.

Even with all of the issues it's my first choice for coating.

8ace
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Re-Finish Zinc Parts [Black]???   Re-Finish Zinc Parts [Black]??? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Re-Finish Zinc Parts [Black]???
Page 1 of 1