MP40's Modelguns Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
MP40's Modelguns Forum

International Forum for Modelgun enthusiasts

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Black Blued finish on ABS

Go down 
+2
Cerwyn
cosmitron
6 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
cosmitron
Modelgun Enthusiast
Modelgun Enthusiast
cosmitron

Number of posts : 175
Location / Country : Germany
Registration date : 2013-08-30

Black Blued finish on ABS Empty
PostSubject: Black Blued finish on ABS   Black Blued finish on ABS Icon_minitimeFri Sep 06, 2013 10:57 am

Hi! and thanks for existing.
I've been reading a lot about painting ABS, bluing finish on metal material, but didn't find anything on painting or mimicking the black blued finish of revolvers like the Colt Python.
(hopefully) I'm about to receive a Marushin S&W 586 ABS HW kit, and I have no clue how to paint it the way I want it to be in the end.
Do you guys ever tried?
Back to top Go down
cosmitron
Modelgun Enthusiast
Modelgun Enthusiast
cosmitron

PostSubject: Re: Black Blued finish on ABS   Black Blued finish on ABS Icon_minitimeSat Sep 07, 2013 8:27 am

after some serious time spent on google I finally found something interesting:
http://www.hzbros.jp/product_info.php/products_id/3119

Any experience with that?
Do you know where I can order this? Smile
Back to top Go down
cosmitron
Modelgun Enthusiast
Modelgun Enthusiast
cosmitron

PostSubject: Re: Black Blued finish on ABS   Black Blued finish on ABS Icon_minitimeSun Sep 15, 2013 8:42 am

Ok. I guess nobody tried that before.
I've spent more time googling and found some incomplete tutorial about how to polish ABS plastic.
Belgom plastic polish for car parts seems to be very popular. But I can't find any relevant picture or process so far.
There's also some interesting process with graphite products. But then again, I'm yet to see relevant pictures.

Need your experience guys. Smile
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

Number of posts : 11075
Location / Country : North Wales
Registration date : 2008-07-20

PostSubject: Re: Black Blued finish on ABS   Black Blued finish on ABS Icon_minitimeMon Sep 16, 2013 9:26 am

Hi cosmitron,

While it is possible to achieve Blued or Black finish on steel, zinc and some HWABS models, I'm not 100% sure if the same can be done on ABS.
The CAROM fluid you've seen might be for treating steel or zinc, possibly forum member shazhib might be able to clarify that for you.

Have a look at http://www.hartford.co.jp/diy/blue.htm for detailed information on bluing HWABS. This could be worth trying on ABS but as ABS does not contain metal particles the process may not work.

If a good blued effect is achieved, please note that you'll need to coat the model with clear laquer to stop it wearing away during handling of the model.

I hope this helps Very Happy 

Hobby collector of Replica model guns and Militaria.
also member of Living History Reenactment Groups.
Back to top Go down
https://mp40modelguns.forumotion.net
cosmitron
Modelgun Enthusiast
Modelgun Enthusiast
cosmitron

PostSubject: Re: Black Blued finish on ABS   Black Blued finish on ABS Icon_minitimeMon Sep 16, 2013 9:35 am

Thanks for your input Cerwyn! It just matches my plans as I just received my model kit. Looks like it's HWABS. Can't wait to try. (and to learn Japanese language Very Happy)
Back to top Go down
cosmitron
Modelgun Enthusiast
Modelgun Enthusiast
cosmitron

PostSubject: Re: Black Blued finish on ABS   Black Blued finish on ABS Icon_minitimeThu Sep 26, 2013 8:01 am

OK! My next Model kit is in Berlin (customs again) It's an Hartford S&W M19 so hopefully, I will be able to do the bluing as showed in the link.
Meanwhile I'd like to share this method:
http://www.airsoftech.com/d1/27_bronzage/bronzage.htm
It's in french.
Basically you can use some black markers which have some copper in the ink on PLASTIC models (not sure this would work with mat ABS or HWABS) slightly buff it with silicon grease and the red to blue stuff would appear soon.
The trick is not permanent though.
Back to top Go down
cosmitron
Modelgun Enthusiast
Modelgun Enthusiast
cosmitron

PostSubject: Re: Black Blued finish on ABS   Black Blued finish on ABS Icon_minitimeWed Aug 05, 2015 10:52 pm

Alright guys! After a year or so, I finally got the chance to try the marker/silicon grease and I can say now it's working pretty well on ABS!
I used Steadler Lumocolor markers. The paper test showed this marker had this red tint as opposed to the other markers which would stay black/mat.
The tricky part is to stay as clean as possible with the marker's lines, but once it's done, the ABS will have this red-ish reflective tone. Once dried, I used the silicon grease and rubbed 3 times. First time to spread the grease that dries pretty fast, second time makes it even and the third makes it shiny and fakes the metal material. The silicon also changes the marker red tone for blue/yellow and that's exactly what I came for.

Some pics of the result:
Black Blued finish on ABS Tumblr_nsmsfaJFUc1rpidqno1_1280
Black Blued finish on ABS Tumblr_nsmsfaJFUc1rpidqno2_1280
Black Blued finish on ABS Tumblr_nsmsfaJFUc1rpidqno4_1280
You can see the difference between the painted metal and the marker bluing. The barrel is more successful than the rest where you clearly see the markers lines. After some silicon grease rubbing they give some brushed metal feel to the ABS. Next time, I'll try with a larger marker and to be cleaner too!
I'm also planning to get some Lumocolor refill ink instead of using the markers and to tint the gun using cotton instead.
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: Black Blued finish on ABS   Black Blued finish on ABS Icon_minitimeThu Aug 06, 2015 9:40 am

Very Happy I like THAT  Exclamation That finish looks GREAT  Very Happy

How durable is it, does it stay fast on the ABS or rub off during handling Question 

If it's durable I'd try it myself Smile Smile  

Back to top Go down
cosmitron
Modelgun Enthusiast
Modelgun Enthusiast
cosmitron

PostSubject: Re: Black Blued finish on ABS   Black Blued finish on ABS Icon_minitimeThu Aug 06, 2015 10:24 am

Well I can't really tell how long it will last yet, but it feels pretty durable. No fingerprints and stuff after I played with the gun a bit. The good thing is you can still add silicon grease at any time and keep it shiny!
If you wanna try I still wanna recommend using the ink refill instead of the markers to leave no marker lines and avoid missing spots.
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: Black Blued finish on ABS   Black Blued finish on ABS Icon_minitimeThu Aug 06, 2015 10:31 am

Thanks very much  Wink, That's another modelgun project added to my list  Very Happy

Back to top Go down
lampwick
Modelgun Master
Modelgun Master
lampwick

Number of posts : 359
Location / Country : UK
Registration date : 2008-09-11

PostSubject: Re: Black Blued finish on ABS   Black Blued finish on ABS Icon_minitimeThu Aug 06, 2015 10:46 am

It appears to me that you would get the same effect by using an ordinary black or blue marker pen.
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: Black Blued finish on ABS   Black Blued finish on ABS Icon_minitimeThu Aug 06, 2015 10:51 am

lampwick wrote:
It appears to me that you would get the same effect by using an ordinary black or blue marker pen.

Quite likely, but would the Ink stay on the ABS during handling?

Back to top Go down
JatiMatic
JatiMatic

Number of posts : 84
Registration date : 2013-07-16

PostSubject: Re: Black Blued finish on ABS   Black Blued finish on ABS Icon_minitimeThu Aug 06, 2015 2:53 pm

Nice job; those little details make the difference.

Jati
Back to top Go down
smootik
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
smootik

Number of posts : 1823
Location / Country : Poland
Registration date : 2009-03-03

PostSubject: Re: Black Blued finish on ABS   Black Blued finish on ABS Icon_minitimeThu Aug 06, 2015 4:35 pm

Very interesting effect!
Thank you for trying it out and sharing :-)
Back to top Go down
cosmitron
Modelgun Enthusiast
Modelgun Enthusiast
cosmitron

PostSubject: Re: Black Blued finish on ABS   Black Blued finish on ABS Icon_minitimeThu Aug 06, 2015 4:47 pm

lampwick wrote:
Black markers that have this copper/red tint are pretty ordinary. But hey! I didn't try with the mat black or blue markers so I can't tell how it would work.
Back to top Go down
pedal2metal
pedal2metal

Number of posts : 53
Location / Country : PA, USA
Registration date : 2015-07-01

PostSubject: Re: Black Blued finish on ABS   Black Blued finish on ABS Icon_minitimeThu Aug 06, 2015 9:34 pm

Looks awesome! Nice photos, by the way! (I still want a real Model 29... someday!)
Back to top Go down
cosmitron
Modelgun Enthusiast
Modelgun Enthusiast
cosmitron

PostSubject: Re: Black Blued finish on ABS   Black Blued finish on ABS Icon_minitimeFri Aug 07, 2015 10:01 am

Thanks! I just ordered some lumocolor ink so I can try a slightly different method for the next one. Smile
Back to top Go down
cosmitron
Modelgun Enthusiast
Modelgun Enthusiast
cosmitron

PostSubject: Re: Black Blued finish on ABS   Black Blued finish on ABS Icon_minitimeWed Aug 12, 2015 11:34 pm

Since I'm about to receive my ink I decided to redo the finish on my M19. First thing I learned about unfinishing stuff here was AUTOSOL. Learnt my lesson! This product is amazing and makes my life so easier. Anyways, I was surprised about how the finish lasted but also how it's still easy to rub it off with the proper polish. Stay tune for the next experiment.
Back to top Go down
cosmitron
Modelgun Enthusiast
Modelgun Enthusiast
cosmitron

PostSubject: Re: Black Blued finish on ABS   Black Blued finish on ABS Icon_minitimeThu Aug 13, 2015 10:27 pm

While I was looking for cotton pads to clean up the surface of my M19 before the fake bluing treatment, I've found a black Sharpie marker, very large one. Since the Sharpie has the exact same red reflection as the Lumocolor I tried to use it on the M19 with a twist to my previous technique. To avoid the marker "lines" I just sweep and spread the ink before it dries with the cotton. Worst case if the ink dries I just add some marker ink again and sweep again. Works just fine! Showing pictures of the result soon. Smile
Back to top Go down
cosmitron
Modelgun Enthusiast
Modelgun Enthusiast
cosmitron

PostSubject: Re: Black Blued finish on ABS   Black Blued finish on ABS Icon_minitimeThu Aug 13, 2015 11:18 pm

Here's the result:
Black Blued finish on ABS Tumblr_nsmsfaJFUc1rpidqno5_r1_1280
Black Blued finish on ABS Tumblr_nsmsfaJFUc1rpidqno7_r1_1280
I got a smoother finish, still metallic, and somewhat less shiny.

And for the comparison:
Black Blued finish on ABS Tumblr_nsmsfaJFUc1rpidqno8_r1_1280
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: Black Blued finish on ABS   Black Blued finish on ABS Icon_minitimeFri Aug 14, 2015 1:40 pm

Now that's a lovely looking finish  Very Happy I am really tempted to try that myself 

Back to top Go down
cosmitron
Modelgun Enthusiast
Modelgun Enthusiast
cosmitron

PostSubject: Re: Black Blued finish on ABS   Black Blued finish on ABS Icon_minitimeFri Aug 14, 2015 2:35 pm

Try it! It's totally reversible (if you have Autosol). I did another one this morning in like 20 minutes before going to work!
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: Black Blued finish on ABS   Black Blued finish on ABS Icon_minitimeFri Aug 14, 2015 6:08 pm

Are you still applying 3 coats of Silicone Grease after the Ink dries?

Which silicone grease would you use please as there are several thicknesses on the market ?

Thanks very much  Very Happy

Back to top Go down
cosmitron
Modelgun Enthusiast
Modelgun Enthusiast
cosmitron

PostSubject: Re: Black Blued finish on ABS   Black Blued finish on ABS Icon_minitimeFri Aug 14, 2015 8:47 pm

One coat is enough (I start with drops on the ABS ). But the rubbing part does the deal. Too much rubbing takes the grease away, indeed, and the ABS would turn red again so basically I divided the grease rubbing in 3 steps. Spread the drops of grease with a piece of cloth, until all the surface is darkened, and then use a piece of cotton to smooth out the whole surface, and once it's a bit dried just rub delicately the whole thing with a clean cloth.
I didn't have any choice about the silicon grease and there's no info (or couldn't find it) about the thickness of the one I bought.
But maybe you could tell me:
http://www.liqui-moly.de/liquimoly/produktdb.nsf/id/en_3312.html?Opendocument&land=DE
Back to top Go down
cosmitron
Modelgun Enthusiast
Modelgun Enthusiast
cosmitron

PostSubject: Re: Black Blued finish on ABS   Black Blued finish on ABS Icon_minitimeFri Aug 14, 2015 11:36 pm

Black Blued finish on ABS Tumblr_nt3extRQkF1rpidqno3_1280
Black Blued finish on ABS Tumblr_nt3extRQkF1rpidqno5_1280
Black Blued finish on ABS Tumblr_nt3extRQkF1rpidqno4_1280
Black Blued finish on ABS Tumblr_nt3extRQkF1rpidqno2_1280
Black Blued finish on ABS Tumblr_nt3extRQkF1rpidqno1_1280
More Sharpie/Grease treatment. Worked really nicely on the Automag since the surface is smoother than on the M586.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Black Blued finish on ABS   Black Blued finish on ABS Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Black Blued finish on ABS
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next