MP40's Modelguns Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
MP40's Modelguns Forum

International Forum for Modelgun enthusiasts

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

FN Minimi old spec deactivation .

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
phobus
Modelgun Master
Modelgun Master
phobus

Number of posts : 275
Location / Country : Leeds
Registration date : 2008-10-21

FN Minimi old spec deactivation . Empty
PostSubject: FN Minimi old spec deactivation .   FN Minimi old spec deactivation . Icon_minitimeTue Nov 19, 2013 5:33 pm

Anyone got a spare £6495 laying around they don,t want ?

Yeah me neither but we can dream ....

http://www.cold-war-collectables.co.uk/deactivated-firearms/fn-minimi/

FN Minimi old spec deactivation . 2740960407 

Carl.
Back to top Go down
pitfighter
Modelgun Master
Modelgun Master
pitfighter

Number of posts : 616
Location / Country : Hollywood, California
Registration date : 2008-09-07

PostSubject: Re: FN Minimi old spec deactivation .   FN Minimi old spec deactivation . Icon_minitimeWed Nov 20, 2013 6:55 am

Fascinating - are there really collectors who spend that much on a deact in the UK?

It just seems non-sensical.

There is a company that makes semi auto's here for a comparable price, which I think is wishful, but makes some sort of sense - http://www.machinegunarmory.com/civilian_firearms.html

No slur on Britain at all, I am an ex-pat - but just wondering about the collecting community there - curiosity really.

I just imagine the market for that SAW is quite rarified, no?

A matching MP38 - maybe - it's something extraordinary in terms of numbers produced and rarity, what war it was used in, who used it and will only go up in price, but a mass produced squad automatic weapon?  Or is the price to do with the old-spec status?
Back to top Go down
phobus
Modelgun Master
Modelgun Master
phobus

PostSubject: Re: FN Minimi old spec deactivation .   FN Minimi old spec deactivation . Icon_minitimeWed Nov 20, 2013 11:14 am

Hi Pitfighter ,

People do spend big money on deactivated items in the UK . We have little choice otherwise .

The SAW is the price it is because it is extremely rare in UK plus the old spec increases desirability over a completely welded up piece which would also be v expensive anyway .

Recently I have seen FA MAS - £3200 , Steyr Aug - £3000 , M4A1 - £3800 , Ruger M700 Marine sniper - £2000 .

These pretty much exclude most private buyers and may well end up going to film armourers / theatre or museums .

Pistols are no exception and you can easily pay £1000 for the likes of a recent Sig , HK , Walther .

I myself have my eye on a Sig P226 copy by Noriconia at a more sensible £650 for Christmas !!

Carl:santa: 
Back to top Go down
Dronne
Modelgun Enthusiast
Modelgun Enthusiast
Dronne

Number of posts : 215
Location / Country : France Paris
Registration date : 2012-01-05

PostSubject: Re: FN Minimi old spec deactivation .   FN Minimi old spec deactivation . Icon_minitimeWed Nov 20, 2013 12:13 pm

phobus wrote:

Recently I have seen FA MAS - £3200
Hi,
Wow! £3200??? In France a deactivated FAMAS cost about £450!!
Back to top Go down
phobus
Modelgun Master
Modelgun Master
phobus

PostSubject: Re: FN Minimi old spec deactivation .   FN Minimi old spec deactivation . Icon_minitimeWed Nov 20, 2013 12:36 pm

Wow - good price ?

Can you send one over for me Dronne ??Laughing 

Is that welded up or with working action ?

I know deactivated specs vary from country to country . For instance Worldwidearms over here lists the Famas at £1600 .

Not cheap and thats for a paperweight .

There are lengthy discussions on other UK sites about the viability of buying direct from other European countries at huge reductions over UK prices and likely to older specifications , then importing privately.

Carl

Back to top Go down
Dronne
Modelgun Enthusiast
Modelgun Enthusiast
Dronne

PostSubject: Re: FN Minimi old spec deactivation .   FN Minimi old spec deactivation . Icon_minitimeWed Nov 20, 2013 1:02 pm

In France, deactivation allows stripping, working action and dry fire.
Obviously deactivated weapons cannot chamber any kind of ammunition.

http://www.nolasco.fr/
http://www.esistoire.fr/vente/93/armes/126/armes-neutralisees-ou-libres.html

N.B. "neutralisé" means deactivated in english
Of course, i guess that importation in Great Britain is hazardous

Last edited by Dronne on Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
phobus
Modelgun Master
Modelgun Master
phobus

PostSubject: Re: FN Minimi old spec deactivation .   FN Minimi old spec deactivation . Icon_minitimeWed Nov 20, 2013 1:15 pm

500 Euro for an old spec Famas - wow .

Great pictures on that website Dronne - I can,t seem to get it to translate tho ...scratch 

Problem is , if it was stopped and seized by customs - highly likely I would say - you could well find yourself facing serious charges . Even though it is deactivated and certificated to be so .

What a pity .

carl
Back to top Go down
Dronne
Modelgun Enthusiast
Modelgun Enthusiast
Dronne

PostSubject: Re: FN Minimi old spec deactivation .   FN Minimi old spec deactivation . Icon_minitimeWed Nov 20, 2013 1:20 pm

Unfortunatly, you're right.
And i guess that as a collector, the argument the good faith, will not work.
Back to top Go down
pitfighter
Modelgun Master
Modelgun Master
pitfighter

PostSubject: Re: FN Minimi old spec deactivation .   FN Minimi old spec deactivation . Icon_minitimeWed Nov 20, 2013 4:49 pm

Thanks for the reply.

Last edited by pitfighter on Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:33 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
pitfighter
Modelgun Master
Modelgun Master
pitfighter

PostSubject: Re: FN Minimi old spec deactivation .   FN Minimi old spec deactivation . Icon_minitimeWed Nov 20, 2013 4:57 pm

Dronne -

I need that Mat 49 in my indo chine collection!

http://www.esistoire.fr/produit/MAT49B/pm-mat-49-neutralis%E9-plaquettes-bak%E9lite.html

It is not importable here with the receiver in one piece unfortunately.
Back to top Go down
Dronne
Modelgun Enthusiast
Modelgun Enthusiast
Dronne

PostSubject: Re: FN Minimi old spec deactivation .   FN Minimi old spec deactivation . Icon_minitimeWed Nov 20, 2013 11:07 pm

pitfighter wrote:

BTW - I have nothing against spending $10K on firearms, I have quite a few around that value in the armory, they earn their keep, so I can mitigate the cost - I was questioning the value of a totally inert piece, made from a VERY common firearm.
But, I gather that the fact it is an "old spec" effects it's value, more than anything else.
You're welcome,
Well, i can only talking about the application of the french firearms regulation :

So, here is a briefly explained overview :

Owning live firearms is not really expensive, if you are member of a shooting or hunting assossiation  (shooting or hunting licence & a medical certificate needed).

Full automatic weapons are strictly forbidden.
Limited magazine's capacity to 30

Regulation have 4 main categories : A B C, & D (all of them divided in a lot of sub categories)
A => forbidden

B => must be registered, and autorised by the firearms office of the residence place. Shooting licence is required. Semi auto rifles, pump action shot guns, semi auto pistols, revolvers.
The owner must have a safe-deposit box or cabinet and separate the ammo from the weapons.
The weapon must not be usable immediatly (bolt stripped, trigger guard lock, etc..)

C => must be registered to the firearms office of the residence place. Shooting or hunting licence is required. Manual repetition rifles (10 rounds max), shot guns (3 rounds max)
The weapon must not be usable immediatly (bolt stripped, trigger guard lock, etc..)

D => weapons designed before the year 1900 (unless some models in an exception list that are in C category) or replicas of weapons designed before 1900, but black powder only. But not pre 1900 semi automatic pistols (unless some models in an exception list).
No licence or registering needed.

Deactivated weapons are in category D, purchasing a deactivated weapons is fully allowed in France, the only condition is to be at least 18 years old, and not to carry it or transport it without legitimate reason.

Airsoft replicas and model guns are not considered as firearms.

pitfighter wrote:

It is not importable here with the receiver in one piece unfortunately.
Yes! It's really weird, in your country, in one hand, you can own and use weapons unreachable in France, and by the other hand, you can't import deactivated one!! No
Back to top Go down
pitfighter
Modelgun Master
Modelgun Master
pitfighter

PostSubject: Re: FN Minimi old spec deactivation .   FN Minimi old spec deactivation . Icon_minitimeWed Nov 20, 2013 11:18 pm

The law here is not so strange really - the receiver is the "weapon" - with regard to a machinegun or AW, to be imported the receiver must be destroyed according to ATF guidelines - 3 cuts that remove at least 4mm of metal - quite simple really.

If it's not cut (or, been cut at some time), it could feasibly be considered an unregistered machine-gun - even if it was full of welded steel and inoperable - as strange as that seems, destruction does have a clear definition within the ATF.

The dummies I own for film work, are all re-welded to inert/inoperable status, or assembled on an inert aluminum receiver.

My question has been answered - I think it is the old spec/new spec consideration, I wasn't aware of such a dramatic difference in price, living in another continent - but I guess it makes sense.
Back to top Go down
Dronne
Modelgun Enthusiast
Modelgun Enthusiast
Dronne

PostSubject: Re: FN Minimi old spec deactivation .   FN Minimi old spec deactivation . Icon_minitimeThu Nov 21, 2013 6:50 am

Back to top Go down
pitfighter
Modelgun Master
Modelgun Master
pitfighter

PostSubject: Re: FN Minimi old spec deactivation .   FN Minimi old spec deactivation . Icon_minitimeThu Nov 21, 2013 7:22 am

I read IMA in that link, I will not even press it, lol - every time I go to that site it costs me money.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: FN Minimi old spec deactivation .   FN Minimi old spec deactivation . Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

FN Minimi old spec deactivation .
Page 1 of 1