MP40's Modelguns Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
MP40's Modelguns Forum

International Forum for Modelgun enthusiasts

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Question : Cartridges for MGC S&W M76

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
pedal2metal
pedal2metal

Number of posts : 53
Location / Country : PA, USA
Registration date : 2015-07-01

Question : Cartridges for MGC S&W M76 Empty
PostSubject: Question : Cartridges for MGC S&W M76   Question : Cartridges for MGC S&W M76 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 06, 2015 10:07 pm

Question : Cartridges for MGC S&W M76 19544129912_7f7f65e1bc_zDSC06542

I just purchased my very first MGC; it is a SW M76, and it is awesome.  I wanted this gun since the 80s when I was a teen but had no money for it. Does anyone know for sure if the 2nd gen MGC CP type of carts can be fired in these? I hate to order 30 CP carts from 'mg props' or another vendor and have them not work correctly. The owner prior to me said he only ever fired it 2 times, and it does appear to be pretty clean. He wanted to sell me some MGC blk carts for $9 ea. which seemed high to me. Thanks!

Last edited by pedal2metal on Thu Jul 09, 2015 2:48 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
claymore
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist

Number of posts : 1233
Location / Country : London
Registration date : 2008-09-07

PostSubject: Re: Question : Cartridges for MGC S&W M76   Question : Cartridges for MGC S&W M76 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 07, 2015 8:20 am

CP rounds can be fired in this model as long as you have the right det pin, they made open and CP rounds for this model.
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

Number of posts : 11075
Location / Country : North Wales
Registration date : 2008-07-20

PostSubject: Re: Question : Cartridges for MGC S&W M76   Question : Cartridges for MGC S&W M76 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 07, 2015 9:02 am

Congratulations on acquiring a modelgun you've wanted for so long  cheers Exclamation The MGC M76 is a really nice model to have.
As Claymore says, as fas as cartridge choice goes, it all depends on which Detonator Pin the model's fitted with.
The original set-up was for firing Open cartridges. The Detonator Pin has a bulbous tip that creates the gas seal within the cartridge during firing. See:

Question : Cartridges for MGC S&W M76 DSCN4034

Later, conversions were done to use CP cartridges but the Det.Pin requires changing to a narrower, slightly tapered type. See:

Recently Tanio Koba have developed their EASY-CP cartridge which can be used in the M76 using a dedicated Det.Pin also available from TKoba, see:

Please be aware the MGC M76 is known to be a fragile model with a tendency to break the receiver at the Chamber end. They break in such a way the barrel assembly blows off taking the front of the receiver off. Being HWABS, it's pretty much impossible to repair back to firing condition unless you can find a spare Receiver. Being such a scarce model these days that wouldn't be easy.
This is one modelgun best left unfired. I'm sorry to give you such bad news but I well remember my disappointment when my first M76 blew it's barrel off within the first handful of cartridges fired. 
There are numerous tales of others suffering the same fate and even a video of one on Youtube that's linked to in our video category.

Hobby collector of Replica model guns and Militaria.
also member of Living History Reenactment Groups.
Back to top Go down
https://mp40modelguns.forumotion.net
pedal2metal
pedal2metal

PostSubject: Re: Question : Cartridges for MGC S&W M76   Question : Cartridges for MGC S&W M76 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 07, 2015 3:53 pm

Thank you all for the fast replies! Yes, I have decided to not fire it. I do have 8 open carts. coming this week from K. Harris; his price was so cheap I could not turn it down. I will just display the carts along w/ the box and gun. I was able to print out the repro. instructions from here (thank you!). I will take pics of it since it so clean with a near mint box as well. I will now pursue a cap firing mp40 so I have something full auto to play with. I do own a TOP mp40 airsoft, which is amazing to hold and look at, but I got bored with that quick and my brother sold his real Sten a few years ago, so I no longer get to shoot anything full auto. I will own a real SW m76 (or MK Arms version) someday, but until then I will have to make do with this replica that I can stare at. lol   I am going to try and make a repro. cart. box, I wonder if anyone has any good scans?

Quote :
Please be aware the MGC M76 is known to be a fragile model with a tendency to break the receiver at the Chamber end. They break in such a way the barrel assembly blows off taking the front of the receiver off. Being HWABS, it's pretty much impossible to repair back to firing condition unless you can find a spare Receiver. Being such a scarce model these days that wouldn't be easy.
This is one modelgun best left unfired. I'm sorry to give you such bad news but I well remember my disappointment when my first M76 blew it's barrel off within the first handful of cartridges fired. 
There are numerous tales of others suffering the same fate and even a video of one on Youtube that's linked to in our video category.
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: Question : Cartridges for MGC S&W M76   Question : Cartridges for MGC S&W M76 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 07, 2015 4:32 pm

Glad to be of help  Very Happy That's why we're all here after all  Wink

Are you thinking of making a repro MGC Open cartridge box for the M76 Question I think I have one I could scan and measure up. Leave it with me, I'll look through my supply of cartridges.

If you want a full auto cap-firer, you wouldn't go far wrong with a Marushin ABS MP40. Get the ABS version rather than HWABS, it's not brittle and as fragile as HWABS. I've had one example for over 12 years now (my first modelgun in fact) and all I've had to renew was the bolt when the feed rails eventually wore out.

Back to top Go down
pedal2metal
pedal2metal

PostSubject: Re: Question : Cartridges for MGC S&W M76   Question : Cartridges for MGC S&W M76 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 07, 2015 5:27 pm

Yes, I think I will make an open cart. box up; I guess that is what would have been sold at the time, say 1985, for it. Any scans you have would be awesome! I did see the two photos (MG-BLK w/ red ink on box) in the carts info section. Did MGC ever produce a MG-BLK 10 count cart. box like the CP style green ink box, or was it only the 20 count?

What are the two supplied holes in the M76's styrofoam for? I would assume the second from the left is for the cart. box, but what about the larger left void? (I'm one of those people who likes to know how it looked when it was new, and would love to put all together so it doesnt just look like two empty holes in the box when I slide it open.)  It's hard to find photos of an unused M76 online with the box, supplied carts etc. Maybe they never came with anything in those two holes; I'm pretty sure in the US, this particular pfc gun was sold w/out any supplied carts as far I can tell....   hummmm

So the heavyweight ABS version of Marushin's mp40 is actually weaker than the standard ABS, less expensive version?  That's weird, huh?

Cerwyn wrote:
Glad to be of help  Very Happy That's why we're all here after all  Wink

Are you thinking of making a repro MGC Open cartridge box for the M76 Question I think I have one I could scan and measure up. Leave it with me, I'll look through my supply of cartridges.

If you want a full auto cap-firer, you wouldn't go far wrong with a Marushin ABS MP40. Get the ABS version rather than HWABS, it's not brittle and as fragile as HWABS. I've had one example for over 12 years now (my first modelgun in fact) and all I've had to renew was the bolt when the feed rails eventually wore out.
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: Question : Cartridges for MGC S&W M76   Question : Cartridges for MGC S&W M76 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 07, 2015 6:01 pm

ABS doesn't have the same metallic particles included in the plastic when it's being moulded. While the metal particles add some weight, can feel colder to the touch, they make the HWABS brittle.
ABS is soft enough to take the shock caused by firing and components moving at speed.

I've not seen the styrofoam box liner of the M76 but would guess the larger cut out void could be for a box of caps assuming it's rectangular.

I'll have a look for my M76 cartridges, scan it, measure it and post the findings for you. As I said I'm certain they're Open, they should be as the Det.Pin is for the Open type Exclamation 

I'll be back asap... 

Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: Question : Cartridges for MGC S&W M76   Question : Cartridges for MGC S&W M76 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 08, 2015 1:04 pm

These are scanned images of the boxed cartridges I received with my MGC S&W M76

Question : Cartridges for MGC S&W M76 Scan0001_1

Question : Cartridges for MGC S&W M76 Scan0005_1

Question : Cartridges for MGC S&W M76 Scan0004_1

Question : Cartridges for MGC S&W M76 Scan0003_1

Question : Cartridges for MGC S&W M76 DSCN4707

Question : Cartridges for MGC S&W M76 DSCN4708

Outer Dimensions 55mm x 44mm x 24mm
Inner Box 53mm x 42mm x 24mm

Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: Question : Cartridges for MGC S&W M76   Question : Cartridges for MGC S&W M76 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 09, 2015 9:18 am

pedal2metal wrote:
Cerwyn, Thank you for the dimensions and pics! 

It's my pleasure.
I hope you'll be able to make use of them. I'd be interested to see your replica box if you decide to make one.
If you can let me have the dimensions of the larger cut out in the MGC M76 styrofoam box I can tell you if a cap box would fit or not. 
Thanks again

Back to top Go down
pedal2metal
pedal2metal

PostSubject: Re: Question : Cartridges for MGC S&W M76   Question : Cartridges for MGC S&W M76 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 09, 2015 3:10 pm

The larger void on the box's left side measures: 63.5mm x 101.6mm x 77.2mm deep.   I'm pretty sure the caps fit in there, and the right most void apparently would fit two of the cartridge boxes, length wise pointing down, side by side.  Question : Cartridges for MGC S&W M76 19364296499_5ce477eb23_z

Cerwyn wrote:
pedal2metal wrote:
Cerwyn, Thank you for the dimensions and pics! 

It's my pleasure.
I hope you'll be able to make use of them. I'd be interested to see your replica box if you decide to make one.
If you can let me have the dimensions of the larger cut out in the MGC M76 styrofoam box I can tell you if a cap box would fit or not. 
Thanks again

I know you said your M76 came w/ 9x22 carts, but I keep seeing 9x24 size come up while I was researching this particular model. The 1986 catalog I have just states a MGC part #2709DC for the carts, but gives no size. I guess both sizes can "run" through that gun then (?).
Back to top Go down
pedal2metal
pedal2metal

PostSubject: Re: Question : Cartridges for MGC S&W M76   Question : Cartridges for MGC S&W M76 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 09, 2015 8:57 pm

Here is a quicky version w/ 9x24... I ended up using a pre-existing jewelry box I had on hand, since it was close in size. The 8 rounds came in the mail today from K. Harris & they do measure 9x24. Its just nice to have a small box to put the shells in now!  

Question : Cartridges for MGC S&W M76 19562967391_f5facb8215_z
Question : Cartridges for MGC S&W M76 19370750730_5f10af961d_z
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: Question : Cartridges for MGC S&W M76   Question : Cartridges for MGC S&W M76 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 16, 2015 2:33 pm

I'm hoping to get a reply from Japan clarifying which cartridge was supplied as standard for the M-76.
As soon as I have it I'll post the info' up. 

Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: Question : Cartridges for MGC S&W M76   Question : Cartridges for MGC S&W M76 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 19, 2015 10:24 am

Right then, it looks like we've got our answers now thanks to HIGUsan in Japan.

The M-76 was originally designed to use 9mm x 24mm Open cartridges that are loaded with a 7mm cap

The 9mm x 22mm Short, .380 Super Open cartridge has a stepped "Primer" that drops into a recess in the base of the cartridge to take a 5mm cap. This cartridge was intended for the MAC-11 Ingram.

My own MGC M-76 was supplied with Open cartridges placed in the wrong box ! 

I'll correct the Library entries now.

Back to top Go down
pedal2metal
pedal2metal

PostSubject: Re: Question : Cartridges for MGC S&W M76   Question : Cartridges for MGC S&W M76 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 24, 2015 6:17 pm

So your carts do measure 9x24? (but they were just in 9x22 box) Somewhere I read that 9x22 can run thru the gun too, but I have not confirmed that info.
Cerwyn wrote:
Right then, it looks like we've got our answers now thanks to HIGUsan in Japan.

The M-76 was originally designed to use 9mm x 24mm Open cartridges that are loaded with a 7mm cap

The 9mm x 22mm Short, .380 Super Open cartridge has a stepped "Primer" that drops into a recess in the base of the cartridge to take a 5mm cap. This cartridge was intended for the MAC-11 Ingram.

My own MGC M-76 was supplied with Open cartridges placed in the wrong box ! 

I'll correct the Library entries now.
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: Question : Cartridges for MGC S&W M76   Question : Cartridges for MGC S&W M76 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 28, 2015 11:50 am

This gets slightly more confusing - having correctly measured the cartridges supplied with my M-76 they are in fact 22mm long. However they are intended to be loaded with 7mm caps not 5mm

The mistake I made was in assuming they must be 24mm as they take 7mm caps. I must apologise for jumping to conclusions  Embarassed

I have asked for more information from Japan hoping to get confirmation of the cartridge intended for the M-76. Watch this space   

Back to top Go down
pedal2metal
pedal2metal

PostSubject: Re: Question : Cartridges for MGC S&W M76   Question : Cartridges for MGC S&W M76 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 28, 2015 12:52 pm

Thats okay.  The only picture I have ever seen of a M76 marked 9x24 box was on this site showing the new style CP carts in the green striped box; so I would assume that size must have been designed (and recommended) to run thru the gun. https://mp40modelguns.forumotion.net/t2491-mgc-cal-9mm-9x24-for-m-76-etc
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: Question : Cartridges for MGC S&W M76   Question : Cartridges for MGC S&W M76 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 28, 2015 12:58 pm

There's no doubt that 9mm x 24mm CP type carts are intended for the M-76 but I'd still like to know if the Open type cartridge should be 24mm or 22mm  scratch

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Question : Cartridges for MGC S&W M76   Question : Cartridges for MGC S&W M76 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Question : Cartridges for MGC S&W M76
Page 1 of 1