MP40's Modelguns Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
MP40's Modelguns Forum

International Forum for Modelgun enthusiasts

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Stripping the Drum Magazine

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

Number of posts : 11075
Location / Country : North Wales
Registration date : 2008-07-20

Stripping the Drum Magazine Empty
PostSubject: Stripping the Drum Magazine   Stripping the Drum Magazine Icon_minitimeThu Oct 08, 2015 10:02 am

Can anyone help with instructions on stripping a MGC Thompson Drum magazine please?

What are the risks of having the main spring fly out of the drum during stripping?

A new member has asked me but I've never stripped one! Any help would be much appreciated please!

Thanks in advance

Hobby collector of Replica model guns and Militaria.
also member of Living History Reenactment Groups.
Back to top Go down
https://mp40modelguns.forumotion.net
cushy1944
cushy1944

Number of posts : 35
Location / Country : United Kingdom
Registration date : 2022-05-23

PostSubject: Re: Stripping the Drum Magazine   Stripping the Drum Magazine Icon_minitimeTue Aug 01, 2023 11:32 am

I note the date of this. I’ve never had this happen and have instructions if it helps. Albeit it a question raised 8 years ago!

Cerwyn likes this post

Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: Stripping the Drum Magazine   Stripping the Drum Magazine Icon_minitimeTue Aug 01, 2023 4:02 pm

Hi cushy,

May I trouble you to post up your instructions on stripping the MGC Thompson drum mag' please?
It would be of interest to see how it's done safely!

Many thanks

Back to top Go down
cushy1944
cushy1944

Number of posts : 35
Location / Country : United Kingdom
Registration date : 2022-05-23

PostSubject: Re: Stripping the Drum Magazine   Stripping the Drum Magazine Icon_minitimeSun Apr 28, 2024 12:35 pm

Hello - I’ve just realised how much time has gone since I last commented.  If we are talking a strip beyond removal of the face to load rounds, I don’t have those instructions.

However, I have had the drum apart to this level.  This was because I accidentally overwound it and the spring pinged out of its retainer.  The main spring inside didn’t fly off when I opened it up which involved removal of some circlips which needed careful removal to avoid damage to the metal surface of the drum.  The trickiest part was getting the spring end back in the rather flimsy retainer.  The end of the spring comes out behind the inner housing.  Getting that at the right angle to go through the retaining loop and get the retaining housing closed needed a lot of patience.
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: Stripping the Drum Magazine   Stripping the Drum Magazine Icon_minitimeSun Apr 28, 2024 3:55 pm

cushy1944 wrote:
Hello - I’ve just realised how much time has gone since I last commented.  If we are talking a strip beyond removal of the face to load rounds, I don’t have those instructions.

However, I have had the drum apart to this level.  This was because I accidentally overwound it and the spring pinged out of its retainer.  The main spring inside didn’t fly off when I opened it up which involved removal of some circlips which needed careful removal to avoid damage to the metal surface of the drum.  The trickiest part was getting the spring end back in the rather flimsy retainer.  The end of the spring comes out behind the inner housing.  Getting that at the right angle to go through the retaining loop and get the retaining housing closed needed a lot of patience.
Hello cushy

I was asking about taking the drum completely apart. 
Thank you for your description, that'll be very helpful.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Stripping the Drum Magazine   Stripping the Drum Magazine Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Stripping the Drum Magazine
Page 1 of 1