MP40's Modelguns Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
MP40's Modelguns Forum

International Forum for Modelgun enthusiasts

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

re-repainting marushin ABS lightweight kit (unassembled)

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Chris Rush

Number of posts : 72
Location / Country : 19352 Pennsylvania United States
Registration date : 2015-03-07

re-repainting marushin ABS lightweight kit (unassembled) Empty
PostSubject: re-repainting marushin ABS lightweight kit (unassembled)   re-repainting marushin ABS lightweight kit (unassembled) Icon_minitimeSat Apr 02, 2016 7:52 am

While there have been some very interesting ideas regarding the refinishing/repainting of the Marushin MP40 ABS Heavyweights, I've been unable to find anything that specifically addresses the rather flimsy Marushin ABS (lightweight) model gun kit (as yet unbuilt).

Though the $350.00 purchase price was reasonable, the overall look is rather disappointing. The total weight (without leather sling and an empty magazine) is slightly over 5 pounds. The metal folding stock and other metal items weigh about 2 pounds and they look very nice. The plastic pouches containing the various smaller parts weigh almost two pounds. The ABS that constitutes the "gun" itself weighs a little more than 1 pound!

To add a bit of heft, I've glued various sized open washers together and plan to permanently install them into the barrel after the paint work is done. I hope to add small metal straps inside the model gun where they can't be seen and don't interfere with the "firing" capabilities of the model gun.

Here's my question- Did all of the German MP40's end up with the gloss black finish? I have a Denix with a gloss black finish. It doesn't do much but; it looks OK. The same gloss black finish on the ABS (lightweight) Marushin MP40 kit parts look awful. Any suggestions regarding a more realistic "look" would be appreciated.

Please keep in mind, that this "lightweight" doesn't give me much to work with. Thanks, Chris
Back to top Go down
Dronne
Modelgun Enthusiast
Modelgun Enthusiast
Dronne

Number of posts : 215
Location / Country : France Paris
Registration date : 2012-01-05

PostSubject: Re: re-repainting marushin ABS lightweight kit (unassembled)   re-repainting marushin ABS lightweight kit (unassembled) Icon_minitimeFri Apr 08, 2016 7:25 pm

Hi,
As far as i know, all MP40  were gloss/satin black finish.
To add a used look, you can apply the drybrushing technic on it. It works fine with plastics model kits.
Dip lightly a brush in silver paint, wipe it with a rag, or some paper towel, then scrub the brush on edges of your MP40 model. When it's as you like, use a spray varnish (i prefer satin finish) to protect your paint.

My apologizes if it's not clear enough, these days my english is a bit lame.

Regards.
Back to top Go down
Chris Rush

Number of posts : 72
Location / Country : 19352 Pennsylvania United States
Registration date : 2015-03-07

PostSubject: Dronne/MP40 suggestions   re-repainting marushin ABS lightweight kit (unassembled) Icon_minitimeSat Apr 09, 2016 1:40 am

Hello Dronne,

Thank you for taking the time to respond to my query.

Your approach to attaining a more convincing look is less complicated than some of the more involved techniques suggested when attempting to duplicate the right look for the MP40.

I'll give it a try!

Thanks again, Chris
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: re-repainting marushin ABS lightweight kit (unassembled)   re-repainting marushin ABS lightweight kit (unassembled) Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

re-repainting marushin ABS lightweight kit (unassembled)
Page 1 of 1