MP40's Modelguns Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
MP40's Modelguns Forum

International Forum for Modelgun enthusiasts

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Please identify my MGC68

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
mrfatcat320

Number of posts : 3
Location / Country : USA
Registration date : 2016-05-09

Please identify my MGC68 Empty
PostSubject: Please identify my MGC68   Please identify my MGC68 Icon_minitimeTue May 10, 2016 6:34 am

Hi I am new to this forum and MGC68. I think I have an early model, but I am not sure about what this model gun can do, such as what type of bolt it is, whether it can be fit to fire blanks or caps, and etc. Can anyone here help?

Please identify my MGC68 Fullsi10
Please identify my MGC68 Img_0715
Please identify my MGC68 Img_0713
Please identify my MGC68 Img_0710
Please identify my MGC68 Img_0711
Please identify my MGC68 Img_0716
Please identify my MGC68 Img_0712
Please identify my MGC68 Img_0714
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

Number of posts : 11076
Location / Country : North Wales
Registration date : 2008-07-20

PostSubject: Re: Please identify my MGC68   Please identify my MGC68 Icon_minitimeTue May 10, 2016 1:51 pm

Hi and welcome to the Forum,

That's a nice tidy early MGC68 MP40 you have there. 
The bolt is, I believe, an early example having the split feed rail which allows the ejector to pass along. 
The facts that you have a complete bolt-face, with feed rail, plus the early Open Cartridge design Detonator Pin in the Chamber would certainly lead me to think that this can easily be converted to fire modern 9mm CP-HW MGC P220 cap charged cartridges. All you would need do is replace the Detonator Pin with a suitable type.
There are thankfully plenty of small Japanese firms making MGC P220 cartridge replacements now

The old Open Cartridges crop up for sale sometimes but they used rolls of paper type caps. These were replaced years ago by plastic bodied caps, still in use today.

Firing Blank Ammunition would require extensive and expensive strengthening of the model, including making steel bolts and chambers

You've a very nice example there!   

Hobby collector of Replica model guns and Militaria.
also member of Living History Reenactment Groups.
Back to top Go down
https://mp40modelguns.forumotion.net
mrfatcat320

PostSubject: Re: Please identify my MGC68   Please identify my MGC68 Icon_minitimeTue May 10, 2016 10:13 pm

Thank you for your help! I am OK with cap firing. Can you suggest a few websites to find the cap cartridges? Most search engines return links to tokyohobby.net but it is not working (not sure if server is down or is permanently out)... And where do you suggest to get the detonator for cap?

Also, you suggested below that it has an open cartridge type detonator. So what type of cartridge will work with this type of detonator in the current market? (Sorry I am just not familiar with the cap stuff).

Thanks!
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: Please identify my MGC68   Please identify my MGC68 Icon_minitimeWed May 11, 2016 12:05 pm

It's my pleasure to help if I can.

In a nutshell, the old style Det.Pin you have is not suitable for any Cartridge in current production.

Here's a drawing giving nominal dimensions of the Pin installed in my MGC68 '40. If one of our Japanese friends can't find you one in Japan, perhaps you could have one made?

A couple of links to alternate, available cartridges can be found here

Shazhib, one of our longstanding Japanese members may be able to help you source cartridges and the Det.Pin. I'd suggest you contact him by Private Message through here in the first instance. 

Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: Please identify my MGC68   Please identify my MGC68 Icon_minitimeThu May 12, 2016 10:59 am

Just to update you, Detonator Pins suitable for MGC P220 or alternative cart's are available on Yahoo Japan's auction site. These are sold by "Mika"

Please identify my MGC68 Mika8551-img600x450-1424077677ydwzbi13142

Auction IDb198975659 

Hopefully, this should make it easier for shazhib, our very helpful Japanese member to source one for you.

Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: Please identify my MGC68   Please identify my MGC68 Icon_minitimeThu May 12, 2016 10:59 am

Just to update you, Detonator Pins suitable for MGC P220 or alternative cart's are available on Yahoo Japan's auction site. These are sold by "Mika"

Please identify my MGC68 Mika8551-img600x450-1424077677ydwzbi13142

Auction IDb198975659 

Hopefully, this should make it easier for shazhib, our very helpful Japanese member to source one for you.

Back to top Go down
mrfatcat320

PostSubject: Re: Please identify my MGC68   Please identify my MGC68 Icon_minitimeSat May 21, 2016 9:27 am

Thank you very much! I will talk to my friend in Japan to see if he find the detonator pin. Search engine results suggest it's hard for an outsider to bid in Japanese auction sites...

May I ask a stupid question: how to remove the existing detonator pin and insert the new one? Don't want to screw up a nice model gun if I don't know anything to watch out for...

Thanks!

Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: Please identify my MGC68   Please identify my MGC68 Icon_minitimeSat May 21, 2016 11:59 am

Hi

There are no such things as stupid questions, only stupid answers  Very Happy

Seriously, this Forum was set up to be a source of help and advice for everyone, newcomers to Modelguns especially. If there's anything you need to ask, please don't hesitate.

Assuming the old style Det.Pin fits the same way as the new style, all you need to do is unscrew the barrel nut, remove the barrel assembly and the Det. Pin should drop out of the Chamber / Trunnion.
The new Det.Pin simply drops into place and secured by the barrel once the barrel nut's tightened up. 

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Please identify my MGC68   Please identify my MGC68 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Please identify my MGC68
Page 1 of 1