MP40's Modelguns Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
MP40's Modelguns Forum

International Forum for Modelgun enthusiasts

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Has anyone ever 3d printed replacement model gun cartridges?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
folf

Number of posts : 23
Location / Country : USA
Registration date : 2013-03-14

Has anyone ever 3d printed replacement model gun cartridges? Empty
PostSubject: Has anyone ever 3d printed replacement model gun cartridges?   Has anyone ever 3d printed replacement model gun cartridges? Icon_minitimeFri Mar 09, 2018 2:27 pm

Has anyone ever 3d printed replacement model gun cartridges? I don't see why it wouldn't work if the dimensions were right. Think of the money saved and convenience
Back to top Go down
claymore
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist

Number of posts : 1234
Location / Country : London
Registration date : 2008-09-07

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone ever 3d printed replacement model gun cartridges?   Has anyone ever 3d printed replacement model gun cartridges? Icon_minitimeFri Mar 09, 2018 5:23 pm

I think it has been tried but too much pressure is produced and shreds the round, at least on the cheaper home printers.
Back to top Go down
S. Thomas

Number of posts : 41
Location / Country : West Midlands, UK
Registration date : 2009-09-05

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone ever 3d printed replacement model gun cartridges?   Has anyone ever 3d printed replacement model gun cartridges? Icon_minitimeSun Mar 11, 2018 9:41 pm

Not quite 3D printing but I'm currently experimenting with recycled HDPE plastic since it's fairly flexible. The idea is to melt the plastic into rods and then use a lathe to turn them into cartridges. Then, by using cheap paper roll caps and match heads, I should be able to create "disposable" cartridges that can be mass produced to an extent.
Back to top Go down
http://bstb-film.com
8ace
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
8ace

Number of posts : 2554
Location / Country : UK
Registration date : 2008-08-06

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone ever 3d printed replacement model gun cartridges?   Has anyone ever 3d printed replacement model gun cartridges? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 12, 2018 7:45 am

It’s an interesting concept.

But I'd be very surprised if cartridges made with FDM/FFF 3D printers will hold together under the force plus they won’t be gas tight due to the way it deposits the layers.

The second issue is the threads as they can’t replicate a 0.75mm pitch thread in fine enough detail (if you want them to be reusable).

An SLA/LCD/DLP 3D resin printer should be able to print them and if you can find a strong enough resin it might hold together.

8ace
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone ever 3d printed replacement model gun cartridges?   Has anyone ever 3d printed replacement model gun cartridges? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Has anyone ever 3d printed replacement model gun cartridges?
Page 1 of 1