MP40's Modelguns Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
MP40's Modelguns Forum

International Forum for Modelgun enthusiasts

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The Thompson M1 .45 Sub Machine Gun ... Real Steel...

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

Number of posts : 11076
Location / Country : North Wales
Registration date : 2008-07-20

The Thompson M1 .45 Sub Machine Gun ... Real Steel... Empty
PostSubject: The Thompson M1 .45 Sub Machine Gun ... Real Steel...   The Thompson M1 .45 Sub Machine Gun ... Real Steel... Icon_minitimeFri Sep 26, 2008 3:59 pm

Post by 2sharp

Reference pages:

http://world.guns.ru/smg/smg29-e.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thompson_submachine_gun

Oh well, on with the pictures The Thompson M1 .45 Sub Machine Gun ... Real Steel... Icon_smile

The Thompson M1 .45 Sub Machine Gun ... Real Steel... 001wz2

The Thompson M1 .45 Sub Machine Gun ... Real Steel... 002np7

Some detailed pics:
The Thompson M1 .45 Sub Machine Gun ... Real Steel... 003ba3.thThe Thompson M1 .45 Sub Machine Gun ... Real Steel... 004rg8.thThe Thompson M1 .45 Sub Machine Gun ... Real Steel... 005ky9.thThe Thompson M1 .45 Sub Machine Gun ... Real Steel... 006vq1.th
First pic: Makers mark of course The Thompson M1 .45 Sub Machine Gun ... Real Steel... Icon_smile (i like the scratches..)
Second pic: Identification mark, i actually had a debate with a friend if this was an M1 or M1A1, it does help to read this.. The Thompson M1 .45 Sub Machine Gun ... Real Steel... Icon_wink
Third pic: Safety, selector and magazine catch.
Fourth pic: Lower receiver from above, somewhat blurry but the parts are rather large so hopefully it'll be clear enough.

The Thompson M1 .45 Sub Machine Gun ... Real Steel... 007ft7.thThe Thompson M1 .45 Sub Machine Gun ... Real Steel... 008zo2.thThe Thompson M1 .45 Sub Machine Gun ... Real Steel... 009vb9.thThe Thompson M1 .45 Sub Machine Gun ... Real Steel... 010ae0.th
First pic: Shows the handguard removed, note that the threaded hole is drilled at an angle for a vertical front grip. Also note that it slides on rather then clamps on.
Second pic: Upper receiver turned up-side down, just in the back of it you can see the spring loaded pin that is depressed to make the upper receiver slide off the lower receiver. The recoil spring is also clearly visible, note that the plate at the end of the spring (towards the back end) keeps the spring in the receiver. Slide it upwards and the recoil spring and guide will slide out of the hole in the end of the receiver. Also note the cut-outs tp keep the bolt back (cocked for firing) and the most impressive MASSIVE bolt and receiver, this is definitely old skool milled, drilled and turned goood ol'e STEEL parts. No fiddly pressed, sheet metal present The Thompson M1 .45 Sub Machine Gun ... Real Steel... Icon_smile You can also see the bolt handle in the upper right part of the picture, if you look at the front of the bolt, pressed up against the front of the receiver is small lever, we'll come to that later...
Third pic: The bolt, charging handle and also the plate mentioned earlier, this is the plate that holds the recoil spring in the receiver. I was told that it is built with a thin sliver of leather between 2 metal plates, the leather part is used to soak up gunoil to keep it nicely lubricated, i'm not too sure about that (or i simply misunderstood) i think it is supposed to dampen the bolt from striking the back of the receiver? Here the lever i mentioned can be more clearly seen, also note that the same lever helps to keep the charging handle in the bolt. Please note the rather long and solid extractor. Again, this is true, old solid stuff The Thompson M1 .45 Sub Machine Gun ... Real Steel... Icon_smile
Fourth pic: A close up of the bolt and the hole for the charging handle, here the lever can be easily seen.

The Thompson M1 .45 Sub Machine Gun ... Real Steel... 011rs4.thThe Thompson M1 .45 Sub Machine Gun ... Real Steel... 012xq6.thThe Thompson M1 .45 Sub Machine Gun ... Real Steel... 013kw9.thThe Thompson M1 .45 Sub Machine Gun ... Real Steel... 014qj0.th
First pic: The famous lever again The Thompson M1 .45 Sub Machine Gun ... Real Steel... Icon_smile As long as this hasn't been pushed back against the receiver, there is no firing pin protruding through the breechface of the bolt. Very clever and simple was to prevent un-timed discharge of the cartridge. (i beleive this is one of the differences between the M1 and the M1A1?)
Second pic: Lever depressed and firing pin is visible. Blurry pic but note extractor and milled slot for ejector.
Third pic: Shows lever solidly pressed against upper receiver. Just look at all that metal!!
Fourth pic: Back of buttstock, hatch for cleaning kit is open (this one was empty) And also back of upper receiver, note dis-assembly pin, recoil spring back end protruding out of receiver and the plate keeping it in the receiver. The thick guides for the lower receiver can also be seen.

The Thompson M1 .45 Sub Machine Gun ... Real Steel... 017it7.thThe Thompson M1 .45 Sub Machine Gun ... Real Steel... 019jc4.thThe Thompson M1 .45 Sub Machine Gun ... Real Steel... 020qt9.th
First pic: Ejection port, note ejector in lower right corner. Beginning of chamber is visible, what can't be seen is the width of the feed ramp, it is like a friggin' highway! The Thompson M1 .45 Sub Machine Gun ... Real Steel... Icon_smile
Second pic: Quite apparently the busniness end The Thompson M1 .45 Sub Machine Gun ... Real Steel... Icon_eek .45 caliber is rather large...
Third pic: Awesome trademark! Judging from the pics Hudson did a nice and cool version of this The Thompson M1 .45 Sub Machine Gun ... Real Steel... Icon_smile

That's all the pics i had, hope that it was enjoyable. Even though a few pic were rather blurry.

A fantastic gun, i fired one when i was in the U.S about 5 years ago, easy to keep on target, easy to handle. Sweeet....

The Thompson M1 .45 Sub Machine Gun ... Real Steel... Icon_smile

The holy quest for modelgun information and knowledge will never-ever end!!
Back to top Go down
https://mp40modelguns.forumotion.net
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: The Thompson M1 .45 Sub Machine Gun ... Real Steel...   The Thompson M1 .45 Sub Machine Gun ... Real Steel... Icon_minitimeFri Sep 26, 2008 3:59 pm

This is just too much ... I'm drooling here, the real steel MP40 was fantastic but this M1A1 as well???
The Thompson M1 .45 Sub Machine Gun ... Real Steel... Icon_biggrin The Thompson M1 .45 Sub Machine Gun ... Real Steel... Icon_biggrin The Thompson M1 .45 Sub Machine Gun ... Real Steel... Icon_biggrin
To say I am envious is putting it mildly The Thompson M1 .45 Sub Machine Gun ... Real Steel... Icon_wink

My Hudson M1A1 should be arriving soon, I'm looking forwards to comparing the model to these real steel photos

Cerwyn
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: The Thompson M1 .45 Sub Machine Gun ... Real Steel...   The Thompson M1 .45 Sub Machine Gun ... Real Steel... Icon_minitimeFri Sep 26, 2008 4:00 pm

Post by 2sharp

Glad you like it The Thompson M1 .45 Sub Machine Gun ... Real Steel... Icon_smile It was on purpose i choose the Thompson, both the MP-40 and this is really nice guns and obviously coveted as modelguns too!

Oh, note that this should be an M1 and not the M1A1 The Thompson M1 .45 Sub Machine Gun ... Real Steel... Icon_smile (unless i messed up... The Thompson M1 .45 Sub Machine Gun ... Real Steel... Icon_rolleyes )

Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: The Thompson M1 .45 Sub Machine Gun ... Real Steel...   The Thompson M1 .45 Sub Machine Gun ... Real Steel... Icon_minitimeFri Sep 26, 2008 4:02 pm

Post by Ozguns

Absolutely fantastic write up and photos.
I am very much enjoying reading these articles.

Keep them coming if you can.

Cheers, Dan.
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: The Thompson M1 .45 Sub Machine Gun ... Real Steel...   The Thompson M1 .45 Sub Machine Gun ... Real Steel... Icon_minitimeFri Sep 26, 2008 4:03 pm

Post by 2sharp

I'll do my best to keep this up lads, but my external hard-disc drive where i stored all the pictures went toes-up the other week so it might be a lost case The Thompson M1 .45 Sub Machine Gun ... Real Steel... Icon_sad

I'll see if this can be re-surrected.

Typical.. The Thompson M1 .45 Sub Machine Gun ... Real Steel... Icon_sad

Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: The Thompson M1 .45 Sub Machine Gun ... Real Steel...   The Thompson M1 .45 Sub Machine Gun ... Real Steel... Icon_minitimeFri Sep 26, 2008 4:04 pm

Post by LDR

Great pictures! I hope this wont be detroyed.

This is very hand for reference for me...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Thompson M1 .45 Sub Machine Gun ... Real Steel...   The Thompson M1 .45 Sub Machine Gun ... Real Steel... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Thompson M1 .45 Sub Machine Gun ... Real Steel...
Page 1 of 1