MP40's Modelguns Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
MP40's Modelguns Forum

International Forum for Modelgun enthusiasts

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Hudson "Grease Gun" M3A1... Read & Post your REVIEWS Here

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

Number of posts : 11073
Location / Country : North Wales
Registration date : 2008-07-20

Hudson "Grease Gun" M3A1... Read & Post your REVIEWS Here Empty
PostSubject: Hudson "Grease Gun" M3A1... Read & Post your REVIEWS Here   Hudson "Grease Gun" M3A1... Read & Post your REVIEWS Here Icon_minitimeSun Sep 28, 2008 5:51 pm

See Also :- https://mp40modelguns.forumotion.net/modelgun-reviews-f4/hudson-s-grease-gun-in-1973-t232.htm

Post by Claymore

HUDSON GREASE GUN

Hudson "Grease Gun" M3A1... Read & Post your REVIEWS Here 100_1562

The grease gun is another weapon born from necessity during ww2. The Thompson was an expensive firearm to produce and although the M1A1 came in a weapon that could be made quickly and cheaply was needed and so the M3A1 was born.
It is a weapon very much in the mould of the sten, made from pressed steel (2 halves in this case) and of simplistic design even to the fact that it was full auto only. The gun came to be known as the grease gun and one look at it and no explanation as to why is needed.
There have been a number of modelguns made of this gun, MGC made a metal model (which Francky had for sale unfortunately way out of my price bracket but it is rare) and of course Hudson have made a metal one a plastic one and a HW one.
I cannot comment on the metal one (apart from that I want one) but I can on the HW and plastic.
The Hudson model seems (I have never seen a real grease gun) to accurately replicate the real thing in looks , the body is all one piece and the barrel is screwed to the body, the detonator pin and the housing for it screw into the barrel and the bolt simply slides into the body of the gun.

Hudson "Grease Gun" M3A1... Read & Post your REVIEWS Here 100_1563

Both the plastic (new model) and the older HW version are exactly the same in look and design and so all parts are interchangeable , weight wise there is a slight difference as you would expect but not that much which possible explains why they released a plastic version rather than a HW (cost). It is therefore not a heavy gun and it feels like what it is, a tube, that said it is easier to hold than the sten because it does at least have a pistol grip it also has a stock, a metal skeleton one which is collapsible in that that it runs along the body of the gun and by simply pushing a button at the rear of the body the stock can be pulled out and locked in position. This is a usable stock and works well but I doubt it would have been used much in battle.
The magazine is a metal one and so adds some weight especially when fully loaded and this is a 45 cal gun so the rounds are large and heavy.
The bolt of this gun is an odd design unlike every other machine gun I can think of this gun has no cocking handle, the bolt simply has 2 round recesses in it which you push your fingers into which gives you the grip you need to cock the bolt, also due to no cocking handle extending out this gun has a dust cover that covers the bolt and ejection port and must be moved up and out of the way in order to gain access to the bolt and allow spent rounds to eject. I suppose in a way this could also be considered a safety (as there is no other) as with the flap down the bolt cannot be accessed and so cocked
One thing that lets this model down is its colour, it is a strange grey colour which is a colour some plastics go with age, now both the HW and the plastic are this colour, why! It’s the only plastic gun I have seen with this funny shade and it does let the model down as it detracts from an otherwise accurate piece.

Hudson "Grease Gun" M3A1... Read & Post your REVIEWS Here 100_1565
All this said I can forgive a modelgun practically anything if it fires well and does not break on the first round.
First this is a Hudson modelgun which normally means a very accurate copy but a nightmare to fire (the sten apart of course) however this model is another exception and it fires well straight out of the box, well it does take one tweak first.
The rounds, why oh why do Hudson insist on the crappy inners they use in their rounds, surely by now they should realise they do not work, anyway get rid of them and replace them with MGC inners right from the start it will save you grief. The 45 rounds take 7mm caps and the mag will hold 30, now as the mag is metal it has a proper gun colour where as the rest of the gun is grey so there is a bit of contrast between the gun and the mag.
So how does it shoot, very well, be careful where you fire this gun as it chucks rounds out with a lot of force and they go for miles. The M3 also fires at a high rate which is not accurate as the real thing fired at about 500 RPM but the Hudson really lets fly and fires a mag off very quickly, this of course does help in the sound stakes which is good. Burst fire works well and considering the rate of fire is controllable but if you try to fire less than 4/5 rounds at a time then jams can occur, I put this down to the fact that it does fire fast.
The barrel is open and you get a good amount of smoke coming out of it in fact more than comes out of the breach which is another good point as it helps with the realism.
The bolt is mainly plastic but the face is metal as is the underside of the bolt which strip the rounds off the mag, meaning the bolt is not particularly heavy, however due to the high rate of fire you do get movement out of the gun not quite recoil movement but enough to help the overall effect.
As I said before the rounds stream out of the breach so watch where they go cos they have some force in them and could break stuff as well as dent walls etc but the fact that they do come out fast and furious makes this a great fun shooter and helps you ignore the weight and colour and although light seems solidly built, I have put about 8 mags through it so far and nothing seems worn, damaged or about to This is probably the cheapest modelgun machinegun that is made, under £200 even in the UK break. Cheap and cheerful it might be but it fires well looks like it will last and does not break the bank, yes it does look like a grease gun and the colour is strange but it is fun to fire so for the money well worth it in my book.

Hudson "Grease Gun" M3A1... Read & Post your REVIEWS Here 100_1568
This is a vid of the grease gun, not the best i am afraid reason for that is that every time i fired the gun the rounds hit the camera and turned it off, no matter where i place the camera, as i said the rounds go evrywhere and with force. So i will try to get a better vid at some stage but at least this gives an idea.
https://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v627/claymore/?action=view¤t=greasegun.flv
Back to top Go down
https://mp40modelguns.forumotion.net

Hudson "Grease Gun" M3A1... Read & Post your REVIEWS Here
Page 1 of 1