MP40's Modelguns Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
MP40's Modelguns Forum

International Forum for Modelgun enthusiasts

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

MGC Automag & Chrome Barrel Breakages

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

Number of posts : 11074
Location / Country : North Wales
Registration date : 2008-07-20

MGC Automag & Chrome Barrel Breakages Empty
PostSubject: MGC Automag & Chrome Barrel Breakages   MGC Automag & Chrome Barrel Breakages Icon_minitimeFri Aug 08, 2008 10:54 am

Post by Guest

Hi
I have had serious problems with my mgc automag, the extractor slide assembly keeps breaking on me. It is where the retaining pin goes through to hold the metal extractor.
After a few rounds a chunk of plastic came away from around the pin, i have had 3 spares so far and all have broke the same way, am i doing something wrong or is this just a weak part, anyone know where i can get more spares.

Also mgc chrome 45 barrels, i keep breaking these around where the pin goes through the barrel lug again is it just me or is this a common fault.

markzzr
Back to top Go down
https://mp40modelguns.forumotion.net
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: MGC Automag & Chrome Barrel Breakages   MGC Automag & Chrome Barrel Breakages Icon_minitimeFri Aug 08, 2008 10:55 am

Post by Mark

Hi Markzzr,

Is this one of the earlier automags? ABS or HW? I believe that the earlier versions are somewhat weak in the area that you describe.

Also, what cartridges are you using? (I.E. the first generation piston type or the HW type cartridges)

And how many caps are you using? That is usually the the problem as the velocity of the bolt is increased due to the excessive power.

As the extractor holds on to the cartridge base with a good strong grip and when the cartridge hits the ejector with alot of force it puts alot of strain on the pin boss.

The MGC chrome barrels are unfortunately, are noted for their breakage problems at that point. You must be refering to the earlier Government Model (GM1) not the Govenment Model "5" (GM5)
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: MGC Automag & Chrome Barrel Breakages   MGC Automag & Chrome Barrel Breakages Icon_minitimeFri Aug 08, 2008 10:56 am

Post by Guest

Hi Mark
I have an old model 45 and the new Kimber both have had broken barrels.
I am going to try the black ones as they are supposed to be stronger.

The automag is a heavyweight 4 generation with the black bolt silver body.
I am using just 1 cap and so not oil the cartridge, just a little bit of lub around the seal, the rounds are the new cp type, last time the bolt broke the gun had just gonr full auto on me, a 3 round burst and i knew that mean trouble and it was same place again around the retaining pin. it relly is a weak point seeing how much force is produced from the gun.

I am getting scared of firing now when i put a new bolt in as as these are not made anymore i wonder how many more bolts my supplier will be able to get.

Fingers crossed for the next repair.

markzzr
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: MGC Automag & Chrome Barrel Breakages   MGC Automag & Chrome Barrel Breakages Icon_minitimeFri Aug 08, 2008 10:57 am

Post by Mark

Hi Markzzr,

Cool full auto! Uhhh well, maybe not so cool considering the parts breakage....

That's too bad that the Japanese cannot make the barrels stronger due to their laws so hence the breakage issues...I talked at length with a Japanese friend about the chrome barrel breakage issues he avoids firing the chrome barrels. It's either hydrogen embrittlement or some other complex chemical change that occurs when the barrel is plated that makes them brittle enough to break regulary.

The standard ABS barrels are fairly stronger and are stresed less In my opinion and that is what I prefer to use.

I haven't fired my Automags enough to discover the problem that you describe.

I am going to use an older all zinc bolt in my newer version if my bolt breaks (lots of moddifacation though!)
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: MGC Automag & Chrome Barrel Breakages   MGC Automag & Chrome Barrel Breakages Icon_minitimeFri Aug 08, 2008 10:58 am

Post by radback

mark wrote:
Hi Markzzr,
Cool full auto! Uhhh well, maybe not so cool considering the parts breakage....
It's happen to me once when I tried my broken Beretta M84 (Trigger link is broken), and also one time with the M16 while it was in single shot mode (it's crazy, because when auto mode is selected, it jams Laughing )
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: MGC Automag & Chrome Barrel Breakages   MGC Automag & Chrome Barrel Breakages Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

MGC Automag & Chrome Barrel Breakages
Page 1 of 1