MP40's Modelguns Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
MP40's Modelguns Forum

International Forum for Modelgun enthusiasts

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Wellrod pistol modelgun ?

Go down 
+5
megamicrofish
2Sharp
smootik
Cerwyn
phobus
9 posters
AuthorMessage
phobus
Modelgun Master
Modelgun Master
phobus

Number of posts : 275
Location / Country : Leeds
Registration date : 2008-10-21

Wellrod pistol modelgun ? Empty
PostSubject: Wellrod pistol modelgun ?   Wellrod pistol modelgun ? Icon_minitimeThu Nov 26, 2009 5:50 pm

I have just seen an ad in the latest Gun mart .

As follows :

" orders now being taken for a detailed all metal replica of this most interesting pistol ( arguably the most silent of silenced pistols ) manufactured by time served engineers in the UK . No licence required . £480 "

Page 308 .

I was always fascinated by these pistols having read about them in various WW2 books , and having used them extensively ......

( ..... whilst playing Medal of Honour on the xbox Embarassed ) good gun too , quiet , powerful and effective !! Very Happy

32 acp or 9 mm . Probably too much to expect these will accept cartridges : modelgun or blanks ? but an interesting and most unusual model to find as a replica nevertheless .

Carl. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

Number of posts : 11073
Location / Country : North Wales
Registration date : 2008-07-20

PostSubject: Re: Wellrod pistol modelgun ?   Wellrod pistol modelgun ? Icon_minitimeThu Nov 26, 2009 6:07 pm

Are there any photos in the Ad' please Phobus Wellrod pistol modelgun ? Icon_question

Hobby collector of Replica model guns and Militaria.
also member of Living History Reenactment Groups.
Back to top Go down
https://mp40modelguns.forumotion.net
phobus
Modelgun Master
Modelgun Master
phobus

PostSubject: Re: Wellrod pistol modelgun ?   Wellrod pistol modelgun ? Icon_minitimeThu Nov 26, 2009 6:29 pm

They do have a pic of the pistol on the ad .

I will respond and see if I can get more details from the manufacturer .

I will post the pics when I get them .

Found some superb ones of the " real steel " if anyone is interested in the meantime ?

Carl. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
smootik
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
smootik

Number of posts : 1823
Location / Country : Poland
Registration date : 2009-03-03

PostSubject: Re: Wellrod pistol modelgun ?   Wellrod pistol modelgun ? Icon_minitimeThu Nov 26, 2009 7:11 pm

That's an interesting one! I did not know about Welrod existence before.

Even if it is an ad for a dummy version, it would still make a very nice modelgun. I hope the internals will be done as close to original as the law allows.
Back to top Go down
phobus
Modelgun Master
Modelgun Master
phobus

PostSubject: Re: Wellrod pistol modelgun ?   Wellrod pistol modelgun ? Icon_minitimeThu Nov 26, 2009 7:28 pm

Thanks Smootik ,

Interesting indeed .

I love these covert weapons .

I gather the Welrod was used for assassination purposes , being nearly silent in use . The enemies head , presumably being the last baffle in the silencer ...

I thought it was strictly a single shot weapon - don,t want no slides or actions moving about making lots of noise when the enemy are nearby !

However pics I found shows what looks like a magazine ??

I had imagined a v basic single shot weapon with a large silencer , and thats exactly how the Welrod appears .

Carl. Surprised
Back to top Go down
smootik
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
smootik

Number of posts : 1823
Location / Country : Poland
Registration date : 2009-03-03

PostSubject: Re: Wellrod pistol modelgun ?   Wellrod pistol modelgun ? Icon_minitimeThu Nov 26, 2009 8:44 pm

phobus wrote:
I thought it was strictly a single shot weapon
I was very confused by that, too. Single-shot, but with a multi-round magazine.
As Welrod is bolt-action weapon, maybe someone confused it with single-shot?
Regardless of name, it seems to work just like bolt-action rifles with magazines (Mauser 98k).
Back to top Go down
2Sharp
Modelgun Master
Modelgun Master

Number of posts : 229
Location / Country : The Swedish Kingdom
Registration date : 2008-09-10

PostSubject: Re: Wellrod pistol modelgun ?   Wellrod pistol modelgun ? Icon_minitimeFri Nov 27, 2009 5:36 pm

Ohh, one of my fav. guns!

Here's a good website about it:
http://www.timelapse.dk/Mk.II_IIa.php

The handle is the magazine and you have to manually turn (to unlock) the breech and feed another cartridge into the chamber.

I've handled a few but sadly never fired one. [yet..]
Back to top Go down
megamicrofish
Modelgun Enthusiast
Modelgun Enthusiast

Number of posts : 137
Location / Country : United Kingdom
Registration date : 2009-11-24

PostSubject: Re: Wellrod pistol modelgun ?   Wellrod pistol modelgun ? Icon_minitimeFri Jul 16, 2010 6:54 pm

Interesting website, I never heard of this gun before now.
Sure is one fugley gun though Laughing
Back to top Go down
Ron Walker

Number of posts : 26
Location / Country : Isle of Man
Registration date : 2015-09-03

PostSubject: Re: Wellrod pistol modelgun ?   Wellrod pistol modelgun ? Icon_minitimeMon Sep 14, 2015 12:54 pm

The Welrod remained "on the books" for UK special forces right up until the first Gulf War. Not as elegant a solution as the deLisle carbine - A Thompson barrel, perforated for an integral silencer, mounted on an SMLE stock and lockwork, modified to fire .45" ACP ammunition. Perfect for the quiet removal of sentries, and lethal out to a couple of hundred yards.

The guys who produced the Welrod also came up with the "Welbike", a diminuitive moped-like bike designed to transport clandestine parachutists away from their drop zones. NOT a huge sucess, although it arguably DID result in there being mopeds!

SunHill999 likes this post

Back to top Go down
lampwick
Modelgun Master
Modelgun Master
lampwick

Number of posts : 359
Location / Country : UK
Registration date : 2008-09-11

PostSubject: Enjoy   Wellrod pistol modelgun ? Icon_minitimeTue Sep 15, 2015 1:13 pm

Bought out of it's resting place in the sock drawer for umpteen years. Quite rare in that it's a MkII chambered for 9mm which was usually found in the later MkI (yes I know, confusing isn't it?)
Wellrod pistol modelgun ? DSC01383_zpsgkafram7
Wellrod pistol modelgun ? DSC01384_zpspopzcuti
Wellrod pistol modelgun ? DSC01387_zpsg6y4lj41
Wellrod pistol modelgun ? DSC01385_zpsfmytuso4
Wellrod pistol modelgun ? DSC01386_zpshic7slbw
Wellrod pistol modelgun ? DSC01389_zpsujp463gh
Wellrod pistol modelgun ? DSC01382_zpsq6vpjiwm

Back to top Go down
claymore
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist

Number of posts : 1233
Location / Country : London
Registration date : 2008-09-07

PostSubject: Re: Wellrod pistol modelgun ?   Wellrod pistol modelgun ? Icon_minitimeTue Sep 15, 2015 1:25 pm

Was it actually ever used? and was it any good, not just silent but reliable?
Back to top Go down
lampwick
Modelgun Master
Modelgun Master
lampwick

PostSubject: Re: Wellrod pistol modelgun ?   Wellrod pistol modelgun ? Icon_minitimeTue Sep 15, 2015 1:39 pm

Forgot to add that it is an all steel replica.
Back to top Go down
Ron Walker

PostSubject: Re: Wellrod pistol modelgun ?   Wellrod pistol modelgun ? Icon_minitimeTue Sep 15, 2015 3:23 pm

2Sharp wrote:
Ohh, one of my fav. guns!

Here's a good website about it:
http://www.timelapse.dk/Mk.II_IIa.php

The handle is the magazine and you have to manually turn (to unlock) the breech and feed another cartridge into the chamber.

I've handled a few but sadly never fired one. [yet..]

One pretty obvious error however: S.O.,E. were pretty insistant about their comma! They were "Special Operations, Executive." (The comma makes the "Executive" an adjective, rather than a noun.) The Timelapse website has carelessly and repeatedly LEFT OUT THEIR COMMA!

Back to top Go down
pitfighter
Modelgun Master
Modelgun Master
pitfighter

Number of posts : 616
Location / Country : Hollywood, California

PostSubject: Re: Wellrod pistol modelgun ?   Wellrod pistol modelgun ? Icon_minitimeThu Sep 24, 2015 8:01 am

Nice replica, Lampwick - very interesting -
Thanks for the pics of it in disassembly.

Any info. on whether that company are still making them - ?
Back to top Go down
lampwick
Modelgun Master
Modelgun Master
lampwick

PostSubject: Re: Wellrod pistol modelgun ?   Wellrod pistol modelgun ? Icon_minitimeThu Sep 24, 2015 1:54 pm

It's a one off that a chap I met at a Militaria show made. He contacted me after to say that he'd made one and was I interested? What do you think? It may be for sale (in the UK, sorry) later as I'm after a rather expensive German Dress Dagger and need to free up some cash.
Back to top Go down
Ron Walker

PostSubject: Re: Wellrod pistol modelgun ?   Wellrod pistol modelgun ? Icon_minitimeFri Sep 25, 2015 2:45 am

An interesting alternative might be the QSPR., designed in-theatre for use by American "Tunnel Rats" in Vietnam.Underground, you navigate almost as much with your ears as with your eyes... firing a .45" standard issue M1911 would leave you temporarily blind and deaf. Stick a surpressor onto the front of the (already long) M1911, and it becomes impractically ponderous.The solution they came up with was.... silent ammunition!!! You start with a large frame revolver. You load it with what amount to "Plug Fire Caps", which you've had especially made. When the hammer drops onto the primer, the main charge goes off... and drives forward a piston, ahead of which sit several heavy balls (either steel or lead) The piston drives forward for the full length of the cartridge, where it meets a "crimp", which brings it to an abrupt halt - with the expanded gas still trapped behind it. The rapid forward movement of the piston has propelled the spherical projectile(s) forward, through the short, smooth-bore barrel. QSPR = Quiet Special Purpose Revolver.

Wellrod pistol modelgun ? 52135

Back to top Go down
pitfighter
Modelgun Master
Modelgun Master
pitfighter

Number of posts : 616
Location / Country : Hollywood, California

PostSubject: Re: Wellrod pistol modelgun ?   Wellrod pistol modelgun ? Icon_minitimeFri Sep 25, 2015 9:24 am

Some simunition works in a similar way.
A miniature piston, just two inches of movement, but enough to cycle an AR, or MP5 with reduced pressure springs.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Wellrod pistol modelgun ?   Wellrod pistol modelgun ? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Wellrod pistol modelgun ?
Page 1 of 1