MP40's Modelguns Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
MP40's Modelguns Forum

International Forum for Modelgun enthusiasts

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Just received my MGC M3 grease gun and have some questions about parts (pics added)

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Kerland

Number of posts : 45
Location / Country : United States
Registration date : 2010-02-22

mgc grease gun - Just received my MGC M3 grease gun and have some questions about parts (pics added) Empty
PostSubject: Just received my MGC M3 grease gun and have some questions about parts (pics added)   mgc grease gun - Just received my MGC M3 grease gun and have some questions about parts (pics added) Icon_minitimeTue Aug 27, 2013 10:10 pm

I just purchased a MGC "grease gun".  I knew there was a steel Hudson model but was surprised that MGC had made one.  

It arrived today with its' original box and, oddly enough, a bag holding the dummy cartridges that was marked "MGC guns and accessories bond corner".  I'm wondering if that was an early precursor to their "Bond Shop".

And speaking of Bond the strange thing is that the bag is essentially a print of newspaper clippings about Goldfinger and James Bond.  I'm wondering if this MGC M3 was billed as a James Bond gun originally even though I don't remember M3's featuring in the movie at all.  Does anyone know?

The model is slightly smaller than the Hudson which I expected.  The good news is it seems to have most of its' parts with the exception of the cocking lever.  My hope is that I can manufacture one to get it working.  What I'm wondering is how this all goes together (all the parts were packed outside of the receiver) and what if any other pieces I'm missing other than the cocking lever.

I know there is another photo thread on the MGC M3 but I'm hoping that if anyone physically has one of these replicas they can tell me what pieces I am missing and also the actual dimensions of the cocking lever so that I can make an accurate copy and as well how everything actually fits together.

Pictures will go up tonight.  I was just too excited to wait about posting about the "new edition"!!!!

Last edited by Kerland on Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
pitfighter
Modelgun Master
Modelgun Master
pitfighter

Number of posts : 616
Location / Country : Hollywood, California
Registration date : 2008-09-07

mgc grease gun - Just received my MGC M3 grease gun and have some questions about parts (pics added) Empty
PostSubject: Re: Just received my MGC M3 grease gun and have some questions about parts (pics added)   mgc grease gun - Just received my MGC M3 grease gun and have some questions about parts (pics added) Icon_minitimeWed Aug 28, 2013 7:53 pm

Great - looking forward to seeing it.

Some grease guns had no cocking lever, you literally put your finger into an indent on the bolt - I am sure you know this.

Check the internet movie firearms database for the Bond guns, they are all heavily researched over there.

Pit.
Back to top Go down
Kerland

PostSubject: Re: Just received my MGC M3 grease gun and have some questions about parts (pics added)   mgc grease gun - Just received my MGC M3 grease gun and have some questions about parts (pics added) Icon_minitimeThu Aug 29, 2013 5:47 pm

Strangely, this James Bond "paper bag" marked MGC came with it. I have no idea what the connection is with this replica or if it came with the actual James Bond PPK and just got mistakenly stuck in with this replica instead.

mgc grease gun - Just received my MGC M3 grease gun and have some questions about parts (pics added) Img_0011mgc grease gun - Just received my MGC M3 grease gun and have some questions about parts (pics added) Img_0012mgc grease gun - Just received my MGC M3 grease gun and have some questions about parts (pics added) Img_0013mgc grease gun - Just received my MGC M3 grease gun and have some questions about parts (pics added) Img_0014mgc grease gun - Just received my MGC M3 grease gun and have some questions about parts (pics added) Img_0015

Last edited by Kerland on Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Kerland

PostSubject: Re: Just received my MGC M3 grease gun and have some questions about parts (pics added)   mgc grease gun - Just received my MGC M3 grease gun and have some questions about parts (pics added) Icon_minitimeThu Aug 29, 2013 5:49 pm

mgc grease gun - Just received my MGC M3 grease gun and have some questions about parts (pics added) Img_0017mgc grease gun - Just received my MGC M3 grease gun and have some questions about parts (pics added) Img_0018mgc grease gun - Just received my MGC M3 grease gun and have some questions about parts (pics added) Img_0019
Back to top Go down
pitfighter
Modelgun Master
Modelgun Master
pitfighter

PostSubject: Re: Just received my MGC M3 grease gun and have some questions about parts (pics added)   mgc grease gun - Just received my MGC M3 grease gun and have some questions about parts (pics added) Icon_minitimeThu Aug 29, 2013 5:51 pm

That is very cool - yes you are missing the lever -
You might try Sarco for a real one, might fit with a little altering.

I really want to find a Greasegun like yours - but, the metal ones are rare.
I had one of the Valkerie arms ones, but it was just awful unfortunately and that long barrel.
Back to top Go down
Kerland

PostSubject: Re: Just received my MGC M3 grease gun and have some questions about parts (pics added)   mgc grease gun - Just received my MGC M3 grease gun and have some questions about parts (pics added) Icon_minitimeThu Aug 29, 2013 5:57 pm

Yes, the lever def. isn't there. As well I'm not sure what that small square piece with a round hole is for and I'm not sure where the spring and the winding mechanism go. As well the trigger is loose inside so I would assume there is some sort of spring (perhaps the one in the pictures) that would hold it forward.

In any event, I understand the principle of the mechanism I'm just not sure how it actually works.

I see the photos of the parts I have to go with it have not loaded yet so I will try those again.

Pitfiter, thanks for the Sarco suggestion. Because the model is undersized it might be a problem but then again it may be the perfect solution with some fitting. Certainly easier than fabricating something.
Back to top Go down
Kerland

PostSubject: Re: Just received my MGC M3 grease gun and have some questions about parts (pics added)   mgc grease gun - Just received my MGC M3 grease gun and have some questions about parts (pics added) Icon_minitimeThu Aug 29, 2013 5:58 pm

mgc grease gun - Just received my MGC M3 grease gun and have some questions about parts (pics added) Img_0026

These are the only parts with it.  Ideas on how to assemble? And what's missing?
Back to top Go down
Kerland

PostSubject: Re: Just received my MGC M3 grease gun and have some questions about parts (pics added)   mgc grease gun - Just received my MGC M3 grease gun and have some questions about parts (pics added) Icon_minitimeThu Aug 29, 2013 6:03 pm

mgc grease gun - Just received my MGC M3 grease gun and have some questions about parts (pics added) Img_0029mgc grease gun - Just received my MGC M3 grease gun and have some questions about parts (pics added) Img_0030mgc grease gun - Just received my MGC M3 grease gun and have some questions about parts (pics added) Img_0027
mgc grease gun - Just received my MGC M3 grease gun and have some questions about parts (pics added) Img_0028
Back to top Go down
Kerland

PostSubject: Re: Just received my MGC M3 grease gun and have some questions about parts (pics added)   mgc grease gun - Just received my MGC M3 grease gun and have some questions about parts (pics added) Icon_minitimeThu Aug 29, 2013 6:04 pm

mgc grease gun - Just received my MGC M3 grease gun and have some questions about parts (pics added) Img_0032

And lastly, the box!
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

Number of posts : 11073
Location / Country : North Wales
Registration date : 2008-07-20

PostSubject: Re: Just received my MGC M3 grease gun and have some questions about parts (pics added)   mgc grease gun - Just received my MGC M3 grease gun and have some questions about parts (pics added) Icon_minitimeFri Aug 30, 2013 3:29 pm

Hi Kerland,

The MGC Grease Gun M3 operates on a "clockwork" wind-up spring system. The charging handle is turned to tension up the long coil spring. Squeezing the trigger allows the spring to throw the bolt backwards and forwards.
Videos that may prove useful are these:

Hobby collector of Replica model guns and Militaria.
also member of Living History Reenactment Groups.
Back to top Go down
https://mp40modelguns.forumotion.net Online
Kerland

PostSubject: Re: Just received my MGC M3 grease gun and have some questions about parts (pics added)   mgc grease gun - Just received my MGC M3 grease gun and have some questions about parts (pics added) Icon_minitimeFri Aug 30, 2013 4:00 pm

Cerwyn:

Thank you as always. Those really do help a lot. It appears that I'm only missing the cocking lever and Pitfighter suggested that I might be able to get a real one and modify...

I'm still not actually sure how that winding "spring" fits into the receiver and connects with the trigger. If anyone has any ideas I'm all ears.

Thanks!
Back to top Go down
pitfighter
Modelgun Master
Modelgun Master
pitfighter

PostSubject: Re: Just received my MGC M3 grease gun and have some questions about parts (pics added)   mgc grease gun - Just received my MGC M3 grease gun and have some questions about parts (pics added) Icon_minitimeFri Aug 30, 2013 4:31 pm

That is too cool - I have never seen or heard of those.

Kerland - you ought to save your money and see if you cannot get someone to fabricate one of those for you - it looks like a very simple key and handle.

Clearly nothing like the original cocking lever on the inside.

Those are pretty fun looking for sure.

They would actually be pretty good for film - if anyone has one for sale please PM me.

With a SOG era silencer on it, you could have a pretty cool sequence.

Awesome links Cerwyn.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Just received my MGC M3 grease gun and have some questions about parts (pics added)   mgc grease gun - Just received my MGC M3 grease gun and have some questions about parts (pics added) Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Just received my MGC M3 grease gun and have some questions about parts (pics added)
Page 1 of 1