MP40's Modelguns Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
MP40's Modelguns Forum

International Forum for Modelgun enthusiasts

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

VCRA Blues .....

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
phobus
Modelgun Master
Modelgun Master
phobus

Number of posts : 275
Location / Country : Leeds
Registration date : 2008-10-21

VCRA Blues ..... Empty
PostSubject: VCRA Blues .....   VCRA Blues ..... Icon_minitimeFri Jul 11, 2014 3:40 pm

Redwolf UK airsoft refused to sell to me today because the item I wanted was not from the WW2 Era which is my reenactment era .

When I enquired first - by email -  they said they " could " deal provided it was face to face ??

OK - so it would cost me £100 and a full day travelling  for a day rail  return but I was thinking about it , but thought I would ring them first .

They then told me above stating that only items from my re enactment era could be sold to me , nothing outside that era  Sad 

I have bought from several UK dealers with no issues (   landwarrior / action hobbies / fire support / patrol base + of course MG - Props )  no such issues - no such additional stipulations .

I asked the salesman if he could direct me to the part of the act which stipulates the above conditions but he was unable to , but merely stated he knew it to be true .

My understanding was membership of a re enactment group with legit documentation entitled me to buy / own RIFs - period . No smallprint - no conditions and I have acted as such since having my clearance documentation with no issues .

Can any of the members on here help with this or advise me if I am in error here ?

I would hate to think that I am as most of my collection is way outside WW2 era anyway  scratch 

Rolling Eyes 

Carl.
Back to top Go down
akazz
Modelgun Enthusiast
Modelgun Enthusiast

Number of posts : 73
Location / Country : uk
Registration date : 2012-08-09

VCRA Blues ..... Empty
PostSubject: Re: VCRA Blues .....   VCRA Blues ..... Icon_minitimeFri Jul 11, 2014 6:39 pm

If you have a defense under the VCR act there are no further conditions of sale so proof of reenactment society membership is all you legally need, a lot of problems arise when retailers/employees do not understand the act or interpret it in they're own way,
What i would do is insist on speaking to the manager and quoting the act word for word etc etc, a low level employee answering the phones likely knows nothing about the law and wont listen anyway,

failing that take your business else were if possible, ive had alsorts of problems with retailers including one that wouldnt exept letterheaded letters off 2 film companys, my insurance certificate and a letter off my local constabulary confirming i would need the item for film,

hope you get sorted
Back to top Go down
phobus
Modelgun Master
Modelgun Master
phobus

VCRA Blues ..... Empty
PostSubject: Re: VCRA Blues .....   VCRA Blues ..... Icon_minitimeSat Jul 12, 2014 11:21 am

Thanks Akazz

I have been doing some research on this and intend getting in touch with the Redwolf UK manager soon .

MG-Props have been useful with their disclaimer :

UK LAW VCRA :

25th line down :

" There is no mention in the VCR Bill that re-enactors are limited to era specific replica guns "

I was particularly irritated by the salesman changing his tack from :

" Face to face sales only "

to - " Only era specific replicas may be sold "

I was hoping maybe one of the moderators on here might be able to assist with this ?

Carl
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

Number of posts : 11073
Location / Country : North Wales
Registration date : 2008-07-20

VCRA Blues ..... Empty
PostSubject: Re: VCRA Blues .....   VCRA Blues ..... Icon_minitimeSat Jul 12, 2014 1:43 pm

Redwolf UK and Hong Kong both refused to sell me an Airsoft pistol because I'm not on UKARAs data base. I'm not a registered airsoft skirmisher, have no real desire to be one, so not eligible for UKARA registration.
They both refused to accept my Reenactor status despite my attempts to explain I am legally entitled to purchase and import RIFs

Back in 2007, shortly after the introduction of the VCRA, DOC brought up the subject of Reenactors buying RIFs that were not compatible with their chosen era. There wasn't any real understanding of the VCRA, could a WW2 reenactor buy an MP5 or AK47? As it's the Sellers neck on the line the likelihood that some dealers would play safe and refuse to sell was going to be a possibility.
This fear of falling foul of the VCRA is obviously still there. Redwolf are being un necessarily over cautious but it is their prerogative I'm afraid.

Sadly, Redwolf have lost me as a regular customer, but there are other Airsoft dealers about that interpret the VCRA with a bit more sense. 

Hobby collector of Replica model guns and Militaria.
also member of Living History Reenactment Groups.
Back to top Go down
https://mp40modelguns.forumotion.net
phobus
Modelgun Master
Modelgun Master
phobus

VCRA Blues ..... Empty
PostSubject: Re: VCRA Blues .....   VCRA Blues ..... Icon_minitimeSat Jul 12, 2014 3:01 pm

Thanks Cerwyn

Interesting stuff .

I sent a letter to the Manager and emailed him too - quoting UKARA / VCRA stuff from their OWN website .

Here :

" Who are the eligible purchasers?

The only groups of persons now allowed to purchase RiF's are Film,TV, Museums, Theatres, Crown Servants, and persons engaged in Re-enactment activities, and airsoft skirmishing. All these purchasers must be over 18 years of age.

What must Re-enactment people and Airsoft players do to show the are bona fidi?

Both these groups must show that their activities are covered by third party liability insurance and that they are over 18, in the case of Airsoft Players they must also show that they are regular players at an accredited game site. Which means they must be a member of a game site with the appropriate Airsoft Insurance cover. "

They do not seem to be in any hurry to answer me - I merely asked to be directed to the part of the VCRA act which restricts what I may and may not buy ? The Era specific stipulation which they are quoting at me ?

I seem to have had more success than yourself in that they did not flat refuse to sell to me - only to apply their own interpretation of what models they may sell .

On a separate note I have now been refused a sale from a modelgun dealer - Not MG-Props -  again on a technicality - despite my membership of a legitimate and insured re enactment society with paperwork to prove this .

Carl.

BTW : Cerwyn , whatever happened to Doc ?
Back to top Go down
akazz
Modelgun Enthusiast
Modelgun Enthusiast

Number of posts : 73
Location / Country : uk
Registration date : 2012-08-09

VCRA Blues ..... Empty
PostSubject: Re: VCRA Blues .....   VCRA Blues ..... Icon_minitimeSat Jul 12, 2014 5:35 pm

its such a nuisance when retailers miss interpret the law, its usualy handy to have a friend who airsofts as everyones keen to sell to people with a UKARA number. (not that i see how running around playing soldiers with toy guns gives you any more right to own blank firers/modelguns than anyone else)
Back to top Go down
JohnnyV
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
JohnnyV

Number of posts : 552
Location / Country : Cambridgeshire UK
Registration date : 2009-08-24

VCRA Blues ..... Empty
PostSubject: Re: VCRA Blues .....   VCRA Blues ..... Icon_minitimeSat Jul 12, 2014 6:17 pm

Quote :
On a separate note I have now been refused a sale from a modelgun dealer - Not MG-Props -  again on a technicality - despite my membership of a legitimate and insured re enactment society with paperwork to prove this .
Out of interest (no obligation to tell at all  Very Happy ) what was the technicality ?? seems weird
Back to top Go down
phobus
Modelgun Master
Modelgun Master
phobus

VCRA Blues ..... Empty
PostSubject: Re: VCRA Blues .....   VCRA Blues ..... Icon_minitimeSat Jul 12, 2014 7:30 pm

JohnnyV wrote:
Quote :
Out of interest (no obligation to tell at all  Very Happy ) what was the technicality ?? seems weird

Well John , suffice to say despite my paperwork saying I am an active UK re enactor - Its not " active " enough for some people - hence the refusal .

Its no matter - I have other irons in the fire .

Annoying though for sure - also no reply from Redwolf - I guess thats their prerogative .

Carl
Back to top Go down
muzzleflash
Modelgun Enthusiast
Modelgun Enthusiast

Number of posts : 230
Location / Country : Northants, UK
Registration date : 2013-12-01

VCRA Blues ..... Empty
PostSubject: Re: VCRA Blues .....   VCRA Blues ..... Icon_minitimeSun Jul 13, 2014 3:03 am

All of it, is utterly ridiculous when you consider the fact you can go out and buy a 'RIF', that shoots steel BB's (and will actually harm someone relatively speaking) because they come under the 'Airgun' clarification - though that is just a convenient way of 'skirting' the VCRA for many. I have many of the KWC C02 steel BB pistols as an example and the excellent 'Mini Uzi' - all bought without the need for VCRA defence. I bought my ASG Sten MkII AEG under similar circumstances, as the vendor sold it in a similar fashion. So, Blank guns, Airsoft and PFC firers al, come under the VCRA. Buy a steel BB shooting gun and you're ok. Even the Police have said the VCRA is "unenforeceable"...
Back to top Go down
muzzleflash
Modelgun Enthusiast
Modelgun Enthusiast

VCRA Blues ..... Empty
PostSubject: Re: VCRA Blues .....   VCRA Blues ..... Icon_minitimeSun Jul 13, 2014 3:18 am

akazz wrote:
its such a nuisance when retailers miss interpret the law, its usualy handy to have a friend who airsofts as everyones keen to sell to people with a UKARA number. (not that i see how running around playing soldiers with toy guns gives you any more right to own blank firers/modelguns than anyone else)

Agreed - and a further reason why the VCRA is 'poppycock' imo. Many PFC vendors of course will sell to UKARA Members; though how many UKARA Members are true 'Purists' is open to debate. I draw the line at calling the majority of Airsoft guns 'toys' though. The Marushin 'plastic' MP40 is more a toy in my book, than my full metal 3.3kg SRC Airsoft (I don't care about the 'internals', when the exterior speaks for itself!), but that's a different debate. Put a 'full metal' Marushin PFC MP40 in my hand weighing 4.7kg, now there's something else...

As an aside, a friend of mine tried recently to buy an MGC68 MP40 (with his UKARA defence) that had, had the 9mm Winmag Blank conversion. The vendor said he would only sell to bone fide 'Re-enactors' and not Airsofters on principle - regardless of the law! So, that's a good thing in my book. East is East and West is West as Kipling said (metaphorically speaking!)...

Last edited by muzzleflash on Sun Jul 13, 2014 3:44 am; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
muzzleflash
Modelgun Enthusiast
Modelgun Enthusiast

VCRA Blues ..... Empty
PostSubject: Re: VCRA Blues .....   VCRA Blues ..... Icon_minitimeSun Jul 13, 2014 3:30 am

Cerwyn wrote:

Sadly, Redwolf have lost me as a regular customer, but there are other Airsoft dealers about that interpret the VCRA with a bit more sense. 

Indeed so, usually those that are legite Firearms, Shotgun and Airgun vendors, that also sell a few Airsofts as well. Pure Airsoft vendors are usually a bit naive and need a 'push' in the general direction...

Though of course, many responsible 'collectors' (who are generally shunned by the VCRA), just buy an Airsoft painted and then apply the 'Fairy Power Spray' technique...
Back to top Go down
muzzleflash
Modelgun Enthusiast
Modelgun Enthusiast

VCRA Blues ..... Empty
PostSubject: Re: VCRA Blues .....   VCRA Blues ..... Icon_minitimeSun Jul 13, 2014 4:19 am

phobus wrote:
When I enquired first - by email -  they said they " could " deal provided it was face to face ??

This would suggest that (as other's do) they were prepared to 'deal' on the basis of the 'Airgun' laws; but then reneged???? Why so I wonder!!??
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

VCRA Blues ..... Empty
PostSubject: Re: VCRA Blues .....   VCRA Blues ..... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

VCRA Blues .....
Page 1 of 1