MP40's Modelguns Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
MP40's Modelguns Forum

International Forum for Modelgun enthusiasts

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Real Steel Colt Triangular Grips on Marushin M16A1

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

Number of posts : 11073
Location / Country : North Wales
Registration date : 2008-07-20

Real Steel Colt Triangular Grips on Marushin M16A1 Empty
PostSubject: Real Steel Colt Triangular Grips on Marushin M16A1   Real Steel Colt Triangular Grips on Marushin M16A1 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 22, 2008 9:20 am

Post by adiaz

I don't want to beat a dead horse. However I thought you all may want to know and perhaps offer me your help.
I purchased real steel triangular handgrips for my Marushin M16A1 based on answers they would fit on a previous post of mine. I purchased "genuine" Colt brand trianular "vintage" new old stock handgrips.
I couldn't wait to open my package when the mailman delivered them. I could finally solve my disapointment of having my M16A1 with the "ill" fitting, "poor" feel triangular grips that came with my Marushin model.
I tore into the box and wow!!! Brand new Colt Left and Right hand halves of brand spanking new triangular grips. Each in their own Colt sealed plastic sleeves.
I tore into those bags and got a feeling of excitement. I was thinking, "this is it!" the best $30 I ever spent. I compared each half to it's Marushin counterpart and thought to myself there is no comparison in look and feel. But then Whammo!!! It hit me! I compared the lengths and much to my shigrin the colt grips were a bit longer. almost a full 1/4 of an inch longer. Then i said heck I'll give a try regardless.
Needles to say they didn't fit!
A few curse words and an emotional downward slide later. It came to me. No worries I thought! I would just unthread my barrel a bit and then it may go...... Well No way!
I completely unthread the barrel then rethreaded it in to just one fuill revolution thinking this would solve my problem.
Well it didn't do it for me. I was still about 1/16 of an inch too short.
Well now what????
Any ideas?
Can I extend this barrel somehow?
HELP!!!!!
Back to top Go down
https://mp40modelguns.forumotion.net
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: Real Steel Colt Triangular Grips on Marushin M16A1   Real Steel Colt Triangular Grips on Marushin M16A1 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 22, 2008 9:20 am

Post by richard jones

Sorry to hear about your problem-i was also looking for some original ones as im fed up with the crappy original Marushin ones.

Im a bit confused though when you say real steel????????????,I thought originals were some sort of abs/fibreglass??

Thanks
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: Real Steel Colt Triangular Grips on Marushin M16A1   Real Steel Colt Triangular Grips on Marushin M16A1 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 22, 2008 9:21 am

Post by Mark

Hi Adiaz,

That's depressing to hear that you can't fit the real handguards on your Marushin M16A1. I too, have a set of the Colt M16A1 handguards for my(as yet unbuilt) Marushin M16A1.

It is strange why Marushin decided to make their M16A1 handguards shorter than the real M16's. Extending the barrel sounds like the fix that you need. However, the threads on any possible extension will need to be metric to work. Perhaps re-threaded steel plumbers pipe etc. Or, just hacksaw the barrel just ahead of the threads and press fit fit either end into a piece of pipe with perhaps some epoxy or setscrews to hold the barrel halves in place.

MGC MP40 Marushin MP40 Nakata MP40 TRC MP40

Modelgun manufacturers, past and present:CMC,CAW,Hudson,HWS,LS,MGC(R.I.P. 1960's~2007) Marushin,Marui,Kokusai,Shoei,Tanaka and Western Arms
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: Real Steel Colt Triangular Grips on Marushin M16A1   Real Steel Colt Triangular Grips on Marushin M16A1 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 22, 2008 9:22 am

Post by MadMike

That´s bad news! However I am quite sure that this problem can be solved. I guess Mark´s suggestion, using a re-threaded steel plumbers pipe or someting similar is the way to go. But be careful that the threads are clean and fit well, otherwise you will ruin the threads on the receiver and front sight as these are made out of weak Magnesium alloy. Maybe you will need skilled help, but it shouldn´t be a problem for a skilled machinist with the right equipment. For the machinists here in Germany tools are available everywhere as we use the metric system anyway.
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: Real Steel Colt Triangular Grips on Marushin M16A1   Real Steel Colt Triangular Grips on Marushin M16A1 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 22, 2008 9:22 am

Post by 8ace

Is it possible to unscrew the front sight from the barrel (at the triangle plate joint) to give you the extra needed?
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: Real Steel Colt Triangular Grips on Marushin M16A1   Real Steel Colt Triangular Grips on Marushin M16A1 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 22, 2008 9:24 am

Post by Doc

Richard "real Steel " is just the expression to refer to a real firearm as apposed to model/airsoft/replica

I was just speaking to someone who has fitted "real steel" ones to a marushin, I`ll get the full SP and post it here , from what I heard there was no special problem .

Update :

Apparently the trick is to extend the distance between the long barrel part and the foresight by adding a 2-3 mm washer between the barrel and triangualr steel plate , this should then allow just enough thread on the opposite end to screw into the part protruding from the receiver and tighten with the locknut and give enough overall length to fit the Colt hanguards.

DOC

.... well anything mechanical that can kill people is interesting ...
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: Real Steel Colt Triangular Grips on Marushin M16A1   Real Steel Colt Triangular Grips on Marushin M16A1 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 22, 2008 9:24 am

Post by adiaz

My Question Is this?

Is there anyone in the forum or anyone know of a machinist that would be capable of making a replacement barrel section (which is part number 11 in the assembly maual) that could manufacture a replacement whic would be 4.76 mm longer lan the original?
I am willing to pay for this service.
The idea of using washers to extend the area of the triangular plate section would work. AHowever my fear is that too little of both sides would be threaded and may weaken the integrity and strength of the barrel.
So if someone could machine an exact copy just increase the length by 4.76mm the problem would be solved.
Thanks
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: Real Steel Colt Triangular Grips on Marushin M16A1   Real Steel Colt Triangular Grips on Marushin M16A1 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 22, 2008 9:25 am

Post by Spencerman

Is it possible to shorten the handguards at all? Maybe just shave a little bit off them will allow for the barrel to unscrew enough to accomodate it?
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: Real Steel Colt Triangular Grips on Marushin M16A1   Real Steel Colt Triangular Grips on Marushin M16A1 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 22, 2008 9:26 am

Post by adiaz

Shortening the handgrips would not be possible. The entire demension is of different size. Apparently the Marushin is not a full 1:1 scale replica.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Real Steel Colt Triangular Grips on Marushin M16A1   Real Steel Colt Triangular Grips on Marushin M16A1 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Real Steel Colt Triangular Grips on Marushin M16A1
Page 1 of 1