MP40's Modelguns Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
MP40's Modelguns Forum

International Forum for Modelgun enthusiasts

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

UZI wooden stock (type 4).

Go down 
+6
8ace
kickback
Cerwyn
claymore
Richard Jones
smootik
10 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
smootik
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
smootik

Number of posts : 1823
Location / Country : Poland
Registration date : 2009-03-03

UZI wooden stock (type 4). Empty
PostSubject: UZI wooden stock (type 4).   UZI wooden stock (type 4). Icon_minitimeTue Mar 03, 2009 6:40 pm

Greetings everybody,

After a bit of break and quiet period I reignited my interest in this hobby ;-) A few days ago I found a beautiful wooden UZI stock locally, and didn't hesitate about it at all. It should be a great complement to the modelgun! I'll try to post photos after I get it. If someone is interested, the guy I bought it from said he might have another one.

Update 1:
The first surprise was that... the stock does not fit. Caliper helped to find the culprit - hole in the back of Marushin UZI body is too small, as it has 12mm diameter while the bolt on wooden stock is 12.5mm. Funny. A bit of grinding on the stock will be required to make it fit. It's interesting that the size of hole for screw in the collapsed stock (Type 5) is also 12.5mm, so it looks like Marushin just made too small hole in their body.

Last edited by smootik on Sun Jun 28, 2009 7:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Richard Jones
Modelgun Enthusiast
Modelgun Enthusiast

Number of posts : 134
Location / Country : North Wales
Registration date : 2008-09-09

PostSubject: Re: UZI wooden stock (type 4).   UZI wooden stock (type 4). Icon_minitimeThu May 07, 2009 1:37 pm

Ive just had the same problem and should have asked first Evil or Very Mad

Just bought an original wooden Uzi stock and yep it doesnt fit as the hole in the Uzi itself is too small.

Before i start grinding the stock itself is it guaranteed to fit afterwards?

Many Thanks
Back to top Go down
claymore
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist

Number of posts : 1239
Location / Country : London
Registration date : 2008-09-07

PostSubject: Re: UZI wooden stock (type 4).   UZI wooden stock (type 4). Icon_minitimeThu May 07, 2009 3:18 pm

yep should do i have a real stock as well and the same problem it now fits little bit of a gapbetween frame and stock but nothing to write home about
Back to top Go down
Richard Jones
Modelgun Enthusiast
Modelgun Enthusiast

PostSubject: Re: UZI wooden stock (type 4).   UZI wooden stock (type 4). Icon_minitimeThu May 07, 2009 3:32 pm

claymore wrote:
yep should do i have a real stock as well and the same problem it now fits little bit of a gapbetween frame and stock but nothing to write home about

Was it an easy job-easy enough for a dumbass like myslef?? Sad Sad

Did you use a file or a bench grinding wheel or something?

Also had a look at my stock and couldnt find any markings at all to try to id what country it was from?

Many Thanks
Back to top Go down
claymore
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist

Number of posts : 1239
Location / Country : London
Registration date : 2008-09-07

PostSubject: Re: UZI wooden stock (type 4).   UZI wooden stock (type 4). Icon_minitimeThu May 07, 2009 5:58 pm

Yes mate it was real easy i got kickback to do, so simple Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Richard Jones
Modelgun Enthusiast
Modelgun Enthusiast

PostSubject: Re: UZI wooden stock (type 4).   UZI wooden stock (type 4). Icon_minitimeThu May 07, 2009 9:13 pm

claymore wrote:

Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Sad Sad
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

Number of posts : 11076
Registration date : 2008-07-20

PostSubject: Re: UZI wooden stock (type 4).   UZI wooden stock (type 4). Icon_minitimeSun Jun 28, 2009 7:16 pm

Where's the best place to get hold of one of these Wooden UZI stocks please Question

I've seen one here http://www.robertrtg.com/uzi.html for US$39 but haven't followed up on it yet thinking you lads might know a better source Wink

Thanks in advance

Hobby collector of Replica model guns and Militaria.
also member of Living History Reenactment Groups.
Back to top Go down
https://mp40modelguns.forumotion.net
Richard Jones
Modelgun Enthusiast
Modelgun Enthusiast

PostSubject: Re: UZI wooden stock (type 4).   UZI wooden stock (type 4). Icon_minitimeSun Jun 28, 2009 9:24 pm

Cerwyn wrote:
Where's the best place to get hold of one of these Wooden UZI stocks please Question

I've seen one here http://www.robertrtg.com/uzi.html for US$39 but haven't followed up on it yet thinking you lads might know a better source Wink

Thanks in advance

Cerwyn i might be tempted to sell mine if you cannot find one anywhere else as to be honest im crap at anything that involves using tools so probably best i dont touch it!!!
Back to top Go down
smootik
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
smootik

PostSubject: Re: UZI wooden stock (type 4).   UZI wooden stock (type 4). Icon_minitimeSun Jun 28, 2009 10:08 pm

claymore wrote:

kickback,

How did you do it? :-)
Filing the part using just a file in a hand, or using some other tool?
I am trying to find out if I should mess with it myself, or find a person with proper tools for the job.
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: UZI wooden stock (type 4).   UZI wooden stock (type 4). Icon_minitimeMon Jun 29, 2009 11:05 am

Richard Jones wrote:
Cerwyn wrote:

Thanks in advance

Cerwyn i might be tempted to sell mine if you cannot find one anywhere else as to be honest im crap at anything that involves using tools so probably best i dont touch it!!!

Thanks Richard Wink I'll keep in touch then. Could you PM me an idea of price please Question If the price is right and nothing else turns up I might well take you up on that, thank you Smile

I'm away for a couple of weeks as from this Friday though.

Back to top Go down
Richard Jones
Modelgun Enthusiast
Modelgun Enthusiast

PostSubject: Re: UZI wooden stock (type 4).   UZI wooden stock (type 4). Icon_minitimeMon Jun 29, 2009 5:19 pm

Cerwyn wrote:
Richard Jones wrote:
Cerwyn wrote:

Thanks in advance

Thanks Richard Wink I'll keep in touch then. Could you PM me an idea of price please Question If the price is right and nothing else turns up I might well take you up on that, thank you Smile

I'm away for a couple of weeks as from this Friday though.

No worries,dont suppose you have any MGC M1 Carbine parts to trade for it do you?

Cheers
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: UZI wooden stock (type 4).   UZI wooden stock (type 4). Icon_minitimeMon Jun 29, 2009 6:38 pm

Richard Jones wrote:

No worries,dont suppose you have any MGC M1 Carbine parts to trade for it do you?

Cheers

'Fraid not Richard, sorry mate

Back to top Go down
kickback
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
kickback

Number of posts : 341
Location / Country : UK.Cambridgeshire
Registration date : 2008-08-11

PostSubject: Re: UZI wooden stock (type 4).   UZI wooden stock (type 4). Icon_minitimeMon Jun 29, 2009 9:00 pm

Hi Smootik,

Sorry for the late reply but i have been away.All i had to do to make the original stock fit the Marushin Uzi was file down the thickness of the metal bottom plate ( the "L" shaped plate with the release lever in it) and it was simply done with a metal hand file Very Happy ,you do not have to remove to much,jusy enough for the rear sted to fit into the reciever.

I hope this helps a bit mate Very Happy

Kickback
Back to top Go down
8ace
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
8ace

Number of posts : 2555
Location / Country : UK
Registration date : 2008-08-06

PostSubject: Re: UZI wooden stock (type 4).   UZI wooden stock (type 4). Icon_minitimeTue Jun 30, 2009 7:57 am

Thanks kickback it certanly will Wink
Back to top Go down
smootik
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
smootik

PostSubject: Re: UZI wooden stock (type 4).   UZI wooden stock (type 4). Icon_minitimeThu Jul 02, 2009 11:37 pm

Kickback,

Thank you for information :-)
I've started to modify my wooden stock, but it soon became apparent there is more work involved. Probably I have another version of the stock :-/ or of Marushin model.
There are three parts I had to modify so far:
- metal "bolt" that enters hole in the back of the UZI was too thick. It had to be filed down - in a circular way :-/
- "U" shaped hole at the front of the stock was not wide enough: 12mm vs 13.2mm. It had to be filed open.
- latch is too long and does not fit hole in UZI. There is about 5mm (!) to remove from one end, modified shape should work correctly.
I need to get a better file ;-)
Back to top Go down
Richard Jones
Modelgun Enthusiast
Modelgun Enthusiast

PostSubject: Re: UZI wooden stock (type 4).   UZI wooden stock (type 4). Icon_minitimeFri Jul 03, 2009 11:03 am

Only just noticed that the thread is titled as a TYPE 4 stock???????

Are there different type of wooden stocks?

Maybe the type that Kickback modified is different and easier to convert than others?
Back to top Go down
smootik
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
smootik

PostSubject: Re: UZI wooden stock (type 4).   UZI wooden stock (type 4). Icon_minitimeFri Jul 03, 2009 11:27 am

Possibly - there is a few variants of stocks, so far I thought that they only apply to shape of the stock itself, not the mount.
Type 1-4 are wooden stocks, 5 and 6 are wire. Numbers are just arbitrary, not official.
I have the following pages about stocks bookmarked:
http://files.uzitalk.com/reference/pages/stocks.htm
http://files.uzitalk.com/reference/pages/review-fixedstock.htm

(edit: pages started to work normally)

Last edited by smootik on Fri Jul 03, 2009 2:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
MadMike
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
MadMike

Number of posts : 650
Location / Country : Germany (Stuttgart)

PostSubject: Re: UZI wooden stock (type 4).   UZI wooden stock (type 4). Icon_minitimeFri Jul 03, 2009 2:04 pm

Try this:

http://files.uzitalk.com/reference/pages/stocks.htm

The Type 4 wood stock can be bought here in Germany from German Army surplus for quite a good price, but the stocks are normally used and may show some wear. If anyone needs help finding one, just let me know. i am quite sure I can help.
Back to top Go down
Richard Jones
Modelgun Enthusiast
Modelgun Enthusiast

PostSubject: Re: UZI wooden stock (type 4).   UZI wooden stock (type 4). Icon_minitimeFri Jul 03, 2009 3:11 pm

Dont know what "type" mine is but this is what i have-

UZI wooden stock (type 4). DSCF0011-4

UZI wooden stock (type 4). DSCF0012-3

UZI wooden stock (type 4). DSCF0013-2

UZI wooden stock (type 4). DSCF0014-4
Back to top Go down
smootik
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
smootik

PostSubject: Re: UZI wooden stock (type 4).   UZI wooden stock (type 4). Icon_minitimeFri Jul 03, 2009 6:21 pm

It looks just like mine...
Back to top Go down
MadMike
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
MadMike

Number of posts : 650
Location / Country : Germany (Stuttgart)

PostSubject: Re: UZI wooden stock (type 4).   UZI wooden stock (type 4). Icon_minitimeSat Jul 18, 2009 6:02 pm

Inspired by this thread I got me two German Army surplus UZI wood stocks. I thought I would be easily able to modify one, so I just started. Well in the end it turned out I needed a whole day (and I mean a whole day, working 6 - 8 hours on it), but I am quite satisfied.

The original stock does not fit out of the box, it needs a "little" filing. The cone that is supposed to go into the back of the receiver is too big. It is not easy to file it down to the proper size, so you have to file and test fit, file again, test fit again and do even more filing ... It is the same with the lever, it is too long too. I can not give a detailed instruction as I filed and test fitted all day.

You need a good set of various files, and a lot of patience. As I said it took me a whole day I propably could have spent better (at least my girlfriend thinks that way). But once I had drawn first blood, I could not stop.

When filing was finished, the mil coat finish was ruined, so I spray painted it flat black.

See the pictures for details. They are not as good as hoped, but I just can't handle our new camera ...

Here are both stocks, unmodified one on top, reworked one on the bottom:

UZI wooden stock (type 4). Uzi-stocks

Original UZI surplus stock:

UZI wooden stock (type 4). UZI-stock-unmodi

Modified stock, note the (now smaller) cone and lever:

UZI wooden stock (type 4). Uzi-stock-modi

Stock attached to a Marushin UZI receiver. I used my kit for test fitting:

UZI wooden stock (type 4). Uzi-stock-fixed

All in a days work ...

Last edited by MadMike on Sat Jul 18, 2009 7:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: UZI wooden stock (type 4).   UZI wooden stock (type 4). Icon_minitimeSat Jul 18, 2009 6:49 pm

Hi Madmike Very Happy

I can see now why it took ALL day with a set of handfiles to modify that metalwork Exclamation

It looks well worth it though Wink

Back to top Go down
smootik
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
smootik

PostSubject: Re: UZI wooden stock (type 4).   UZI wooden stock (type 4). Icon_minitimeSun Jul 19, 2009 10:31 pm

MadMike wrote:

The original stock does not fit out of the box, it needs a "little" filing. The cone that is supposed to go into the back of the receiver is too big. It is not easy to file it down to the proper size, so you have to file and test fit, file again, test fit again and do even more filing ... It is the same with the lever, it is too long too. I can not give a detailed instruction as I filed and test fitted all day.
I confirm that I had to go through the same process - the cone, the lever, the "mouth" at front of the bracket.
It took me a lot of time, and I am still not finished with the lever - there is quite a lot to remove!
Back to top Go down
smootik
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
smootik

PostSubject: Re: UZI wooden stock (type 4).   UZI wooden stock (type 4). Icon_minitimeSat Oct 10, 2009 1:45 pm

I have finally modified the original lever to work correctly with Marushin modelgun.

In the meantime I bought a Dremel rotary tool for various home repairs, and instead of spending another day with files I were able to do lever modification in about 5 minutes.

Summary of all work so far:
- remove metal bracket from wooden stock (there are three screws) before doing any work. Bracket is enough to test-fit on receiver.
- remove lever by pushing pin from the side. Take care as there is a spring that can jump out.
- front of the bracket probably needs some widening. Try to push bracket upside down (to avoid interfering with back part) into place just behind grips, to see if it fits. File as necessary, it should be easier with electric tool, but that part is easy to work on by hand, too. I have done that quite quickly by hand.
- file down the cone part. This probably has to be done by hand, as the shape does not lend itself to tools - other parts of the bracket get in a way. I did that part with a hand file. After each correction I have marked all cone surface with black marker, then tried to push bracket into the hole. Areas that block have marker removed - you know now where to file. This process is VERY time consuming.
- bracket should now fit correctly at the front (U-shaped opening) and back (cone).
- install lever and carefully note how much steel has to be removed, then mark it on the lever (for example by scratching it). As I lost patience with files, I have used Dremel 426 cutting wheel to remove excess material, but keeping the "nose" shape. You need to do it bit by bit, frequently checking if the fit is correct (by installing lever into bracke, without spring but with pin in place). Steel is quite hard so is not easy to cut too much :-) Once it was fitted, the final step was to use Dremel 997 to slightly polish the surface and make it even - the cutting process is very rough, at least in my inexperienced hands ;-)
- install lever into the bracket, putting spring and pin into place. Screw the bracket back onto wooden stock, test-fit.

All the time think about safety! Make sure that the part you work on is secured properly and will not move under pressure, as your tool (file or electric) can slip and hurt you. If using electric tools, wear safety glasses.

The next problem that I have discovered is that stock is wobbly after installation. Fron part of the bracke has too large hole between metal part and wood, and the part on receiver that gets in that hole has about 1mm up/down play.
Back to top Go down
kiwigunner
Modelgun Master
Modelgun Master
kiwigunner

Number of posts : 556
Location / Country : Auckland/New Zealand
Registration date : 2010-03-10

PostSubject: Re: UZI wooden stock (type 4).   UZI wooden stock (type 4). Icon_minitimeSat Aug 11, 2012 6:52 am

I'm afraid I cheated, Smootik! affraid

I imported a real-steel Uzi stock that a modelgun enthusiast had modified to fit a Marushin Uzi!
It arrived today so I fitted it to my modelgun and am posting some photos. It fitted first time, and doesn't need any adjustment.
It adds another dimension to a great Marushin product - and is well worth making or buying (if you can find one!) scratch .

UZI wooden stock (type 4). NewUzistockcomp

UZI wooden stock (type 4). Uzistockinstalled

(The sling is an original West German Army one.)

Kiwigunner
Back to top Go down
http://anzaction.weebly.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: UZI wooden stock (type 4).   UZI wooden stock (type 4). Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

UZI wooden stock (type 4).
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next