MP40's Modelguns Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
MP40's Modelguns Forum

International Forum for Modelgun enthusiasts

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

UZI wooden stock (type 4).

Go down 
+6
8ace
kickback
Cerwyn
claymore
Richard Jones
smootik
10 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Richard Jones
Modelgun Enthusiast
Modelgun Enthusiast

Number of posts : 134
Location / Country : North Wales
Registration date : 2008-09-09

UZI wooden stock (type 4). - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: UZI wooden stock (type 4).   UZI wooden stock (type 4). - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 03, 2009 11:03 am

Only just noticed that the thread is titled as a TYPE 4 stock???????

Are there different type of wooden stocks?

Maybe the type that Kickback modified is different and easier to convert than others?
Back to top Go down
smootik
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
smootik

Number of posts : 1823
Location / Country : Poland
Registration date : 2009-03-03

PostSubject: Re: UZI wooden stock (type 4).   UZI wooden stock (type 4). - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 03, 2009 11:27 am

Possibly - there is a few variants of stocks, so far I thought that they only apply to shape of the stock itself, not the mount.
Type 1-4 are wooden stocks, 5 and 6 are wire. Numbers are just arbitrary, not official.
I have the following pages about stocks bookmarked:
http://files.uzitalk.com/reference/pages/stocks.htm
http://files.uzitalk.com/reference/pages/review-fixedstock.htm

(edit: pages started to work normally)

Last edited by smootik on Fri Jul 03, 2009 2:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
MadMike
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
MadMike

Number of posts : 653
Location / Country : Germany (Stuttgart)
Registration date : 2008-08-06

PostSubject: Re: UZI wooden stock (type 4).   UZI wooden stock (type 4). - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 03, 2009 2:04 pm

Try this:

http://files.uzitalk.com/reference/pages/stocks.htm

The Type 4 wood stock can be bought here in Germany from German Army surplus for quite a good price, but the stocks are normally used and may show some wear. If anyone needs help finding one, just let me know. i am quite sure I can help.
Back to top Go down
Richard Jones
Modelgun Enthusiast
Modelgun Enthusiast

Number of posts : 134
Registration date : 2008-09-09

PostSubject: Re: UZI wooden stock (type 4).   UZI wooden stock (type 4). - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 03, 2009 3:11 pm

Dont know what "type" mine is but this is what i have-

UZI wooden stock (type 4). - Page 2 DSCF0011-4

UZI wooden stock (type 4). - Page 2 DSCF0012-3

UZI wooden stock (type 4). - Page 2 DSCF0013-2

UZI wooden stock (type 4). - Page 2 DSCF0014-4
Back to top Go down
smootik
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
smootik

PostSubject: Re: UZI wooden stock (type 4).   UZI wooden stock (type 4). - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 03, 2009 6:21 pm

It looks just like mine...
Back to top Go down
MadMike
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
MadMike

Number of posts : 653
Location / Country : Germany (Stuttgart)
Registration date : 2008-08-06

PostSubject: Re: UZI wooden stock (type 4).   UZI wooden stock (type 4). - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 18, 2009 6:02 pm

Inspired by this thread I got me two German Army surplus UZI wood stocks. I thought I would be easily able to modify one, so I just started. Well in the end it turned out I needed a whole day (and I mean a whole day, working 6 - 8 hours on it), but I am quite satisfied.

The original stock does not fit out of the box, it needs a "little" filing. The cone that is supposed to go into the back of the receiver is too big. It is not easy to file it down to the proper size, so you have to file and test fit, file again, test fit again and do even more filing ... It is the same with the lever, it is too long too. I can not give a detailed instruction as I filed and test fitted all day.

You need a good set of various files, and a lot of patience. As I said it took me a whole day I propably could have spent better (at least my girlfriend thinks that way). But once I had drawn first blood, I could not stop.

When filing was finished, the mil coat finish was ruined, so I spray painted it flat black.

See the pictures for details. They are not as good as hoped, but I just can't handle our new camera ...

Here are both stocks, unmodified one on top, reworked one on the bottom:

UZI wooden stock (type 4). - Page 2 Uzi-stocks

Original UZI surplus stock:

UZI wooden stock (type 4). - Page 2 UZI-stock-unmodi

Modified stock, note the (now smaller) cone and lever:

UZI wooden stock (type 4). - Page 2 Uzi-stock-modi

Stock attached to a Marushin UZI receiver. I used my kit for test fitting:

UZI wooden stock (type 4). - Page 2 Uzi-stock-fixed

All in a days work ...

Last edited by MadMike on Sat Jul 18, 2009 7:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

Number of posts : 11077
Registration date : 2008-07-20

PostSubject: Re: UZI wooden stock (type 4).   UZI wooden stock (type 4). - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 18, 2009 6:49 pm

Hi Madmike Very Happy

I can see now why it took ALL day with a set of handfiles to modify that metalwork Exclamation

It looks well worth it though Wink

Hobby collector of Replica model guns and Militaria.
also member of Living History Reenactment Groups.
Back to top Go down
https://mp40modelguns.forumotion.net
smootik
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
smootik

PostSubject: Re: UZI wooden stock (type 4).   UZI wooden stock (type 4). - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 19, 2009 10:31 pm

MadMike wrote:

The original stock does not fit out of the box, it needs a "little" filing. The cone that is supposed to go into the back of the receiver is too big. It is not easy to file it down to the proper size, so you have to file and test fit, file again, test fit again and do even more filing ... It is the same with the lever, it is too long too. I can not give a detailed instruction as I filed and test fitted all day.
I confirm that I had to go through the same process - the cone, the lever, the "mouth" at front of the bracket.
It took me a lot of time, and I am still not finished with the lever - there is quite a lot to remove!
Back to top Go down
smootik
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
smootik

PostSubject: Re: UZI wooden stock (type 4).   UZI wooden stock (type 4). - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 10, 2009 1:45 pm

I have finally modified the original lever to work correctly with Marushin modelgun.

In the meantime I bought a Dremel rotary tool for various home repairs, and instead of spending another day with files I were able to do lever modification in about 5 minutes.

Summary of all work so far:
- remove metal bracket from wooden stock (there are three screws) before doing any work. Bracket is enough to test-fit on receiver.
- remove lever by pushing pin from the side. Take care as there is a spring that can jump out.
- front of the bracket probably needs some widening. Try to push bracket upside down (to avoid interfering with back part) into place just behind grips, to see if it fits. File as necessary, it should be easier with electric tool, but that part is easy to work on by hand, too. I have done that quite quickly by hand.
- file down the cone part. This probably has to be done by hand, as the shape does not lend itself to tools - other parts of the bracket get in a way. I did that part with a hand file. After each correction I have marked all cone surface with black marker, then tried to push bracket into the hole. Areas that block have marker removed - you know now where to file. This process is VERY time consuming.
- bracket should now fit correctly at the front (U-shaped opening) and back (cone).
- install lever and carefully note how much steel has to be removed, then mark it on the lever (for example by scratching it). As I lost patience with files, I have used Dremel 426 cutting wheel to remove excess material, but keeping the "nose" shape. You need to do it bit by bit, frequently checking if the fit is correct (by installing lever into bracke, without spring but with pin in place). Steel is quite hard so is not easy to cut too much :-) Once it was fitted, the final step was to use Dremel 997 to slightly polish the surface and make it even - the cutting process is very rough, at least in my inexperienced hands ;-)
- install lever into the bracket, putting spring and pin into place. Screw the bracket back onto wooden stock, test-fit.

All the time think about safety! Make sure that the part you work on is secured properly and will not move under pressure, as your tool (file or electric) can slip and hurt you. If using electric tools, wear safety glasses.

The next problem that I have discovered is that stock is wobbly after installation. Fron part of the bracke has too large hole between metal part and wood, and the part on receiver that gets in that hole has about 1mm up/down play.
Back to top Go down
kiwigunner
Modelgun Master
Modelgun Master
kiwigunner

Number of posts : 556
Location / Country : Auckland/New Zealand
Registration date : 2010-03-10

PostSubject: Re: UZI wooden stock (type 4).   UZI wooden stock (type 4). - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 11, 2012 6:52 am

I'm afraid I cheated, Smootik! affraid

I imported a real-steel Uzi stock that a modelgun enthusiast had modified to fit a Marushin Uzi!
It arrived today so I fitted it to my modelgun and am posting some photos. It fitted first time, and doesn't need any adjustment.
It adds another dimension to a great Marushin product - and is well worth making or buying (if you can find one!) scratch .

UZI wooden stock (type 4). - Page 2 NewUzistockcomp

UZI wooden stock (type 4). - Page 2 Uzistockinstalled

(The sling is an original West German Army one.)

Kiwigunner
Back to top Go down
http://anzaction.weebly.com/
jim
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
jim

Number of posts : 988
Location / Country : Hong Kong / Sydney, Australia
Registration date : 2008-09-07

PostSubject: Re: UZI wooden stock (type 4).   UZI wooden stock (type 4). - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 13, 2012 1:29 pm

Lovely Mate Very Happy ...I didn't like the Uzi look with wooden stock before (because the entire gun's steel so the wood makes it odd) but now it looks quite alright...
Back to top Go down
kiwigunner
Modelgun Master
Modelgun Master
kiwigunner

PostSubject: Re: UZI wooden stock (type 4).   UZI wooden stock (type 4). - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 13, 2012 1:52 pm

I agree with you Jim; Wink It took a while to decide to get a wooden stock for the same reason!

Then I found some cheap US stocks on the internet - but they wouldn't sell internationally! More expensive ones on other sites could ship ti NZ but it became too expensive an exercise with freight added!

So I shelved the idea, deciding I might have a go a making my own wooden stock.... next summer.
But then I saw this one on Gunbroker....a real stock modified to fit a modelgun: and the price was reasonable if I bought some other stuff.
And voila!... cheers

It actually "feels" good to use on the Uzi - and of course I can swap out to either stock to suit my mood!

Nice to hear from you.
Kiwigunner

Back to top Go down
jim
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
jim

PostSubject: Re: UZI wooden stock (type 4).   UZI wooden stock (type 4). - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 13, 2012 2:05 pm

Semi auto UZi's still somehow legal in NZ (not just C/E Cat. but semi-auto rifle for hunting providing you fit the ugly 16" barrel on it) as well as the accessories so you might be able to source one locally... Question

BTW wonder which comes first for the Uzi - the wooden stock or the foldable metal stock...?
Back to top Go down
kiwigunner
Modelgun Master
Modelgun Master
kiwigunner

PostSubject: Re: UZI wooden stock (type 4).   UZI wooden stock (type 4). - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 13, 2012 2:51 pm

Wiki-pedia has this to say:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uzi

" The first Uzis were equipped with a short, fixed wooden buttstock, and this is the version that initially saw combat during the 1956 Suez campaign. Later models would be equipped with a folding metal stock."

Kiwigunner
Back to top Go down
smootik
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
smootik

PostSubject: Re: UZI wooden stock (type 4).   UZI wooden stock (type 4). - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 13, 2012 7:23 pm

jim wrote:
BTW wonder which comes first for the Uzi - the wooden stock or the foldable metal stock...?
Also check links in my initial post.
Stocks are numbered based on introduction dates. Wooden stocks are type 1..4 are wooden ones changing with time, 5 (so later) is foldable, 6 is wire stock for mini UZI, type 7 is polymer.
Back to top Go down
pitfighter
Modelgun Master
Modelgun Master
pitfighter

Number of posts : 620
Location / Country : Hollywood, California

PostSubject: Re: UZI wooden stock (type 4).   UZI wooden stock (type 4). - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 14, 2012 12:24 am

Terrific thread - I like the military look of the UZI with the wooden stock, I bought the Israeli one for mine.

Pit.
Back to top Go down
kiwigunner
Modelgun Master
Modelgun Master
kiwigunner

PostSubject: Re: UZI wooden stock (type 4).   UZI wooden stock (type 4). - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 14, 2012 1:19 am

Quote :

Semi auto UZi's still somehow legal in NZ (not just C/E Cat. but semi-auto rifle for hunting providing you fit the ugly 16" barrel on it) as well as the accessories so you might be able to source one locally... Question

I just checked Gun City for an legal basic Firearms licence Uzi:
UZI wooden stock (type 4). - Page 2 167891

ONLY NZ$6000 - reduced from $12,000! affraid

Yea! I think I'll get 3 or four at that price - NOT! Wink
Even if I could afford one (and I can't) it looks ugly as sin to me with the compulsory pistol grip attached to the stock (to conform to the rules!)... let alone the 16 inch barrel. What do you think?

Gun City used to sell the Airsoft version for NZ$900.And you can buy an Israeli made non-firing dummy replica for NZ$1000
They give great service cheers - but at a price! Evil or Very Mad

Thank God for Marushin & other Modelguns, I say! sunny
And glad to own my Marushin replica PFC wooden stocked Uzi!

Kiwigunner

PS I could buy an Israeli-made real Uzi if I had the correct licence, for around $5000 from a private dealer!
Just shows the difference eh?

Last edited by kiwigunner on Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:32 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : fix typos)
Back to top Go down
jim
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
jim

PostSubject: Re: UZI wooden stock (type 4).   UZI wooden stock (type 4). - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 14, 2012 8:50 am

Thanks Guys regarding the info on the Uzi stock: as well as working in China during office hours therefore making browsing certain foreign websites difficult Mad also why not get a quick answer from you Guys which will also provide additional useful info Very Happy (unlike other forums Evil or Very Mad )...

Well Kiwi at least you can still get these kind of guns - for us as your lovely neighbour we need to be a Class D holder and pay >$2000 only for a tired & worn M1 Carbine...why do we have to deserve this Evil or Very Mad ? But anyway...

My main point is: if Uzi is still somehow legal in New Zealand then there might be chance to get related parts / accessories cheaper as well as saving you from shipping cost / Customs issue...maybe you'll be allowed to inspect it carefully before you buy...

I don't know if I'll fall for it even if I'm eligible for it...but I want to see if an Aussie like me can join the NZ Gun Club as a Temporary Member (slim chance though)...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: UZI wooden stock (type 4).   UZI wooden stock (type 4). - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

UZI wooden stock (type 4).
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next