MP40's Modelguns Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
MP40's Modelguns Forum

International Forum for Modelgun enthusiasts

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

MGC HW CP carts getting damaged

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
MadMike
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
MadMike

Number of posts : 647
Location / Country : Germany (Stuttgart)
Registration date : 2008-08-06

MGC HW CP carts getting damaged Empty
PostSubject: MGC HW CP carts getting damaged   MGC HW CP carts getting damaged Icon_minitimeWed Aug 12, 2009 9:07 pm

I have a MGC ABS XM177E2 (M16A1 Commando) that is firing quite well on FULL and SEMI. I am currently really enjoying this model but realized that some carts got damaged badly/destroyed. The threads got blowed off and the upper part of the cart gets widened.

Does anyone know what the issue may be? Maybe the piston travels not easy enough, but I do lightly grease the carts inside ...

MGC HW CP carts getting damaged Carts

Will have to look for some replacement carts anyway ...
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

Number of posts : 11076
Location / Country : North Wales
Registration date : 2008-07-20

PostSubject: Re: MGC HW CP carts getting damaged   MGC HW CP carts getting damaged Icon_minitimeThu Aug 13, 2009 2:55 pm

Hi 'Mike

Wow those cartridges are taking a real beating aren't they Shocked Exclamation

I've only seen similar damage on old cartridges that have been used over and over again. Repeated firing can cause the screw-on top to spread and threads to fail but those in your photo look almost like they've been squashed. There's a definate bulge all around the threaded area.

Is it possible that the detonator chamber or the det. pin is positioned too close to the bolt face Question What I mean is could the cartridge be squashed between the bolt-face and the bottom of the chamber Question

How many cartridges have failed like this Question

Hobby collector of Replica model guns and Militaria.
also member of Living History Reenactment Groups.
Back to top Go down
https://mp40modelguns.forumotion.net
MadMike
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
MadMike

PostSubject: Re: MGC HW CP carts getting damaged   MGC HW CP carts getting damaged Icon_minitimeThu Aug 13, 2009 3:03 pm

Thanks for your reply. I did not yet notice anything unusual with the gun, but may have to take exact measurements.

I have "killed" approx. 10 carts like this, they were fired 10 - 15 times I'd say before they broke.
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: MGC HW CP carts getting damaged   MGC HW CP carts getting damaged Icon_minitimeThu Aug 13, 2009 3:24 pm

I wouldn't expect any cartridge to wear out that badly after only 10-15 shots 'Mike.

Are there any signs of damage at either end Question i.e. cartridge base and neck Question

The old cartridges I've seen in the past, having been fired many, many times, show a gradual spreading around the threaded base of the cartridge "top" leading to loss of gas pressure and poor firing. Your photo looks almost like the cartridge has been stood on end on a solid surface and hit hard by a heavy hammer Shocked

I've seen Marushin 9mm and MGC 220s break at the threads but only because they'd been damaged by a "stove-pipe" jam. They were impossible to unscrew by hand and broke when more force was applied in a vice...

How many caps do you load into these cartridges Question Is it just 1 x 7mm cap or are you using 1x 7mm and 1 x 5mm Question

Back to top Go down
MadMike
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
MadMike

PostSubject: Re: MGC HW CP carts getting damaged   MGC HW CP carts getting damaged Icon_minitimeThu Aug 13, 2009 3:28 pm

Of course it is only one 7 mm cap Smile . The MGC Cap Piston design is a good design and seals the hot gases well. One cap is powerful enough. I do not see what caused the trouble. The gun is operating fine. Anyway I used these carts with another MGC M16 I do not longer have. Maybe this gun caused the damage. I will have to test some new carts and see if they get damaged too.
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: MGC HW CP carts getting damaged   MGC HW CP carts getting damaged Icon_minitimeThu Aug 13, 2009 3:47 pm

MadMike wrote:
Of course it is only one 7 mm cap Smile . The MGC Cap Piston design is a good design and seals the hot gases well. One cap is powerful enough. I do not see what caused the trouble. The gun is operating fine. Anyway I used these carts with another MGC M16 I do not longer have. Maybe this gun caused the damage. I will have to test some new carts and see if they get damaged too.

The use of 2 caps can blow cartridges apart but as you rightly say, the MGC c.p. design only needs a single cap.
If you've used these cartridges before, how old are they 'Mike Question You don't suppose the brass material has got brittle with age do you Question
Having said that, the majority of my cartridges are over 3 years old (some 5 yrs) but I've only seen 2 break during firing, a few others due to "stove-pipe" damage.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: MGC HW CP carts getting damaged   MGC HW CP carts getting damaged Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

MGC HW CP carts getting damaged
Page 1 of 1