MP40's Modelguns Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
MP40's Modelguns Forum

International Forum for Modelgun enthusiasts

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Question on modelgun surface finishes

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
JohnnyV
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
JohnnyV

Number of posts : 552
Location / Country : Cambridgeshire UK
Registration date : 2009-08-24

Question on modelgun surface finishes Empty
PostSubject: Question on modelgun surface finishes   Question on modelgun surface finishes Icon_minitimeFri Dec 30, 2011 2:21 pm

Hi
A quick question as an interested in peoples view.

Over Christmas during some quiet time Sleep I was trying some new finishes, and it set me wondering what people REALLY like?....

a) a "brand new" look = standard matt Heavy weight finish
b) a "used" but more "real" finish

Its easy to make guesses, but i would like real opinions/views please, pristine new modelgun or custom look???
Below is one of the models (CAW .32 Auto) I was working on as an example, first two photos are straight out of the box, second two photos are after some elbow grease applied.
Honest opinions please:) (sorry I know pics could be better, but they give the idea)
Question on modelgun surface finishes Img_1815
Question on modelgun surface finishes Img_1817
Question on modelgun surface finishes Img_1816
Question on modelgun surface finishes Img_1818
Back to top Go down
Momocampo
Modelgun Master
Modelgun Master

Number of posts : 389
Location / Country : France
Registration date : 2011-01-31

PostSubject: Re: Question on modelgun surface finishes   Question on modelgun surface finishes Icon_minitimeFri Dec 30, 2011 2:40 pm

Hi Johnny,

For me, it's the second the better. It's true the original ABS is always a little bit mat. I think there is a method to "blued" to look more "metal". Carom does this kind of product but I don't know how use it.

Wink
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

Number of posts : 11075
Location / Country : North Wales
Registration date : 2008-07-20

PostSubject: Re: Question on modelgun surface finishes   Question on modelgun surface finishes Icon_minitimeSat Dec 31, 2011 10:41 am

Hi Johnny,

A well done, slightly worn and used look can look 100% better than the completely flat matt black of HWABS. Finding the balance between Realistic and Overdone is the key. Your photos of the refinished Colt look just right Very Happy

An interesting article I read sometime ago about "weathering" and "ageing" replicas said that it's too easy to go too far. Several replicas of WW2 era were shown after being "aged". The author's point was that the guns looked 70 years old. His point being that for Re-enactment purposes certainly, replicas should look no more than 4-5 years old. Blued steel on Real guns is a tough durable finish so wouldn't wear down too much in a few short years use. Yet many are seen that look like antiques being used to Re-enact.

Hobby collector of Replica model guns and Militaria.
also member of Living History Reenactment Groups.
Back to top Go down
https://mp40modelguns.forumotion.net
metradio
Modelgun Enthusiast
Modelgun Enthusiast
metradio

Number of posts : 68
Location / Country : Slough, Berkshire, UK
Registration date : 2008-09-11

PostSubject: Re: Question on modelgun surface finishes   Question on modelgun surface finishes Icon_minitimeSat Dec 31, 2011 3:41 pm

Cerwyn wrote:

...replicas should look no more than 4-5 years old. Blued steel on Real guns is a tough durable finish so wouldn't wear down too much in a few short years use...

Depends what period is being re-enacted, WWI and WWII small arms would typicaly only be 4-5 years old by the end of each war, but weapons used in Vietnam and Northern Ireland could be 20+ years old!! Also it would depend on the envirenment the weapon was used in, for instance a US M3 grease gun issued as part of a tank's equipment inventory might only have storage marks, as it would sit in a canvas holster for most of its life, yet a US M1 carbine used heavily by a Marine unit in the pacific might need refurbishment after only a few months.
Not all firearms have a blued finish, phosphate finishes became popular during WWII and the UK went for a black high temp paint finish for their L1A1 SLR (elephant gun) rifle.
Also non bullpup rifles issued to units that carried out a large proportion of ceremonial duties tended to get through rifle butplates at a rate of knots..

Back to top Go down
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/HT600E
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: Question on modelgun surface finishes   Question on modelgun surface finishes Icon_minitimeSat Dec 31, 2011 4:55 pm

Good points raised there Mike Very Happy as the article I referred to covered WW2 re-enacting

What John needs then is information on the finish individual types of gun left the factory with. As an alternative to standard matt black HWABS, Modelguns could be refinished to factory spec, and then "aged" to suit individual requirements.

We've seen how HWABS can be given a good Blued finish, Zinc and Steel can be Blued or Chemically blackened. One thing that might appeal is something to give shiny black ABS a realistic finish. Is there a paint or chemical available that can replicate phosphate safely at home Question

Back to top Go down
metradio
Modelgun Enthusiast
Modelgun Enthusiast
metradio

PostSubject: Re: Question on modelgun surface finishes   Question on modelgun surface finishes Icon_minitimeSat Dec 31, 2011 8:12 pm

Humbrol do an enamel paint that looks like grey matt phosphate but is a bit too delicate if handled and goes a grey satin finish. The only solution to this that I can think of is to apply the paint, rub the high points to give a worn finish, then coat with a clear matt varnish to seal the finish..

Just had a thought, years ago I had to coat the insides of a few radio enclosures with electrically conductive spray paint, the finish looked like phosphate and was pretty hard wearing, I have not seen the stuff for years but am sure this is it:

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/emi-or-rfi-shielding/7259987/
Back to top Go down
metradio
Modelgun Enthusiast
Modelgun Enthusiast
metradio

PostSubject: Re: Question on modelgun surface finishes   Question on modelgun surface finishes Icon_minitimeSat Dec 31, 2011 8:48 pm

As an aside, if you have a 1:1 scale plastic kit of a .45 peacemaker or similar and want to make it into an aged wallhanger. Go to your local hardware store and buy a tube of GRATE POLISH, it should cost about 3 to 4UKP.
Grate Polish is used to polish black wrought iron items, it looks like black shoe polish but when buffed it has a metalic polished steel finish. I have applied it just using my finger, after first removing non steel finish parts - wood grips etc.
The polish comes with simple instructions on how to apply and to acheive a good finish. The down side of using it is that you cannot handle the gun very much after application or the finish comes off - on your hands ! The good side is you can experiment with the amount of polish applied, time left to dry and amount of elbow grease used to buff it up and as it is water soluble it can be washed off with warm soapy water. It is friendly when applied to plastics..

This is the stuff:

http://www.starchsupplies.co.uk/hotspot-black-graphite-grate-polish.html
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: Question on modelgun surface finishes   Question on modelgun surface finishes Icon_minitimeSun Jan 01, 2012 11:04 am

Zebo Grate Polish is something I used a lot of on motorcycle exhaust systems to good effect. The pipes were painted with heat resistant matt black first then polished up with Zebo. It does buff up to a nice metalic black.
I like the idea of using it on matt black HWABS, it should make the model look more like metal, pity it comes off on your hands though...

There's a link to Matt Black Stove Paint with the Grate Polish link above. This could be good for painting STENs and such followed by a light coat of Grate Polish

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Question on modelgun surface finishes   Question on modelgun surface finishes Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Question on modelgun surface finishes
Page 1 of 1