MP40's Modelguns Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
MP40's Modelguns Forum

International Forum for Modelgun enthusiasts

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

comparison help! please M16A1

Go down 
5 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Rat

Number of posts : 20
Location / Country : United Kingdom
Registration date : 2011-05-15

comparison help! please M16A1  Empty
PostSubject: comparison help! please M16A1    comparison help! please M16A1  Icon_minitimeSun May 15, 2011 12:11 pm

Hi All

How are you?

I am looking for an M16A1 for vietnam reenacting but I am somewhat confused as to which model is the better/more accurate. the MGC or the marushin. Please can someone shed some light (and hopefully photos) of the differences please?

all and any help gratefully appreciated.
Back to top Go down
smootik
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
smootik

Number of posts : 1823
Location / Country : Poland
Registration date : 2009-03-03

PostSubject: Re: comparison help! please M16A1    comparison help! please M16A1  Icon_minitimeSun May 15, 2011 9:54 pm

Hello and welcome to forum!

Please check comparison of available models made by MadMike, our local expert on this type:
https://mp40modelguns.forumotion.net/t1467p15-mgc-m4-photo-gallery

Marushin and MGC variants also have their own sections with plenty of information:
https://mp40modelguns.forumotion.net/f20-marushin-m16-xm177-series-modelguns
https://mp40modelguns.forumotion.net/f40-mgc-m16-series-modelguns

I hope this is enough information to get you started :-)
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

Number of posts : 11076
Location / Country : North Wales
Registration date : 2008-07-20

PostSubject: Re: comparison help! please M16A1    comparison help! please M16A1  Icon_minitimeMon May 16, 2011 4:56 pm

Hello Rat, welcome to the forum Very Happy

smootik's already given you links to a good deal of information which should help you at and give you an idea.

MGC's M16A1 was used by film and TV producers as a prop weapon for non-firing footage. One film of note is Full Metal Jacket, TV series' Tour of Duty made good use of them.
Outwardly, apart from the use of a socket head screw in place of a Forward Assist button, the MGC M16A1 looks as realistic as you'd want.
Internally, however, the firing mechanism differs considerably to the real gun.

Marushin's M16A1 replicates the internals more faithfully apart from necessary changes to allow PFC Cap Firing.

Madmike is indeed our resident expert on this weapon and its variants, he'll be looking forwards to helping you I'm sure as we all will Very Happy

Hobby collector of Replica model guns and Militaria.
also member of Living History Reenactment Groups.
Back to top Go down
https://mp40modelguns.forumotion.net
MadMike
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
MadMike

Number of posts : 647
Location / Country : Germany (Stuttgart)
Registration date : 2008-08-06

PostSubject: Re: comparison help! please M16A1    comparison help! please M16A1  Icon_minitimeWed May 18, 2011 12:06 pm

Hello!

Well, I am not around here a lot lately, so please apologize my late reply:

You can choose 4 different models:

1.) Early full metal (zinc) MGC M16, used as a non-firing prop gun in Full Metal Jacket, Tour of Duty and The A-Team. A sturdy model with realistic weight (3 kg) and feel. Anyway the internal firing mechanism, the "fake forward assist" Cerwyn mentioned and the fire selector (SAFE, SEMI and AUTO positions are intermixed) are not realistic. This model will need reworking to fire caps too. It still can be bought for a good price (350 – 500 USD)
comparison help! please M16A1  M16e1-2-1
comparison help! please M16A1  M16e1-1

2. Late MGC M16A1 ABS plastic model. A great, realistic replica that fires well using caps. It is still available for a reasonable price as a used mode (200 – 400 USD). Drawbacks are that it is quite light (2 kg) and that the ABS looks too shiny. If taken to the field often the long ABS barrel assemble may start to wobble.

3. Marushin M16A1 made of zinc, currently available as factory assembled (with odd greenish finish) or as kit version (black). (280 – 380 USD). Realistic weight and feel, but the bolt design is not as realistic as on the late MGC ABS model. Easily available. Needs a little reworking to fire reliable, anyway it will not be as good as the MGC ABS M16 when it comes to firing caps. There was a factory assembled version made in the early 1980s that came with a heavier bolt carrier and a rare 30 rd magazine (500 USD).
comparison help! please M16A1  M16-neu
comparison help! please M16A1  M16fact-1

4. HobbyFix M16A1 dummy model, made from metal and as realistic as possible. Only made in very limited numbers in the early 1990s. Very rare and expensive today (approx. 1500 to 2000 USD). Will accept real magazines and can cycle dummy rounds manually, but it won't fire caps. It is at least as realistic as a deact M16.

I hope this helps.
Back to top Go down
Rat

PostSubject: Re: comparison help! please M16A1    comparison help! please M16A1  Icon_minitimeTue May 31, 2011 6:27 pm

Thanks for your replies folks. I had completely forgotten I had joined this forum etc.

I have ordered the Marushin M16a1 Kit as it seems to be the closest to what I was looking for.. Ie field stripped near enough to a real steel etc. I wasn't so fazed by it firing or not as I'm not a vietnam Battler! However I may be converted into a PFC firing fan!!

hope it does the job, will find out when it arrives tomjorrow
Back to top Go down
smootik
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
smootik

PostSubject: Re: comparison help! please M16A1    comparison help! please M16A1  Icon_minitimeTue May 31, 2011 6:46 pm

While waiting please take a look at assembly instructions (M16A1 is almost the same):
https://mp40modelguns.forumotion.net/t2897-marushin-xm177e2-kit-first-time-assembly

This kit is fairly frustrating to adjust to fire caps correctly, but for looks and handling it is well worth the money!
Back to top Go down
Rat

PostSubject: Re: comparison help! please M16A1    comparison help! please M16A1  Icon_minitimeTue May 31, 2011 6:48 pm

I have just been reading that thread, I am sure i'll be referring to it during the build.

Please can anyone give me an indication as to what tools are required for construction please?
Back to top Go down
smootik
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
smootik

PostSubject: Re: comparison help! please M16A1    comparison help! please M16A1  Icon_minitimeTue May 31, 2011 8:48 pm

I have used:
- a variety of screwdrivers, mostly tiny ones, to hold/push/help with smaller parts. Always use screwdriver best fitting a screw, otherwise it is easy to scratch or damage screw and nearby surfaces.
- pliers (and/or needle-nose pliers) to hold some of the parts while installing (useful also for tightening the barrel).
- hammer, to drive in those pesky pins.
- wooden plank, to put under model (and parts) while hammering various pins in/out (out because you will most likely forget something ;-) )
- sand paper to polish some of the surfaces, I used grade 600 to fine polish and rough one to adjust stock ring thickness (as per JohnnyV tip).
- (option) dremel-style rotary tool to help de-burring, polishing or doing smaller modifications. It is sometimes easier to do with a dremel, but it is also easier to make mistake or scratch something.

Additionally:
- paper and pen to mark identified parts (makes work easier later).
- containers to keep smaller parts from running away (they are very apt at doing that).
- silicon oil to use on moving parts (bolt/handle) at later assembly stages.
- towel to wipe your hands from oil and dirt (after sanding/polishing) to prevent moving it back onto model parts.
- desk lamp to provide extra light when you work in evenings.
- remember where you keep adhesive bandage, and bruise-reducing ointments - their usage depending on your skills and luck :-)

Please, do not get scared by size of this list :-)
I spent a lot of time running around my house and searching for things I forgot about ;-)
Back to top Go down
Rat

PostSubject: Re: comparison help! please M16A1    comparison help! please M16A1  Icon_minitimeTue May 31, 2011 9:00 pm

not too fazed by the list!! (he says!)

think I have a mjority of it anyways. not plasters though I have the heavy duty gunshot wound pressure bandges though, will they do? Very Happy
Back to top Go down
smootik
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
smootik

PostSubject: Re: comparison help! please M16A1    comparison help! please M16A1  Icon_minitimeTue May 31, 2011 10:10 pm

Ain't no such thing as overkill, with them bandages ;-)
Back to top Go down
Rat

PostSubject: Re: comparison help! please M16A1    comparison help! please M16A1  Icon_minitimeTue May 31, 2011 10:17 pm

I wonder if anyone has been taken to A&E with a gun stuck to their hand by the bolt or something!!
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: comparison help! please M16A1    comparison help! please M16A1  Icon_minitimeThu Jun 02, 2011 1:56 pm

Rat wrote:
I wonder if anyone has been taken to A&E with a gun stuck to their hand by the bolt or something!!

If it hasn't happened already, there's always a First time Very Happy Let us know how things go please Very Happy

Back to top Go down
Rat

PostSubject: Re: comparison help! please M16A1    comparison help! please M16A1  Icon_minitimeFri Jun 03, 2011 10:07 pm

Hi All

Just a quick update

I have predominantly finished the build BUT!!

the forward assist and charging handle are not complete due to some of the smaller linkin gparts dissapearing!!

I have had huge help from John (PFCGUK) and hopefully soon to be remedied.

however here are some pics to start off with.

comparison help! please M16A1  Confirmationcharlie017-1

comparison help! please M16A1  Confirmationcharlie018-1

comparison help! please M16A1  Marushin002

comparison help! please M16A1  Marushin003

comparison help! please M16A1  Marushin006

comparison help! please M16A1  Marushin004

Last edited by Rat on Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:54 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
smootik
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
smootik

PostSubject: Re: comparison help! please M16A1    comparison help! please M16A1  Icon_minitimeSun Jun 05, 2011 11:35 pm

Nice model :-) Among the "M" rifles this model is the one that looks best for me.

If you only have problem with those two parts, it's not much :-) Good to hear that your progress is so good.

Some of your pictures are out of focus - take a look at some hints collected in this thread:
https://mp40modelguns.forumotion.net/t741-taking-better-photographs
Back to top Go down
Rat

PostSubject: Re: comparison help! please M16A1    comparison help! please M16A1  Icon_minitimeThu Jun 09, 2011 10:28 pm

thanks will look when I've finished the build.

Can anyone tell me how to et the bolt to slide in? as it seems to be a tight fit. also I appear to have a small part left over which is believed to be the "stop" for the buffer tube so am a bit confused!!

thanks in advance.
Back to top Go down
smootik
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
smootik

PostSubject: Re: comparison help! please M16A1    comparison help! please M16A1  Icon_minitimeFri Jun 10, 2011 12:11 am

Bolt should just go in the upper receiver. It might be a tight fit, and extra work to get it to move smoothly is probably required. This is what prevents these models from firing caps easily - they need quite some work on the bolt and receiver inside.

Not sure which leftover part you mean - please write number (see my review for details).
Is it D#75 used in step 09?
Back to top Go down
Rat

PostSubject: Re: comparison help! please M16A1    comparison help! please M16A1  Icon_minitimeFri Jun 10, 2011 8:30 am

yeah number 75,though I already have a "stopper" in there it appears I have used the wrong one.
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: comparison help! please M16A1    comparison help! please M16A1  Icon_minitimeFri Jun 10, 2011 10:14 am

Hi Rat,

rubbing down all the casting lines, flash and high spots along the bolt's length, the bolt carrier and upper receiver bore till you get a perfectly smooth clean surface should help the bolt slide much easier.
These kits are sold with all the rough casting marks still there so plenty of time and effort polishing everything clean and smooth is essential.

There are a few hints and tips to be found here:-

Left over parts after a build are a worry, a bit like finding a left over circlip after an engine rebuild... triple check the manual again, then strip the model down bit by bit until you find where it should go...
As far as I know, there aren't any optional parts supplied in the Marushin M16 kit so it should fit in there somewhere...

Back to top Go down
Rat

PostSubject: Re: comparison help! please M16A1    comparison help! please M16A1  Icon_minitimeFri Jun 10, 2011 10:19 am

Thanks Cerwyn, was rather hoping I wouldn't have to dissasemble the M16, but if it needs doing it needs doing!.
Back to top Go down
smootik
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
smootik

PostSubject: Re: comparison help! please M16A1    comparison help! please M16A1  Icon_minitimeFri Jun 10, 2011 1:40 pm

It is enough to unscrew buffer tube just a bit to remove buffer stop. Make sure the rear receiver locking mechanism (pin and its screw) don't jump out.

Try to identify what other part it might be. Maybe after all there are, by Marushin mistake, two same parts?
Back to top Go down
Rat

PostSubject: Re: comparison help! please M16A1    comparison help! please M16A1  Icon_minitimeFri Jun 10, 2011 7:09 pm

Times like this having a local "expert" would be great as I could call upon them to have a look lol.

have taken the buffer tube out as it was popping over its catch. so i guess i did use the wrong part.
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: comparison help! please M16A1    comparison help! please M16A1  Icon_minitimeSat Jun 11, 2011 2:49 pm

That's one problem solved then Very Happy ... all you need do now is identify where the wrong pin should have been fitted.
Fortunately the instruction manual lists all the pins giving full dimensions of each one so it should be fairly easy to figure out which one it is

Keep us posted please Question

Back to top Go down
Rat

PostSubject: Re: comparison help! please M16A1    comparison help! please M16A1  Icon_minitimeSat Jun 11, 2011 10:15 pm

Does anyone know of any MGC collectors/assemblers in or near worcester who'd be able to drop by and give me a hand please? banging head with confusion here!! will provide tea, biscuits and anything else required lol.
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: comparison help! please M16A1    comparison help! please M16A1  Icon_minitimeSun Jun 12, 2011 1:44 pm

Hi Rat,

Hopefully there will be someone nearby that can give you a hand but if not, we'll do whatever we can to help you here Very Happy
Photos, dimensions or anything you can post up should "ring a bell" with some of us here.
We've all got access to the Instruction Manual too as it's posted up in the forums' pages.

Believe me, we've ALL been there, confused and frustrated and in need of some help, so we're only too pleased to help.

Back to top Go down
denisonsmock

Number of posts : 178
Location / Country : Taiwan
Registration date : 2009-04-13

PostSubject: Re: comparison help! please M16A1    comparison help! please M16A1  Icon_minitimeMon Jun 13, 2011 7:36 pm

Just out of interest: Could you use the lower and upper receiver of an GBB M16A1 on one of these?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: comparison help! please M16A1    comparison help! please M16A1  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

comparison help! please M16A1
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next